2020 Freewheeler: How to delete passenger grab handles cleanly

Jun 11, 2020
Saint Louis, MO, USA
2020 Freewheeler: How to delete passenger grab handles cleanly

Just picked up my Performance Orange Freewheeler a few weeks ago and am already off to the races taking stuff off of it. I just prefer a minimal look .. well, except for the pipes .. and probably a massive chrome light package off the nacelle like my Road King has. But anyway, I'll be going down to a solo seat and wanted to get rid of the grab handles while I was at it.

Question was, how do I delete the grab handles with the cleanest possible, factory look, also while providing weather protection for the screw holes that mounted the grab handles?

So here's the step by step.

1. Remove the seat.

2. Remove the left and right side covers.

3. I have big hands, and even I was able to jam them under and around the body panels to feel the two screws on each side that hold in the grab handles. Those screws are REALLY in there! They are Torx T27s. I used a small hand ratchet and a medium amount of patience to remove all four.

4. Note that the handles don't just slide off once the four screws are out. CAREFUL or else you'll scratch the body work, and/or take paint off with the handle (I did, a little bit, learn from my mistake). You basically want to pull straight out without any sort of rocking .. the top and bottom of each handle have small extensions that insert into each hole .. so don't wiggle .. a firm straight-out pull will free the handle.

All done! Handles are out! But now you have four ugly holes in your beautiful new trike. Back to work ...

I went to Home Depot and picked up the following

- 2 pkgs 462 606 Everbilt Pan Head Combo Machine Screws #10-24 x 1in, 3 screws per pack

- 2 pkgs Everbilt Screw Cover, flip top, in black, fits #10 screws, 3 per pack. 479 400, or 479 532, not sure

- 2 pkgs 320 774 Everbilt Nylon Lock Nuts, #10-24, 2 per pack

Simply thread the screw through the bottom of the cover, carefully use the same small ratchet with a 10mm socket to hold the nut in place underneath while you use a Phillips head to screw it in from the top. Get it to a good hand-tightness (do NOT ratchet or over-tighten lest you deform the screw cover, or worse, crack the body panel) .. then simply close the screw cap and you have a really nice clean delete that matches the factory covers for the sissy bar mount.

See pics! Best of luck.

:Coffee:

Mud

E553F42C-0D5F-48DD-A02C-F160F3A8C990.jpegA609D056-27E2-4C1C-A307-8013EF2D94EC.jpeg8FC29BD5-55F4-46DE-92C4-74164CF23EE5.jpegC08E9B12-0255-46EC-A391-641122E0D7F8.jpeg

It looks OK if you don't need handles to wrestle trike into its garage parking spot.I always ride solo,but need those handles to move trike.I really like the color of your trike.

me too...

It looks OK if you don't need handles to wrestle trike into its garage parking spot.I always ride solo,but need those handles to move trike.I really like the color of your trike.

When I position the Freewheeler in the Garage for the winter, I use 3 tire jacks to move it

into position and without those handles, I'd be s**t outta luck! :laugh:

Dante

Reactions: MDO
When I position the Freewheeler in the Garage for the winter, I use 3 tire jacks to move it

into position and without those handles, I'd be s**t outta luck! :laugh:

Dante

I'm not sure I understand, but with two fellow forum members talking about the same thing, I have to ask .. what do you mean you need the handles to move the trike? I'm trying to imagine a parking situation where the grab handles would help .. or where I'd want to really use them as leverage against the weight of the machine .. and I'm having trouble imagining. Aren't forward and reverse enough to park it?

Mind you I've had mine for a few weeks .. but wanting to anticipate the situation you are referring to.

Given that they are mounted directly into a plastic / fiberglass body panel .. I don't know how much leverage you could get out of them against the weight of the machine.

What do you think?

:Coffee:

Mud

I am looking forward to seeing what you do to use a solo seat. This is something I have thought about since I bought my FW.

I am looking forward to seeing what you do to use a solo seat. This is something I have thought about since I bought my FW.

Excited to give an update when it’s time. Planning to use the black custom HD solo seat with white contrast diamond stitching. Will have to fab a flap to cover the 2up spot, currently thinking of reusing half a seat pan and cutting with a Dremel. Will report back asap :D

Mud

I'm keeping those handles- I like reaching back and given them a squeeze.....oh wait we are talking about the FLRT handles. Naw they dont bother me. Dont even see um riding.Besides it's a good place to anchor the dog carrier. Good for lifting the body off when needed.And when I do carry a lady it's a good place to strap a couple of pouches so she has a place to put things.They always have things.

Your Freewheeler looks great, love the color. What interested me most, however, was getting to the bolts. I had one that was real loose and had no idea how to get to it or what wrench I needed. Thanks, your info was awesome.

I like having those handles back there. When I'm sitting at a red light I lean back and grab them. It's relaxing at the long red lights. Yes, I still watch for crazy cars. Even the wifey doesn't use them when she rides. She says she feels more secure holding on to me.

I like having those handles back there. When I'm sitting at a red light I lean back and grab them. It's relaxing at the long red lights. Yes, I still watch for crazy cars. Even the wifey doesn't use them when she rides. She says she feels more secure holding on to me.

I find they come in handy when kneeling down to do anything on the back of the trike without putting my sweaty hands on that paint I just waxed. Helps getting back up too. The knees don't work as well as they used to.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back