Airflow: fairing vs. windshield

I bought a Harley windshield for DW's 2022 Freewheeler before she even took it onto the road. I should have known it wouldn't be adequate for her when on the ride home from the dealer delivery, her magnetic clip-on sunglasses blew off. She stopped and found them undamaged but she had to buy new prescription glasses for the trike.

Her previous trike FLHTCUI / DFT conversion had a fairing and she never complained about the airflow over 10+ years riding.

So.... my question is: has anybody replaced their windshield with a fairing and how did the airflow compare?

I bought a Harley windshield for DW's 2022 Freewheeler before she even took it onto the road. I should have known it wouldn't be adequate for her when on the ride home from the dealer delivery, her magnetic clip-on sunglasses blew off. She stopped and found them undamaged but she had to buy new prescription glasses for the trike.

Her previous trike FLHTCUI / DFT conversion had a fairing and she never complained about the airflow over 10+ years riding.

So.... my question is: has anybody replaced their windshield with a fairing and how did the airflow compare?

She Rode for 10 years with a faring and never complained so I guess the answer is obvious get her a faring four the Freewheeler ..

JES Fork Fangs

She had lowers too, so that may be a factor.

On my 2021 Freewheeler, windshield reduced wind blast 10%.

Fork Wind Deflectors from JES Custom Accents reduced wind blast the next 90%.

(Fork Wind Deflectors also known as Fork Fangs).

https://www.jescustomaccents.com/Wind-Deflectors_c34.htm

NOTE: DK Custom Products has documented that fork wind deflectors INCREASE engine temperatures by deflecting wind away from the engine.

The DK wings and tank lift did nothing for me. I also have the extra wide Clearview shield windshield. The fork deflectors from Jes eliminated the vast majority of the buffeting but the engine does run about 10° hotter based on measurements using my power vision.

I would consider a Batwing fairing if it did the same job of eliminating buffeting and not increasing engine temperature so I guess I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone to a Batwing fairing on a free wheeler and how it affected buffeting.

I would consider a Batwing fairing if it did the same job of eliminating buffeting and not increasing engine temperature so I guess I'd like to hear from anyone who has gone to a Batwing fairing on a free wheeler and how it affected buffeting.

Well, that's a really subjective question. Some riders consider ANY felt wind to be buffeting. I run a Batwing Fairing from Memphis Shades and have 15,000 miles on my '21 Free and what breezes I do feel have never been objectionable. My glasses don't shake, there's no wind on my torso, the only place I get wet in the rain is my ankles and a bit of spray on my goggles, unless I have to stop of course. :) I have no other wind deflection devices on the trike and have so far not encountered any heat issues with my M8 motor. Don't know if that helps or not.

G-21 Freewheeler-035.jpg

I was able to find the "fork fangs" off another bike (been sitting in a box for 20 years?) With a little modification (grinding off some material to clear the turn signals), they should fit. Going to try today.

Maybe she'll be happy with those.

I'm not too worried about higher running temperature. We ride in the summertime here in the north, but it never gets much above 30C. We do more riding in the southern states in the winter where the temperature rarely gets much above 85F.

Well, that's a really subjective question. Some riders consider ANY felt wind to be buffeting. I run a Batwing Fairing from Memphis Shades and have 15,000 miles on my '21 Free and what breezes I do feel have never been objectionable. My glasses don't shake, there's no wind on my torso, the only place I get wet in the rain is my ankles and a bit of spray on my goggles, unless I have to stop of course. :) I have no other wind deflection devices on the trike and have so far not encountered any heat issues with my M8 motor. Don't know if that helps or not.

View attachment 109648

That is good info. Buffeting is when your glasses and head shakes or your helmet shield flips up. When I first got my flrt I had just the hd windshield and on long rides the buffeting was so bad I would get headaches and blurred vision.

Your bike looks great with that fairing.

I had some old fangs off another bike and while they didn't fit exactly, with some grinding, they're on.

DW took it for a short ride and said they've improved things. After a long ride tomorrow we'll see if she needs more.

IMG_0078a.jpg

Stopped for an ice cream when we were out for a ride today. To our surprise, two Freewheelers pulled in to park behind us. Both of them had fangs like DW's. 3 in a row (I was just on my bike).

BTW, DW says the airflow is much improved with the fangs - didn't unbutton her jacket nor shake off her glasses once.

Maybe we won't a fairing. More time riding will tell.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back