Will my new trike fit in a u-haul 6x12

Picking up my new old 1800 with a Motor Trike Adventure kit I will probably end up hauling it back home due to weather especially in Oregon. U-Haul has a 6x12 one way for $218.00 not bad considering I am spending $13K, question will it fit if anybody knows or has hauled there trike in a trailer that size I would appreciate the feedback.

Thanks,
P.S. here is the link if anybody wants to see how it's coming along

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Island-Trikes/166697323367941

Last edited:
That is too cool. I like seeing them built. I was fortunate to watch as the two wheeler was transformed in what I call "RUBY" today.. Kinda brings a tear to your eyes lol.

ENJOY !!! RIDE ON I say

ThumbUp

Tony T of I V E :xzqxz:

Because I'm probably too curious for my own good, I went onto Motor Trike's web site, under the Adventure details page, they list the specs (without rake). According to them, the Adventure is has an overall width of 55" and an overall length of 110". If you're raking it, with a Motor Trike rake, you can figure on the "excessive side" and say 5" of length there, if you add a bumper, lets say another 4"? So.. Based on their specs a 6x12 trailer should be plenty wide/long for you. Like badass said though.. The ramp may be a problem! Also, make sure you have a way to secure the front and back of the trike! Not much worse than getting home, to find your trike had shifted and rubbed a fender going down the road!!!

I've had my Harley/Champion in a 6' X 12' UHaul a couple of times. It is has a width of52" and just barely fit. The gotcha with the UHaul is the trailer is 6' X 12' inside but the entrance to the trailer where the back ramp attaches is much narrower than that. I believe I didn't have a lot more than an inch to spare on either side.

And the ramp was an issue. It is steep enough that when you reach the top and the front end begins to settle into the trailer the trike will high-center before the rear wheels will go in.

I had to solve this problem twice. The first time I was able to find a sidewalk with a high enough curb that I could back the trailer up toward the sidewalk; drop the ramp onto the sidewalk; drive the trike onto the sidewalk, up the ramp and into the trailer. The second time I found a fairly steep driveway at the rear of a Harley dealer and did the same thing.

Eventually, I made some ramps to drop the tailgate onto out of some 2" x 8" inch boards of gradually shortening lengths fastened on top of each. (8', 6', 4', 2', 1') Never needed them again so I don't if they would have worked.

I use my enclosed snowmobile trailer(7 x 20 feet)to haul mine.
Make sure you have enough room to tie it down.
I can drive mine in on the fod down ramp.

SnowBlowerandTrailer001.jpg

I have loaded mine several times with just 2 ramps.If you have a drop down gate (or ramp) all you need is for the 2 rear wheels to raise to avoid the "crown" while loading.Don't know if it would work with running boards tho'.
Good luck with it,
Tip

Unless you have a trailer with plenty of room AND good tiedown points to keep the rig from shifting AND a very shallow ramp angle, I'd be very leary of hauling the rig. My vote would be to just ride it. Like someone said, invest the $$ on warm riding gear and enjoy your new scoot. The wings got good weather protection and heated seats/grips. Wife and I went on a couple hundred miler a few weeks ago when the temps were low 30's and she did ok (I ride all winter except when there is snow/ice). Wife is strictly "fair weather", but with good gloves, liners in the jacket and pants, and warm socks, she was fine. Enjoy the ride!

Because I'm probably too curious for my own good, I went onto Motor Trike's web site, under the Adventure details page, they list the specs (without rake). According to them, the Adventure is has an overall width of 55" and an overall length of 110". If you're raking it, with a Motor Trike rake, you can figure on the "excessive side" and say 5" of length there, if you add a bumper, lets say another 4"? So.. Based on their specs a 6x12 trailer should be plenty wide/long for you. Like badass said though.. The ramp may be a problem! Also, make sure you have a way to secure the front and back of the trike! Not much worse than getting home, to find your trike had shifted and rubbed a fender going down the road!!!

get some 2x4 nail them between tire and side of trailor.

I have running boards and can load it in my trailer above.
I have about 2 inches of clearance.

I also tie it down this way.
Put eye bolt in front of the front tire.
Put a come-a-long from the bolt, then around the tire(through the rim) and back to the bolt.
Put a eye bolt behind the trike and then a come-a-long from the eye bolt to the trikes trailer hitch and then back to the eye bolt.
Secure the come-a-longs.
I also leave it in neutral.
Never had a problem doing it this way.

I think Brogan got it right! But if that's not an option, invest the trailer rental money in a heated jacket - which you will continue to use!

:Agree: This sounds the best to me + no risk of scraping the bike against the side of a "tight" trailer. How far's the ride? How cold?

I hauled my 2012 wing with Adventure kit home in a 6 x 12, it had plenty of room on sides and length. My trailer has the ramp door with a 62" opening. One thing that you need to watch is that the door spring cables are inside the door opening, you really have to watch them as you go up the ramp.

I am still watching the weather in hopes that the weekend will be good, it is not the cold I am worried about I can deal with that it is the rain. This will be my first time on a trike and if it is pouring rain that is not the time to be learning and getting to know your trike. That is why I am looking at a trailer to rent, by the sounds of what you all have said I think it might work in a U-Haul 6x12 it is worth a try..

For that amount of rental price, I don't understand why you don't buy a good utility trailer. Mine is 6' 7" X 12' GVW of 3000, and carrying capacity of I believe 2200 lbs. Full width ramp, 4' long. I found with the Roadsmith, I had to back to a curb and load, as I high-centered where the ramp joins the bed. I now have built an adapter that extends the ramp another 4' and have no problems. I paid $2400 for the trailer (not counting tax and tags) and I'm sure the trailer will last for years and years. If you don't want to be stuck with storing a trailer, buy it anyway, move your new trike, then sell the trailer as soon as you get home, and I bet you'll be at least $2000 ahead of renting one!!

I can assure you the utility trailer is MUCH lighter than the U-Haul trailer!!