2014 Harley Trike Weight Capacity

I'd like to make a suggestion. I've never met you or your riding partner. I'm 260 pounds, my wife is 130. There isn't a whole lot of seat space, knee room, or tummy space on that trike. Back seat person can only go back so far. I would suggest based on your questions here and on the other forum you and your partner go sit on a trike for a while and see how comfortable it will be. The few times wife and I ride 2 up I have to remove my backrest to make room for both of us. They also sell a tour pack relocator that will give you a couple of inches, not much more. Hope I was delicate enough. Sometimes it just isn't practical for two +sized people to share a bike.

Good Luck.

I'd like to make a suggestion. I've never met you or your riding partner. I'm 260 pounds, my wife is 130. There isn't a whole lot of seat space, knee room, or tummy space on that trike. Back seat person can only go back so far. I would suggest based on your questions here and on the other forum you and your partner go sit on a trike for a while and see how comfortable it will be. The few times wife and I ride 2 up I have to remove my backrest to make room for both of us. They also sell a tour pack relocator that will give you a couple of inches, not much more. Hope I was delicate enough. Sometimes it just isn't practical for two +sized people to share a bike.

Good Luck.

Thanks Steve. Your right, I have lost about 150 pounds since retiring back in 2011 and weigh about 240. My wife is a little bigger then I am now but very shy about getting on a bike with me. I think once I get a trike this may loosing her up a little bit. If not I go solo.

Thanks Steve. Your right, I have lost about 150 pounds since retiring back in 2011 and weigh about 240. My wife is a little bigger then I am now but very shy about getting on a bike with me. I think once I get a trike this may loosing her up a little bit. If not I go solo.

Don't sweat it, I weigh in at 220/5'11 and wife at 235/ 5'10, any big touring bike can handle the weight. Any touring bike trike conversion can also handle it.

If you move the tour pac back a couple of inches it is like a completely different seating on the trike. Big difference. I used to have trouble with the room, now with 2" more the wife has plenty room to move around !

My wife and I sat on a beautiful black '14 yesterday. She didn't want to get off, but until we win the lottery,no new trig life for us. ( she did say we could trade in my V-Rod in to offset the cost, I reminded her she can sell it after I die and not a minute sooner.) The dealer did point out that the tour pack on it can be adjusted in a few different positions.

Bob, you and your bride cruise on down to your local HD dealer and give any Harley trike the 'sit test'. I don't believe the basic configuration of the trikes from 09 to 14 changed much. You know now that you can adjust the tour pack back an inch or two if necessary. The few times we ride 2 up, I have to take out the back rest to give both of us a little more room, besides it makes it a lot easier for wife to get on the back. All the arm rest, cup holders, and other goodies can come later.

HINT: Don't take your check book if you are like me and prone to impulse buying.....
Ah hell, GO FOR IT!

On our 2 wheeled Touring bikes we have always moved the Tour-Pak back 2.5", and we did on the Tri-Glide also. It doesn't sound like much, but it really makes a big difference.

Also, we have seen some folks move it back as much as 3.5". Depending on how much weight you put in the Tour-Pak, it can make the front end a bit light.

Tri-Glides don't stop as fast as 2 wheeled bikes, but they still stop MUCH faster than most cages.

I regularly practice emergency stops and even 2-up, pulling a 350 lb trailer, I have never had a problem stopping very quickly.

Disclaimer- I don't regularly ride in big city traffic where everyone seems to be going 70-80 with hardly any space between each vehicle (ala SoCal)

Bob, you and your bride cruise on down to your local HD dealer and give any Harley trike the 'sit test'. I don't believe the basic configuration of the trikes from 09 to 14 changed much. You know now that you can adjust the tour pack back an inch or two if necessary. The few times we ride 2 up, I have to take out the back rest to give both of us a little more room, besides it makes it a lot easier for wife to get on the back. All the arm rest, cup holders, and other goodies can come later.

HINT: Don't take your check book if you are like me and prone to impulse buying.....
Ah hell, GO FOR IT!

Thanks Steve, and your right. I saw a 2014 for the first time a couple of days ago and if it wasn't black and was in the color scheme I want I think the checkbook had a chance of coming out. Safe riding to you and your better half.

Bob

On our 2 wheeled Touring bikes we have always moved the Tour-Pak back 2.5", and we did on the Tri-Glide also. It doesn't sound like much, but it really makes a big difference.

Also, we have seen some folks move it back as much as 3.5". Depending on how much weight you put in the Tour-Pak, it can make the front end a bit light.

Tri-Glides don't stop as fast as 2 wheeled bikes, but they still stop MUCH faster than most cages.

I regularly practice emergency stops and even 2-up, pulling a 350 lb trailer, I have never had a problem stopping very quickly.

Disclaimer- I don't regularly ride in big city traffic where everyone seems to be going 70-80 with hardly any space between each vehicle (ala SoCal)

Thanks Kevin, its good to know the tour pack can be adjusted back that far. I really can't wait, not only to try a trike but buy one.

To the OP. Harley has lawyers that tell them they must put disclaimers, like weight limits, on everything. Now I have personally seen guys that look like the bike should be riding them, along with a BSR almost as big, and luggage to the roof on top of that. There is no way in the world they are not exceeding the GVWR of the bikes. Does it cause strain beyond a smaller couple? Sure, but the same is true of a car. More weight equals more stress. I personally believe that the limit is a guideline, and in your situation, I'd ignore it, myself. YMMV.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back