Traveling with a laptop

Yeah, that Verizon Mifi is terrific. Add to this a solar charger bag mounted on the trunk rack...charges as you ride and the sun is for free too.

Voltaic Switch Solar Bag

It doesn't charge my little $250 EeePC (I haven't tried it at least...maybe it will) notebook but it charges everything else...that includes iPhones,Blackberrys, Mifi, Garmin Nuvi, cell phones etc.

BTW Most MacDonalds and Burger Kings have free wifi now too.

Packing all this in my trike is no problem. It's like life support to me. Guess I'm a real geek huh? :)

Yeah, that Verizon Mifi is terrific. Add to this a solar charger bag mounted on the trunk rack...charges as you ride and the sun is for free too.

Voltaic Switch Solar Bag

It doesn't charge my little $250 EeePC (I haven't tried it at least...maybe it will) notebook but it charges everything else...that includes iPhones,Blackberrys, Mifi, Garmin Nuvi, cell phones etc.

BTW Most MacDonalds and Burger Kings have free wifi now too.

Packing all this in my trike is no problem. It's like life support to me. Guess I'm a real geek huh? :)

Hey, thank goodness for geekiness!!! Wow, I can charge my electronic gear with solar power AS I ride? What will they think of next???

I use a "hotspot" as well. It's a mifi on the ATT network, the great thing is 5 people can share, so the 3 of us in my family plus the wifi printer can all hook up wireless in the camper.

Down side is the data cap plan, 5 gig $60/month work pays for it so no big cost to me, but no Netflix or movie down loads or you cap it quick.

It is great for e-mail and reading the forum on the road.

Thanks, Lunchbox and MacMike - I wasn't sure about the MiFi because of the "iffy" reviews on Verizon's website. At least now I "know" a couple of people using and liking it, so I'll feel a lot better about getting it for myself. :wtg: (Yeah, I'm a geek chick - what can I say? LOL)

Cheri, I have the Verizon mifi also, and it works really well! I've used it all over the country, and even while traveling across country by train. The only place it didn't work was through the Rocky Mountains. Apparently no towers up there! LOL!

Thanks, Lunchbox and MacMike - I wasn't sure about the MiFi because of the "iffy" reviews on Verizon's website. At least now I "know" a couple of people using and liking it, so I'll feel a lot better about getting it for myself. :wtg: (Yeah, I'm a geek chick - what can I say? LOL)

Another option with Verizon is... if you ahve a Droid powered phone... you can enable that same hotspot capability on the phone. 5 devices can share the phone's internet connection. Up side it... one less piece of hardware to lug! Downside is...

an additional charge to eable this service.

It's really all just a atter of what your personal preferences are.:putergreet:

Verizion Discount

I see a couple of folks talking about cost of this and that. I just paid Verizion $62.00 for cell service (500 anytime minutes and usual nights and weekends) as well as MiFi 2200 with 3 GB. I supplement my MiFi minutes by using free WiFi where available - like the coffee shop of a morning or two a waeek and the marina down the street.

But the real kicker is that I get a discount for being Retired Navy. I think it's 15%. Verizion offers the same discount to fire service, LEO and a few others. If you haven't availed yourself of this discount then check with your local Verizion Office to see if they have something that might qualify you for a discount.

Thanks, Calman! Yep--I'm already with Verizon and getting the 15% discount--I'm retired Navy, too. But they also offer the same discount for state employees and some county and municipal employees too.

I've gotta check out this MiFi thing! My contract rolls over in April.

One issue with mifi is 4 hours only battery. It will run if plugged in of course.

The mifi is very popular with SC Land Surveyors as we use them to talk to our GPS systems for real time answers. You can add a wilson trucker brand external Cell antenna and get signal on a MIfi so far out in the sticks the sun don't shine.:cool:

Another option with Verizon is... if you ahve a Droid powered phone... you can enable that same hotspot capability on the phone. 5 devices can share the phone's internet connection. Up side it... one less piece of hardware to lug! Downside is... an additional charge to eable this service.

It's really all just a atter of what your personal preferences are.:putergreet:

The main problem with this option is that once you enable the hotspot on the phone, then anything on the phone is ALSO using the hotspot, not the data plan! Droid phones have a lot of stuff running in the background, so that could eat up the 5Gb quickly if you aren't careful!.

Great input, y'all! Lots of things to think about, but while we're at it, here's another question:
What in the world do people use their iPads FOR? Not just traveling, but at home too.

I borrowed one from a friend last weekend, and yeah, it was fun and had a great display. But it seems like not much more than a big ol' iPhone without the phone function. AND too big to stash in a pocket like you could an iPhone. It's the size of a mini laptop (netbook) but doesn't have the capabilities of a laptop.

So what are some good reasons for owning an iPad? Is there something I'm not seeing?

Great input, y'all! Lots of things to think about, but while we're at it, here's another question:
What in the world do people use their iPads FOR? Not just traveling, but at home too.

I borrowed one from a friend last weekend, and yeah, it was fun and had a great display. But it seems like not much more than a big ol' iPhone without the phone function. AND too big to stash in a pocket like you could an iPhone. It's the size of a mini laptop (netbook) but doesn't have the capabilities of a laptop.

So what are some good reasons for owning an iPad? Is there something I'm not seeing?
One thing I can think of is you can download the complete Honda service manual ready for use anywhere. I happen to use a laptop when I travel but the one you mention could also be used as well.

Also, I like the Mifi from Verizon so much, that's all I use. Since I'm on retired travel almost all the time...there's no point in having an additional bill. So the Verizon Mifi is all I need. At home it's always on the charger hanging on the wall. On travel it fits in my shirt pocket.
I use it for my now defunct iPhone (that's not a phone anymore) to access the internet along with all my other internet toys. Sure it's not as fast as the land line version, but it sure makes internet traveling a breeze. I download you tube stuff all the time. But I try to refrain from joke videos I'm sent. Also, just don't download full movies and that 5 gig limit will never be reached. Go to a MacDonalds for the movie! I'm on line much of the time and never worry anymore about hitting the limit. Never enters my mind. That worried me going in...but it wasn't a problem at all.

One of my main uses for it would be to listen to my radio station at work - I can't get a signal in my cube, but with internet access I could use the iHeart radio app on my ipod (does NOT work well on my Droid - I've tried :(). Do you think I'd hit/come close to the 5Gig limit doing that?

I live out in the country where only 6 months ago they finally got Century Link HS internet But I was already locked into the old Verizion 175 program with 5 GB. I found I was only using about half of the service (was not doing the NETFLIX thing) so when I upgraded to MiFi 2200 I downgraded to the 3 GB service.

I also use the Verizion Wireless system for travel and camping so it's a good fit for me.

You never have to fear about running over your limit as Verizion sends you an automatic message when you've used half of your program's alloted GBs as well as when you've used three-fourths of your GBs.

I like my iPad for travel,because its more compact than a laptop,and uses the same charge cord as our iPhones(yes I am a complete Apple convert) I loaded several games on it for the better half and a few for myself,but when we are mobile I dont do a whole lot of "computing".

I have discovered that I am completely dependent on a touch-screen phone/device now. My company sent me a new phone the other day and it was a boring old flip-phone that pissed me off from the word go!! It's in the desk drawer where it will remain

I like my iPad for travel,because its more compact than a laptop,and uses the same charge cord as our iPhones(yes I am a complete Apple convert) I loaded several games on it for the better half and a few for myself,but when we are mobile I dont do a whole lot of "computing".

I have discovered that I am completely dependent on a touch-screen phone/device now. My company sent me a new phone the other day and it was a boring old flip-phone that pissed me off from the word go!! It's in the desk drawer where it will remain
I'm a total Apple convert, too, since last summer when I got my Mac. Funny--my very first computer ever was an Apple IIgs, way back in 1987 or 88, and now, a couple of decades+ later, I'm back to Apple. Loving my MacBook Pro. Still not entirely sold on the iPad, but it may be that I'm slowly being won over by folks like you and a few colleagues at work who swear by their iPads. We'll see....the new iPad2 looks interesting!

BTW, a friend of mine has been spoiled by the touch screen too. She catches herself trying to do things on her laptop by touching the screen!:D

Thanks for your input!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back