107 engine stalls ocassionally at idle

Well I just back from the dealer and idle and starting complaints are ok, so after buying about 6 machines from this one, I guess it maybe time to contact another with my issues. Been patient and understanding but this is being pushed aside I feel. If moco knows they have an issue and has decided not to cover it, then it's either give up riding or eventually go back to metrics. I find it stupid to come to a complete stop struggle to find neutral in a busy intersection to restart it, coasting while in gear and restarting it I feel is much safer. Your already in gear, its just a matter of pulling in the clutch then starting , then releasing clutch. Other Service writer did agree.:laugh: My thinking its an intermittent thing! Guess the customer that rides it most is wrong according to moco.

Well I just back from the dealer and idle and starting complaints are ok, so after buying about 6 machines from this one, I guess it maybe time to contact another with my issues. Been patient and understanding but this is being pushed aside I feel. If moco knows they have an issue and has decided not to cover it, then it's either give up riding or eventually go back to metrics. I find it stupid to come to a complete stop struggle to find neutral in a busy intersection to restart it, coasting while in gear and restarting it I feel is much safer. Your already in gear, its just a matter of pulling in the clutch then starting , then releasing clutch. Other Service writer did agree.:laugh: My thinking its an intermittent thing! Guess the customer that rides it most is wrong according to moco.

If Honda comes out with a built in house Trike....My 2017 Tri-Glide is gone...And I'm a Harley guy...I even have the ''T'' Shirts to prove it...They Harley shifted their research and development department from their engineers, To the buyers...Us... There is only one Dealer that tells me the truth ....The Two dealers near me never do, And i was just at one of them this morning....They Tell me that they never heard of Oil mitigation, stalling problems , switch pack failures, And get this, Two years ago when i asked if the Tri-Glides had reverse motor failures, He look me right in the eyes and said nope not any...Then in the course of the conversation thats strange i say just had to have my reverse motor rebuilt by a guy here in Jersey, And lucky it he only charged 95 dollars i handed him the motor and in a half hour it was done...Now this is the get this part.....The Harley service manger says, Can can you give me his number, We have two back here that have to be rebuilt..

I thought you just said we never had one go bad....And at that i just turned around and as they would say about Elvis.......''BOB'' Has left the building ....

Well after many years turning wrenches for other buisinesses and myself f I had my own for almost 9 years before returning to my military career and being on both sides of the counter I guess I really know nothing mechanical as per my wife so I guess I really don't know what I'm talking about :xzqxz: being that it's an intermittent problem and if their computer shows nothing than I guess I will just run it or get hit while stopping to restart it. I JUST CHECKED IT COLD AND HOT IDLE WITH HER 14 TRI AND IT IS APPROXIMATELY 200 RPM'S HIGHER but I suppose its supposed to be that according to moco.:D Last HD for me to!

Ironic as I came from another site that has m8 for it's own pages I haven't seen one exclusively for any other engines, so what does that say ? Those of you that haven't had any issues good luck is all I can say. :)

Ironic as I came from another site that has m8 for it's own pages I haven't seen one exclusively for any other engines, so what does that say ? Those of you that haven't had any issues good luck is all I can say. :)

It says it's the 1st new engine in 10 years. I'm sorry people are having problems, but it sure seems to be more M8 Tri-Glides than Freewheelers, so could it somehow be tied to the cooling differences?

I am lucky, but my time could be coming soon.

Do you realize you can start our trikes in gear by holding the brake, you don't have to find neutral. Pull in the clutch, hold either brake & start it up.

As far as Honda building a factory trike, I'm going to contact Honda North America & plead with them to make a trike! :)

Panheads,Shovelheads,Ironhead,Evo,Twin Cam.Been there.This oil cooled M8 is the best pushrod driven,OHV engine the MoCo ever built.Yeah I know about the M8 forum and the problems.Many are stage 2,3,4.Those guys drank the purple kool-aid and forget that cops that ride Harleys everyday use stock motors.Tell ya what tho'.If the MoCo had brought out the '18 Freewheeler with a Revo motor in it...I woulda been all over it.

Do you realize you can start our trikes in gear by holding the brake, you don't have to find neutral. Pull in the clutch, hold either brake & start it up.

As far as Honda building a factory trike, I'm going to contact Honda North America & plead with them to make a trike! :)

Mike...

I think everyone realizes that you can start it in gear by pulling in the clutch and stepping on the brake [either the hand or foot brake] The problem arises when your starting though an intersection....The engine stalls, You hit the brake...And the guy behind you crawls up your ass...:xzqxz:

Mike...

I think everyone realizes that you can start it in gear by pulling in the clutch and stepping on the brake [either the hand or foot brake] The problem arises when your starting though an intersection....The engine stalls, You hit the brake...And the guy behind you crawls up your ass...:xzqxz:

He mentioned that he had to struggle to find neutral to re-start it & the question about starting the trikes in gear comes up every few months, so some new users don't know.

He mentioned that he had to struggle to find neutral to re-start it & the question about starting the trikes in gear comes up every few months, so some new users don't know.

Could be....:Shrug:Some dealers didn't know that early on till the complaints came rolling in.:xzqxz:.

And speaking of starting in gear, The only two wheelers that i owned that would start in gear with the kickstand down were my Harleys and my Victory...All the others kickstand down no start...

IMO, The MOCO knows they have a problematic LS Switch

I hope they do not wait til there is a terrible accident and lawsuit to fix this problem

Reactions: MDO
IMO, The MOCO knows they have a problematic LS Switch

I hope they do not wait til there is a terrible accident and lawsuit to fix this problem

In my case i know its not the switch , As soon as i put on an adjustable clutch lever and found the right setting now the stalling is all but gone, My problem was the very narrow friction point in the clutch engagement...Now i can feather/slip the clutch a little...

It seems that if the rpm's fall just a little under 850 its like turning off a light switch..

I didn't quote, but it will start in gear with clutch disengaged, but coming to a stop to restart in neutral or trying to find neutral while coasting or stopped is an issue. The second service writer verified it with trikes on display, even read it from the owners manual to him and the repair order says it was not designed to start in gear. Called me back and admitted I was right as he verified it. :) I 'm confused!

I didn't quote, but it will start in gear with clutch disengaged, but coming to a stop to restart in neutral or trying to find neutral while coasting or stopped is an issue. The second service writer verified it with trikes on display, even read it from the owners manual to him and the repair order says it was not designed to start in gear. Called me back and admitted I was right as he verified it. :) I 'm confused!

The missing words are :"Not" designed to start in gear "Without " the brake being applied📞

In my case i know its not the switch , As soon as i put on an adjustable clutch lever and found the right setting now the stalling is all but gone, My problem was the very narrow friction point in the clutch engagement...Now i can feather/slip the clutch a little...

It seems that if the rpm's fall just a little under 850 its like turning off a light switch..

I'm glad you got the clutch figured out so you don't stall it any more.:clapping:

Is there enough adjustment with the lever as the clutch wears?

This is what I don't like about a hydraulic non adjustable clutch

Well today I took my wife to work on it, save it twice from stalling on the way. Got back to town about 40 couple of miles both ways. Topped off the fuel tank then since it was nice I decided to stop at a park just to walk some, Got back on the trike after my walk and reached down to put in neutral as I unsuccessfully couldn't locate it with my foot, kept going from 1st and into 2nd. Then I tried several times to get in reverse, not happening so I put my feet down and rolled it back. Got home, tried it in the garage and the damn thing went into reverse, so what ever it is. It's an intermittent thing, very frustrating I stalled it out twice after leaving the park on the way home. I know something is amiss as I have been around bikes and rode them overseas and stateside. I figure to have over 30 years alone riding and rode on the back of my dad's bikes as a kid . It's like with the low rpm's and the cluct engaging almost right away causes the stalling to occur at times, other times it doesn't. I experimented today by bring the rpm's up to a 1000 and then it by passes the parade mode and it again almost stalled , so I am thinking its a clutch switch thing intermittently !

Is there enough adjustment with the lever as the clutch wears?

This is what I don't like about a hydraulic non adjustable clutch

There are 8 setting's All i use is the # 2 setting, I just came back from my dealer getting the trans oil to the primary problem checked [More on that in a separate post] and i did 203 miles , Some of them through small towns with plenty of traffic lights, And not once did it even think of stalling.. :Shrug:

2017 harley wanting to stall

I discovered by accident on a Harley forum that a faulty clutch switch was the culprit when my 2017 triglide wanted to stall, had a pulsating idle, and would not start in gear when clutch was disengaged, foot on brake. Once the clutch switch was replaced............good to go again.........until 21000 when I had to have pistons and rings replaced due excessive carbon buildup back cylinder (rings not compatible with pistons I heard)

I bought my 2018 Tri-Glide in October 2017. Right out of the gate I found myself stalling with RPM's idling around 800 or below...

I thought it was me and tolerated it for a short bit. Never had a problem with my clutch skills with my previous 7 bikes all Harley's.

In January of this year I had a Stage II Torque kit installed and never looked back. I like the added power and the bike feels solid and strong. For the most part I can keep up with my 2-wheeled friends. No stalling.

After having been through a few earlier motor upgrades on previous bikes I'm somewhat familiar will air fuel maps...

This issue reeks of mapping issues... just my 2 cents

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back