2012 tri glide 100 mile first impressions

Apr 23, 2012
Oceanside,NY,USA
New to trikes so I hope this helps others new to trikes in settling anxiety:)

Smile factor: I wasn't smiling that much since i was staying focused on the road but it brought smiles on other folks. PLAN ON SMILING NEXT 100 MILES>

Fun Factor: It was more fun than being in my cage and I hate to admit it more fun than my 2 wheeled machine.

Stress Factor: Felt more secure and so did my better half ( she really felt more comfortable and almost fell asleep back there)

Handling: Takes getting used to especially as you go into a turn. Normal response is to accelerate and not brake as you come out of the turn. I found you need to do the opposite due to G forces wanting to throw you off.
SO take it easy till one gets used to the physics.

Braking: Front brake works fine but rear brakes needed a little more pressure. Have not tested a lock up situation. Will try this in a parking lot after I brake in brakes more.

Acceleration: As I got used to characteristics I was able to get off line with smooth throttle response. Plenty of power for now. NO mountain ranges to test out a fully loaded condition yet.

Fit and Finish: This is by far the nicest paint job I have seen come out of the factory. The color is BIG BLUE PEARL and when the sun hits it WOW. Problem is we have not had much sun. So far everything works just fine.

Engine sound: From what i have read from other posts i will let her break in before doing exhaust mods. Sound is nice and smooth for now.

Heat issues: Air temp on Long Island, NY is a balmy 60 degrees. So, hard to tell what will happen when it is 90 and in NYC traffic coming home from a ride outside of the Tri state area. But it did get hot enough for the rear cyclinder to shut down so the engine can cool off. Worked OK for now. TBD.

Modifications to date: Will update later, tired of typing for now:)

It is raining here for the next couple of days but the weekend is looking great so will continue to update with more miles and smiles!

It sounds like you are settling in nicely. My biggest adjustment in transitioning from 2 to 3 wheels was the centerfuge effect on tight turns. I find that if I lean my body into the turn a bit, the effect is lessened and I feel more confident in the turn. Also, a little rear brake through the first part of the turn can settle in the suspension and make for a smoother turn. My 2 cents. Keep the smiles rolling by...

Handling: Takes getting used to especially as you go into a turn. Normal response is to accelerate and not brake as you come out of the turn. I found you need to do the opposite due to G forces wanting to throw you off.
SO take it easy till one gets used to the physics.

. !
First thing to do; Rear lift kit, tGlide stuff .com.ThumbUp

All other information a side... Your trike looks good on you! ThumbUp

Keep riding and in no time at all you'll wonder why you didn't get a trike... any trike a long time ago! Enjoy and ride safe!

100 miles???? Wife put almost 200 on hers the first day. Went back in for the 1000 mile service less than a week after she picked it up. Ride that thing... no, beat the hell out of it. You got 2 years to find all the warranty stuff that can go wrong. Have fun, ENJOY it!

Great assesment. Many similiarities compared to my first ride. I think we all experience the same things and the adjustment factor varies by individual. Have fun and be safe.

I have had my 2012 triglide Shriner model, a little over a month, forced to go to three wheels, due to bad ankle/surgery. Hated to sell my '05 Ultra Peace Officer, with miles of chrome, but couldn't hold it up anymore. Was either trade for a Triglide or a Mustang convertible. (LOL) Took a little getting used to in turns, but as previously recommended, slow down, apply more rear brake, then accelerate as straightening out. I too, lean my body into the turn, and it helps. Wife loves it. Am slowly adding chrome, love chrome!

Have over 9000 miles on my 2011 Triglide since mid last June. I am very comfortable on mine now. Rear breaking into the turn and accelerating out works. If I accelerate too much coming out of the turn it seems to wheel hop in the front some. No ill effects from it though so far!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back