2019 HD Tri Glide Ultra - Meh

Anyone know the differences between the Pro Action and this H-D set?? I realize it's still pretty new. I'm still on the fence about replacing the rear shocks.

I had a set of Super Shox put on my TG two weeks before totaling it. The short time I had them, I really couldn't tell much difference.

To bad there's isn't some way to test a set of shocks before shelling out another thousand $$$.

Anyone know the differences between the Pro Action and this H-D set?? I realize it's still pretty new. I'm still on the fence about replacing the rear shocks.

I had a set of Super Shox put on my TG two weeks before totaling it. The short time I had them, I really couldn't tell much difference.

To bad there's isn't some way to test a set of shocks before shelling out another thousand $$$.

Not sure if the HD shock is air or hydraulic > But for the price, I would always do Pro-Action. Lifetime Warranty. bet ya don't get that from HD

http://street.pro-action.com/ call the builder & talk to him. George is a super guy & sets the shocks up great. DK also sells them. I got mine from George cause he is much closer if I ever need warranty work.

Harley has it all figured out.......Let the customer do the research and develment...

..............5. What do we need traction control for? I just don't get it?

You ever hydroplane one of these puppies and you might understand why. I've hydro'd my Ultra Tri-Glide twice and luckily didn't loose it. Saw the results of a young lady that was not that lucky. She was hospitalized and totaled the TG. It was a total mess.

8~\o

Not sure if the HD shock is air or hydraulic > But for the price, I would always do Pro-Action. Lifetime Warranty. bet ya don't get that from HD

http://street.pro-action.com/ call the builder & talk to him. George is a super guy & sets the shocks up great. DK also sells them. I got mine from George cause he is much closer if I ever need warranty work.

DK does have the exclusive on the 14" ProAction shocks. Can only purchase them through DK and for the trike that's the way to go imo.

I finally got to see a 2019 HD Tri Glide Ultra at a relatively local dealer. I was wondering about numerous new little things on the 2019 and if it might be worth a jump from my 2017 M8 TGU with 7500 miles. The answer in a nutshell is "Meh". For someone upgrading to the newer M8 engine, it would be a different story but for existing customers such as myself, I did not see enough improvements to warrant current consideration of the new trike and I will explain by listing my concerns and appreciations of the new ride:

1. The new coil over single source adjustable shocks and shock connections raise the new trike to the same rear muffler height as my 2017 with DK Customs Lift Kit (7" from the ground at the bottom of the muffler tip) which keeps the trike from looking like it is sagging in the rear. The seat now removes with one hand twist knurled bolt.

2. New front fork rates that likely improve the ride.

3. The Infotainment system has a new look but do not know if it has increased functionality?

4. The 107 ci M8's run hot and I am wondering if the new 114's run even hotter? I also could not get any explanation if there have been internal changes in the engine to ameliorate some of the problems that some M8's are experiencing such as loss of trans fluid into the primary, failed oil pumps, etc.

5. What do we need traction control for? I just don't get it?

6.Some of the new trike colors are not that appealing.

I realized today that I have everything I like on my 2017 and so do not see appreciable changes to the new trike that are compelling enough to contemplate a change to the MY2019. The salesman asked if I would like to demo the trike and I told him that I was not interested but thanked him for his generosity but said to him that demo rides are not "free". He said that they are "free" but I explained to him that test rides sometimes end up in purchases that do cost money:p Since I did not see enough compelling changes, I didn't want to waste the dealership's generosity and test ride the new trike out of curiosity although I really was curious if the suspension and/or engine made much difference in the feel of the trike? I guess I will happily rack up the miles on the 2017 and see what 2020 brings and how the new 114 performs from a reliability standpoint?

my 2018 tg doesn't run hot as I have heard others say about the M8

2019 TG

Saw the new TG and had a few questions. Shock setup is interesting. Shocks are gas filled. Riders feedback will soon tell if HD got it right yet.

I too wonder about traction control. If you are hydroplaning not much is going to help. Dual purpose start and reverse switch (???) Price went up about 1600. These things should come with a toilet for what they cost now. Really like my '15 and that devalued 2K in the past few months. Makes it tough to consider a trade.

My wife and I did demo a '19 TG at Harley's 115th. We currently have a '15 TG with a Stage 1 upgrade that made a significant improvement in power. My seat of the pants impression for the 114 is that it will blow the doors off my 103 even with the upgrade. Didn't notice any heat issues, but the prescribed demo route wasn't all that long.

As for the new suspension, all I can say is: Wow, huge difference in ride quality! And we had no idea if it was even set anywhere close for a rider and passenger. Also, the suspension in the front forks has been upgraded too.

There are significant improvements to the infotainment system. The radio boots up almost instantly, as does the navigation. The four hard buttons are gone so the screen is now as wide as the opening in the fairing. It's all touch screen so the functions of those missing buttons are still there. I didn't get to "play" with it too much, but it seems more intuitive than the old one.

Prior to riding the trike, I was required to watch a video that explained all the benefits of the updated brakes/traction control. It's all pretty impressive when you learn the details of how it all works.

It is a pretty significant price increase, but there are a lot of improvements that contribute to that increase.

Am I going to trade up? Right now I would say unlikely. But I'm not entirely ruling it out.

My local dealer called today to see if I wanted to trade my 17 :p

Don't do it Jack. Hey, I have read 2 different 1st. ride reviews on the FXDR & both riders like the 114 power, but had issues with the steering with the huge tires & the ergonomics.

The forward foot controls combined with the bars & seating position put a strain on their back.

Don't do it Jack. Hey, I have read 2 different 1st. ride reviews on the FXDR & both riders like the 114 power, but had issues with the steering with the huge tires & the ergonomics.

The forward foot controls combined with the bars & seating position put a strain on their back.

I will ride my 17 til the wheels fall off:p

I will ride my 17 til the wheels fall off:p

Jack, I am sort of with you on the above sentiments. I have noticed that on my 2017 M8 TGU where the engine was replaced at 15 miles, that after about 5500 miles, it flat stopped using any oil. My 2016 103ci TGU almost didn't use any oil at all. I went on a 6500 mile trip with that jewel and it only burned less than 1 quart of oil for the entire trip.

Other than the color which is solid blue and not my most favorite color, everything on the Tri Glide is functioning perfectly. With the mods I made to it including the DK Customs Custom Lift Kit and Floor Board Extenders, cup holder, rear bumper, luggage rack, HD Get a Grip grips, AirHawk cushion and Love Jugs, there is nothing that I want to do other than ride my trike like you until the wheels fall off.

I do have ESP until December 2021 so that should give me about 3.25 years of worry free riding ahead. I do my own maintenance and very carefully review all systems during that time and keep a close eye on the tranny fluid that has not budged a fraction since I replaced it "prematurely" at the 5k mile self-service. Additionally, after each ride, I wipe down the trike and make sure that there are no bugs on the front fork legs which keeps them looking like new.

After serious consideration and looking at the 2019 TGU's that a couple of the dealers have, I totally realized that I do not want to be a "test pilot" for their 114 iteration. Sort of like loving the one you know rather than the mystery of the one you don't.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back