Which is the best trike?

Feb 9, 2012
Wales UK
Hy all, I need some of your valued opinions. I’m looking for another trike. I have decided to sell my Harley Ultra classic with Lehman renegade rear end. I’ve had the trike from new in 2008, but history has shown that I keep trikes for no more than 4 years. I had a BMW R1200C Grinnall trike for 4 years from new, then I had the Triumph Rocket 3 Grinnall trike which was totally unreliable and sold it in 2 years, the Harley I’ve had since. I really like the Harley, it’s been reliable and has done all I hoped, it’s just time for a change. Fuel economy will be a consideration so something with good mpg and at least 40mpg or over. I live in the UK and fuel prices are expensive. Don’t care if its car engine based or motor cycle based. I’m not ruling anything other than Triumph out. I want something that’s as reliable as a BMW or Harley. I’m at the moment thinking of the BMW K1600, or the big Kawasaki. If you have a great trike can you tell me about it? Thanks.

Don't buy anything until you try a big ol' Goldwing 1800 trike!! Can't beat 'em for luxury touring, looks, dependability - - and no heat on your feet & legs!! We've had ours all over the US and seen and done things we'd never be able to do on a smaller trike!!

Just try every different model you can until you find the right one for YOU!!

Hy all, I need some of your valued opinions. I’m looking for another trike. I have decided to sell my Harley Ultra classic with Lehman renegade rear end. I’ve had the trike from new in 2008, but history has shown that I keep trikes for no more than 4 years. I had a BMW R1200C Grinnall trike for 4 years from new, then I had the Triumph Rocket 3 Grinnall trike which was totally unreliable and sold it in 2 years, the Harley I’ve had since. I really like the Harley, it’s been reliable and has done all I hoped, it’s just time for a change. Fuel economy will be a consideration so something with good mpg and at least 40mpg or over. I live in the UK and fuel prices are expensive. Don’t care if its car engine based or motor cycle based. I’m not ruling anything other than Triumph out. I want something that’s as reliable as a BMW or Harley. I’m at the moment thinking of the BMW K1600, or the big Kawasaki. If you have a great trike can you tell me about it? Thanks.
Did you have problems with the Rocket, or the Grinnal conversion?
I'm still on two wheels, but like my Rocket so much, will go for Rocket trike when the time comes. I'll be hitting 30,000 miles in a couple of weeks.
I haven't seen any Grinnal this side of the pond.
Motortrike seems to be the conversion for yanks.

If by big Kawasaki you are referring to the Vulcan 1700 then I would look into Champion's IRS kit... one of the best looking trikes out there. They moved the rear axle back and with an EZ Steer the front axle is moved forward which makes any trike look and perform better (I hate the short stubby looking trikes). Combine that with great classic looks and modern Kawasaki technology it makes for a great looking and performing trike.

Have you considered a Grinnall Scorpion 111 reverse trike? I had one along with a BMW K/Hannigan and a Honda GL/RoadSmith. The GS111 got the best fuel mileage [more aerodynamic] of the three and was the most fun to drive. The new BMW/Hannigan 1600 on paper looks like a fine machine that should use less fuel than the GL.

Sorry for the time I have taken to reply. I had to attend a funeral 300 miles from home. BeHereNow it was the bike I hated. First 6000 miles were totally great, then the final bearing gave up the ghost at about 6000 miles, I'm going back 4 years but it was taken to a Welsh dealership to be fixed, and it was not bought from them. It shouldn't make a difference I know but I just had a bad feeling that they wern't to concerned with the work. After they took an age to fix it and a real long time getting Triumph to accept that the bearing failiure wasn't as a result of the bike being triked. It never ran well again. I should have realised on the way home from the dealership, when it wouldn't start on two occassions and I had to get a roadside assist guy out on both occassions. the it was a new battery and much help and support fron the Rocket 3 owners club here in the UK and could get out once in a while! After many visits to the dealership it was getting no better, finally I begged Triumph to do an investigation on the bike, the refused and basically told me that as I had triked the bike I was on my own. I just love them. I never understood why dropping the bottom end of the engine meant that if the bike didn't fire on the first or second attempt the battery wen't flat! Luckily for me the guy that bought the trike at a bargain price was an excellent mechanic and had something of a museum for Triumph with about 40 bikes. A few weeks after he took it away his wife rode it from the UK to Russia and back about 3400 miles in 2 weeks without any problem!!! So if you do trike it don't expect anything but rudeness from Triumph. As you have done 30000 miles you must have a post 2006/7 bike or you are Blessed. I think Triumph spent a little more time on checking the fitting of the bearings, after they had so many problems with the earlier ones. I will say that when it ran it was the best trike ever, it held the road and corners at high speed and up to 60 mph nothing will live with it. I would buy a kit from a local dealer as it's difficult to get parts for some trikes. Ben721364 I have bought two new trikes from Grinnall, and found Mark the owner OK, what I'm tempted to do is to wait until next spring and order then. If I order from a good trike builder it will be a 3 to 6 month timetable before I get it so the weather will be pretty grim by then-it's pretty grim at the moment! Since my first post on this thread I was in a BMW dealership in Norfolk and had a good look at the K1600 and i must say its very nice. I also like the R100RT as well. The jury's out. Thanks for the feedback.

Honda GL1800, mine has 154,000 miles and has never been touched. Not many brands will do that. Still runs and looks like new. Motortrike kit,

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back