What I found out talking to HD today

Trampas

1000+ Posts
Aug 27, 2016
Des Moines IA US
I called Harley Davidson inquiring about how come they don't make a front mud flap for the triglide, they have them for the rear. Found out they do not recommend a front mud flap on bikes because of the oil cooler, it takes air away from it to help cool it, at least that is what they told me.

I know quite a few on here have a front mud flap to help keep dirt, mud, and rocks from hitting the oil cooler, and I understand why. He told me they did alot of testing and that is why no front mud flap for the triglide or other bikes with stock oil coolers.

What is your take on this since I know people on here have them plus some of the other Harley forums saying they have a front mud flap???

Basically I'm still going to get one, not sure which one yet, still looking, and I will take my chances I guess since Harley doesn't recommend a front mud flap.

All for now Trampas

Scott and Bob probably know more about this issue than I ever will so I might be exposing my ignorance on the the subject, but just brain storming a basically empty knowledge. I'm not recommending, only making a suggestion. I have no real experience or qualifications to press the idea. It seems to me a cooling fan system would far out weigh any problem the mudflap would create if you are concerned with what Harley has told you as to why they don't recommend. If you are set on having the mudflap it might be something worthy of investigating. There are most likely other avenues I'm unaware that will reduce heat. It might be worth your time investigating. :Shrug:

Some one tell HD that under the front fender, there is a big rubber round object that contacts the ground, as a mud flap does not. The scientist will tell you that round object sweeps the air up into the cooler as it goes around and around.

My oil temp temp gauge displays the same temp , with or without.

Then add the question as to the heat exiting the cooler is directed on to the voltage regulator, chrome cover needed?

Scott and Bob probably know more about this issue than I ever will so I might be exposing my ignorance on the the subject, but just brain storming a basically empty knowledge. I'm not recommending, only making a suggestion. I have no real experience or qualifications to press the idea. It seems to me a cooling fan system would far out weigh any problem the mudflap would create if you are concerned with what Harley has told you as to why they don't recommend. If you are set on having the mudflap it might be something worthy of investigating. There are most likely other avenues I'm unaware that will reduce heat. It might be worth your time investigating. :Shrug:

I'm not one to hang all kinds of Doo-Dads on any of my machines, I ride them hard and put them away wet... So i won't use a mudflap/guard on any fender front or rear.. That said i don't see how it would hurt. For instant to get into my hunting club i have to ride a mile and half up a dirt/mud road, And when the road is wet, on my way home as soon as i hit the black top i would have to clean the mud out of the cooler, And even riding in snow/slush it would block the cooler.. So i guess a mud flap would stop that...
To me a little mud is not a problem.. But to most i guess it would be...:Shrug:

I had a front mud flap on my 2013 which had an oil cooler and now have the same one on my 2016 which does not have an oil cooler. I have not had a problem with the mud flap causing heat on either trike. The flap did a really good job of keeping dirt and junk out of the oil cooler fins. Now it keeps junk from hitting the water pump cover

Last edited:
Not sure about some of their "Reasons".....When I was first looking for a trike I asked why they do not use an independent rear suspension. The salesman told me that they had done a lot of research and found that the solid axle rear suspension had been greatly proven to be much more stable and safe. He was not able to provide that research or links to it.

Not sure about some of their "Reasons".....When I was first looking for a trike I asked why they do not use an independent rear suspension. The salesman told me that they had done a lot of research and found that the solid axle rear suspension had been greatly proven to be much more stable and safe. He was not able to provide that research or links to it.

Its a Salesman's job to tell the customer any thing that comes into their head... Whether you or the salesman really believes it....Harley works in mysterious ways, And are very successful working that way.... :Shrug:

LOL 2014 with water pump. :D Seriously guys ... with all the options for wind deflectors for those that complain about buffeting and air flow making them uncomfortable while riding a trike with a full fairing.

Bob :Dorag:

2014-10-09 15.11.46_resized.jpg

What he should have said was...."because it's a lot cheaper than an IRS".
Thankfully they stayed with the solid axle. I prefer it. ThumbUp
The less complicated, the better.

I don't know why, but I don't think I've ever seen a Harley with a mud flap on the front wheel in my entire life. Very few put them on the rear wheels of a trike.
Back in the day, I saw lots of UJM's with mud flaps - because they were standard.

Sales talk!!! Usually BS! If it were to have IS they would tout that as well!:gah:

Roger

LOL 2014 with water pump. :D Seriously guys ... with all the options for wind deflectors for those that complain about buffeting and air flow making them uncomfortable while riding a trike with a full fairing.
Bob :Dorag:

View attachment 43156[/QUOTE

:Agree: 100%, I have one on my 2013 and would not due without it, have not noticed any change in Engine or Oil temp, and I have a high compression motor that produces more heat than OEM. Without mud flap on a ride to Sturgis a few years ago, I washed my bike at the motel and found my oil cooler fins were mostly clogged with mud which made to cooler almost non-functional and have had a mud flap on the front fender every since returning home!! Would not do without it!! :pepper:

Roger

Well I called 2 harley dealers about this, one said no problem, said you could clear coat the cover if you wanted to, then you would have dings in the clear coat cover, just as well leave it like it is, I know I wouldn't buy a chrome cover for it for sure, then the chrome would be beat up IMHO, the other said do as harley recommends, no mud flap, sure can't get a decision one way or the other, looks like it depends on what you want to do I guess.

If I'm over thinking this, say so, I rely on this web site for information with all the experience here.

All for now Trampas

Well I called 2 harley dealers about this, one said no problem, said you could clear coat the cover if you wanted to, then you would have dings in the clear coat cover, just as well leave it like it is, I know I wouldn't buy a chrome cover for it for sure, then the chrome would be beat up IMHO, the other said do as harley recommends, no mud flap, sure can't get a decision one way or the other, looks like it depends on what you want to do I guess.
If I'm over thinking this, say so, I rely on this web site for information with all the experience here.

All for now Trampas

Trampas, in my opinon, YES you are over thinking this!! Decide which is more important - clogged fins or less air for cooler and then make your own decision. I have seen a multitude of front fender mud flaps and have never heard anyone say anything negative about the installation. Like I said previously, I have not experienced ANY increase in temp, either engine temp or oil temp!!

Good luck with whatever you decide!!

Roger

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MrArcade
Back