Towing Weight of Trailers

Sep 4, 2017
Lexington Park, MD
Hi all,

I have a 2015 HD Road Glide 103 with a Road Smith conversion and currently pull a camper trailer that is about 500 lbs. without trailer brakes. I'm thinking about pulling a trailer that weighs about 1000 lbs. and has brakes. It's a Papa Bear trailer from Rustic Trail Campers.

Anyone out there pulling this kind of weight behind their Harley's?

Tks...

You are getting close to the towed vehicle being near the weight of the towing vehicle. Not a good thing. Here some questions you need to consider.

What's the tongue weight of the new camper?

Do you think you would still have enough power to pull your old one it if you doubled the weight?

What's the weight limit on your conversion's trailer hitch? Total and tongue weight.

I doubt even with electric brakes you could stop it at 1000# plus what you put in it.

Out side of the tail wagging the dog feeling every time you try to stop, Starting off from a stop you will probably be frying your clutch.....Any reason you have to haul that much weight ....:Shrug:...

Out side of the tail wagging the dog feeling every time you try to stop, Starting off from a stop you will probably be frying your clutch.....Any reason you have to haul that much weight ....:Shrug:...

Or you don't use a car or truck to pull it?

Not being a smart a$$ ... I pulled a time out, like 400# with all my gear with a 2007 ultra ... 103 and cam upgrade ... I was heading west out of Rawlings, Wy. Had a pretty good headwind, which is normal for Rawlings, guessing 30-40 mph wind. I was very uncomfortable that I was on I80, 75 mph speed limit and I was struggling to go 55-60 mph. Between the wind whipping the trailer and bike around, and the drag of the headwind it was very dicey. If you figure a conversion to that, you add what 400# of bike weight?

I seriously think it could be bad, even with brakes on the trailer.

Thanks all.

I get it. It looks like I'm getting too greedy. I would like to tow a "stand-up" tear drop style trailer.

Maybe it's time to get a toy hauler for the trike instead!

Thanks all.

I get it. It looks like I'm getting too greedy. I would like to tow a "stand-up" tear drop style trailer.

Maybe it's time to get a toy hauler for the trike instead!

Had one of those and it was the best of both worlds ... Comfort at night, safety for the trike when you're on the road. More fuel, but there are down sides to everything.

Thanks,

I noticed the new Gold Wing conversion. Nice! I just may have to give my 44 year son my Harley Conversion and go with the new Gold Wing conversion, i.e., more power.

V/David

Thanks,

I noticed the new Gold Wing conversion. Nice! I just may have to give my 44 year son my Harley Conversion and go with the new Gold Wing conversion, i.e., more power.

V/David

I honestly don't think that you'll be even a bit disappointed going Goldwing, in fact I have a feeling that you will be saying "too yourself" Why didn't I go this route many years ago??

Ronnie

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back