Using a Parking Brake

I been following ways here and reading up on what's the best to keep your Goldwing trike
from rolling away while parked.

Here's some ways I learned so far:

Using Velcro on the right brake level
Purchasing some wheel chokes
And leaving the bike in 1st. gear.

Is there other ways, and what do you use??
I didn't opt for the braking brake offered by Roadsmith.
I just don't want to see my '12 Goldwing rolling through town chasing after a Harley trike........LOL........:AGGHH:

I been following ways here and reading up on what's the best to keep your Goldwing trike
from rolling away while parked.

Here's some ways I learned so far:

Using Velcro on the right brake level
Purchasing some wheel chokes
And leaving the bike in 1st. gear.

Is there other ways, and what do you use??
I didn't opt for the braking brake offered by Roadsmith.
I just don't want to see my '12 Goldwing rolling through town chasing after a Harley trike........LOL........:AGGHH:

Maybe Apple's to Oranges here.. With my Tri-Glide I never use the park brake, I leave it in 1st. gear.. No chance of it rolling in first. ThumbUp

I purchased the parking brake on my Roadsmith since I live in the Arkansas twisties. Here are a few reasons:

1. Gl1800 is low compression engine. On a steep hill it is possible for the engines to turnover. Harley's, Victory's, and other big v-twins are high compression and their engine will hold.

2. Clamping the right front brake lever: A) You're betting your trike that the pressure holds. B) Letting it sit under constant pressure will expand your brake lines - not good.

3. Wheel chocks - pain in the butt to set when you're on a steep hill and they take up storage space when traveling.

I purchased the parking brake on my Roadsmith since I live in the Arkansas twisties. Here are a few reasons:

1. Gl1800 is low compression engine. On a steep hill it is possible for the engines to turnover. Harley's, Victory's, and other big v-twins are high compression and their engine will hold.

2. Clamping the right front brake lever: A) You're betting your trike that the pressure holds. B) Letting it sit under constant pressure will expand your brake lines - not good.

3. Wheel chocks - pain in the butt to set when you're on a steep hill and they take up storage space when traveling.

WOW mhgoldwing thanks for your interesting reply, especially #1 and #2.
As far as #3 on the wheel chocks, this might work if someone else is riding along.

Couple of comments here.

One - Why do we need an entire Harbor Freight ad embedded in a thread? Most times folks just mention the product, where it's sold, and sometimes a product number. I know, it's not a big deal, just seems odd.

Two - I've been riding trikes for years, have never had a problem parking so the trike is in danger of rolling away, even in Tennessee and North Carolina.

Most places have curbs that you can back up to. If you stop on a hill on a country road somewhere, you can turn the wheel to the fork lock position. Worst thing that will happen is the trike rolls in circles for a while.

(Of course, some will tell you that I've been going in circles most of my life.) :Shrug:

Couple of comments here.

One - Why do we need an entire Harbor Freight ad embedded in a thread? Most times folks just mention the product, where it's sold, and sometimes a product number. I know, it's not a big deal, just seems odd.

Two - I've been riding trikes for years, have never had a problem parking so the trike is in danger of rolling away, even in Tennessee and North Carolina.

Most places have curbs that you can back up to. If you stop on a hill on a country road somewhere, you can turn the wheel to the fork lock position. Worst thing that will happen is the trike rolls in circles for a while.

(Of course, some will tell you that I've been going in circles most of my life.) :Shrug:

guess I am just lazy. I'd rather pull the handle than search for a curb, lock the steering, tie up my brake handle, etc.

I'm a thrify kind of guy. I simply took a 4X4 cut it at a 45 degree angle drilled two holes in the side of each. One hole smaller than the other and deep enough to let the knot slide into it out of the way. Put a piece of rope thru the holes and tied a know at the end of each and there is a small set of wheel chocks at a cheap price. I made about 8 sets for friends of mine out of one 8 ft 4X4 and was out less than 15 bucks on the whole lot.

Well I use my parking brake, that's what it's for right :Shrug:. I leave it in first gear, because I'm down shifting anyway pulling in to a spot, when parked i shut the motor off, leave in first gear, and then set the brake. When I leave the first thing I do is release the brake. ThumbUp

I'm a thrify kind of guy. I simply took a 4X4 cut it at a 45 degree angle drilled two holes in the side of each. One hole smaller than the other and deep enough to let the knot slide into it out of the way. Put a piece of rope thru the holes and tied a know at the end of each and there is a small set of wheel chocks at a cheap price. I made about 8 sets for friends of mine out of one 8 ft 4X4 and was out less than 15 bucks on the whole lot.

Sounds ok, but do you still use 1st. before existing off the bike to put them in place, and how do you retrieve them once sitting on the bike and leaving?

When I leave the first thing I do is release the brake. ThumbUp

That was the second thing I would sometimes do...:gah:So I just leave it in first..Without a light telling when the brake is on, I forget to release it... But then some times I can't remember if I put my underwear on... :Shrug:

Sounds ok, but do you still use 1st. before existing off the bike to put them in place, and how do you retrieve them once sitting on the bike and leaving?

Yes I put it in first gear then put the chocks in. Leave it in gear and just pull the chocks before I mount up.

I use those rubber wrist bands you usually get on group rides
Slip it on the front brake lever.

When I start the Wing I slip it off the lever and leave it on the grip.

Thanks I got to try that, sure is cheaper then adding the parking brake as a accessory, then forgetting to release the hand brake on take off...............:AGGHH:

I dont know what Roadsmith's brake is like,but when my Lehman parking brake is engaged the right passenger board is partially folded up because the lever is underneath it. As for leaving the bike in 1st heres a situation that happened to us. We were being part of a group picture being taken after a parade. Everyone on their own trikes some 1 up others 2 up. Trikes motor oil is up to temp ,motor off ,trike in 1st gear. After lining up my trike with both of us on it starts to slowly roll. Had to keep my foot on the brake to stay in formation. With me and the missus on board we load out at 350 lbs total. I asked the installer and he said this happens occassionally and if it happened once it will happen again. Their was no motor issues just right circumstances like grade of hill,oil temp and weight on bike.

So just FWIW.

I dont know what Roadsmith's brake is like,but when my Lehman parking brake is engaged the right passenger board is partially folded up because the lever is underneath it. As for leaving the bike in 1st heres a situation that happened to us. We were being part of a group picture being taken after a parade. Everyone on their own trikes some 1 up others 2 up. Trikes motor oil is up to temp ,motor off ,trike in 1st gear. After lining up my trike with both of us on it starts to slowly roll. Had to keep my foot on the brake to stay in formation. With me and the missus on board we load out at 350 lbs total. I asked the installer and he said this happens occassionally and if it happened once it will happen again. Their was no motor issues just right circumstances like grade of hill,oil temp and weight on bike.

So just FWIW.

Roadsmith's parking brake can be tightened up or loosened up with two open end wrenches. You just unsnap the covering around the handle to expose the adjusters... if I don't keep it adjusted it too will be to high and hit the passenger foot rest.... adjusted the lever is lower and the brake holds. Just FYI

The only time I use my park break is for maintenance. When I'm riding I will just leave it in first. I have a Velcro strap on the front brake as well but haven't had the opportunity to use that. I haven't had a problem yet and I'm sure when someone has a problem it will be on the forum so we can all chime in.

You offer a few don'ts or reasons not to do something but you don't offer any solutions.
1. A stock 2014 GL1800 has a 9.8 to 1 CR and a stock 80 inch HD has 8.5 to 1. Although you won't see that many stock HDs out there but you still have to compare stock to stock.
2. Why wouldn't your brake pressure hold, it holds when you stop doesn't it. And if it doesn't stop your GL you better get it fixed. You would have to apply a GREAT deal of pressure on your front brake to expand the brake lines.
3. Wheel chocks yeah they would be a pain. You got that one right.

Me I just carry an 80 pound anchor and chain and throw it out when I want to park.:laugh:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back