6500 mile trip

Jul 21, 2012
Peary, Arkansas,USA
My wife and I and another couple will be leaving on 6 July 2015 for a trip to the Pacific Northwest, a total of about 6500 miles. We will be riding a 2012 Goldwing CSC Trike and pulling a cargo trailer. The other couple will be riding a Harley (two wheels). Will be visiting places in South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Washington, California, Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. We are planning about 30-45 days for this trip. If anyone has any suggestions on how to prepare and what to take, I would appreciate your advice.

Bring your cool (in Arkansas - cold) weather gear. If you do Logan's Pass and The Road To The Sun, don't be surprised to see snow drifts. It gets pretty chilly at the higher elevations. The pass is only open mid June - early September. It's an incredible ride.

Also watch out for large animals (Moose, Bear, Elk, Deer, etc.) on or near the road. Watch out for "IQ Challenged" tourists in cars that will stop in the middle of the road to take pictures of the "cute" Grizzly Bear cub while it's upset mother is coming to it's rescue. They're in big metal cans, you're not.

My wife and I have gone up to southern Alberta for the last 10 years and have traveled many different routes there and back. Beautiful country! I'm jealous.

Have a safe trip.

Sounds like a great trip. Carrying the very Min. has always worked best for me. Always laundry mats/Wally Worlds if ya got to have something. Ride Safe

We are on our 23rd day on our trip to the west coast. I would suggest some warn clothing and some for hot weather also. When we went through Death Valley the temp got up to 104 degrees and from San Francisco north the weather in the mornings are cool on the trikes. When we went into Idaho we used coats in the morning and by 10:00 it was in the 70's. We are in Yellowstone now and the temp in the morning is going to be in the 50's. We are headed into Montana tomorrow and then over to South Dakota where I'm sure the weather will be the same.

My wife and I and another couple will be leaving on 6 July 2015 for a trip to the Pacific Northwest, a total of about 6500 miles. We will be riding a 2012 Goldwing CSC Trike and pulling a cargo trailer. The other couple will be riding a Harley (two wheels). Will be visiting places in South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Washington, California, Colorado, Arizona, Oklahoma, Kansas, etc. We are planning about 30-45 days for this trip. If anyone has any suggestions on how to prepare and what to take, I would appreciate your advice.

Yeah, along with others, I'm jealous also. LOL

The only suggestion I would make is to carry a small computer, LT or tablet, and blog your trip right here on Trike Talk. A few pics would certainly be a bonus for us folks that must stay closer to home.

And have a safe & memorable trip!

Hmmm, thoughts for Kansas

Its already WARM here, wheat harvest is in full swing.
Temps in the mid to upper 90s
Due to the wet May, the humidity levels are HIGH in eastern Kansas.
Also a record crop of MISQUITOS, some of which carry west nile virus.
Motels might be better than camping in the east or central part of the state.

First, NO riding after dark in the central and western rural areas. Too many DEER and
small critters. It isnt worth the risk. On second thought, this applies to the whole state
just less deer in the east part.

Two, plan on being up and rolling at FIRST LIGHT. This time of year, it can be Warm by
noon and HOT by 2

Three, check your weather app on your smart phone everytime you fuel or get off the trike.
Storms brew up quick. Contrary to what the locals do, a tornado watch is NOT a
reason to go outside with your video camera.

Four, make your reservations NOW. North of us, is gonna be hard to find a motel room
during the Sturgis Rally the first week of Aug.
Also the custom cutters fill up small town motels when they are local cutting wheat.

Five, the wind blows South to North 99% of the time in Kansas, if you are running I-70
you will have to deal with it. The rumors are not stories, it can blow like a SOB in Gods county.

Six, in western rural parts, gas stations are about 30 miles apart. Plan accordingly IE
about 90 miles is a good time to get fuel and stretch. Thankfully we now have credit card pumps
in a lot of small towns. You can always get fuel......

Seven, every small town has a small town cop. They will be running radar, so SLOW DOWN for towns.
(this appears to be everywhere LOL)

If you have time coming thru Kansas, let me know your route and we see if we can find anything of interest
to see while you are here.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back