Tough to start

I have a similar problem with my '96 GL1500 but it seems to be chronic. I live in a warmer sub-tropical climate, even though it gets chilly in winter we don't have snow or ice so we can still ride.

Sadly a lot of really wet weather and flooding has impeded my riding lately so the trike has been sitting idle for a long time. The last couple of times we've had a fine day, I've gone out to have a ride I've ended up walking back inside after having been defeated by a non-firing motor...or a dodgey ignition switch :mad:

I think I have 2 issues...first being the same continual cranking but no fire. If I have enough battery charge and patience I can sit there cranking it over for ages until it finally fires.

The 2nd issue is every now and then I will turn the ignition key to "on" but I get nothing! No dash lights and no power getting through to anything. That would HAVE to be the ignition switch itself wouldn't it? (I know that's a dumb question but this is the first wing I've owned and was wondering if it's a common issue).

I started it on Wednesday after a lot of cranking and thought I'd be right for a ride this weekend, but I copped a double whammy when I went out to the garage this morning. The trike wouldn't fire first up and I flattened the battery trying, so set it on the charger. I finally got it started on the 2nd attempt so I ran it for a while and got her out of the shed and went to get my riding gear, so switched it off. When I was ready to go, the ignition wouldn't deliver any power to the trike/dash at all...didn't go for my ride, pushed it back in the shed and gave up!

Anyone else have a hard time starting the 1500 Goldwing after a long winter nap. Been on a tender all winter. Battery 1 year old. Craks but no fire. Does it every year. Once started, good all year. Any secret way to do it?

John the 1500 has a vacum controled fuel shut off valve. Look in front the fuel cap area . you will see fuel line in and out and vacum line. Remove the vacum line and apply vacum to the valve . this will allow fuel to flow I have seen this done sveral times and it started imediately Exphoneman

Not a real big deal. I hook a jumper battery. I hit the starter for 5 sec. Wait Do it again wait and full choke and if the battery is still full charge it fires up. Good idea sucking on the vac line.

Mine, like Cams, used to start just like yours after sitting all winter. After the initial start, I would not have another problem all riding season. Had the carbs rebuilt 2 times and that didn't help. You just have to live with it. They are a good bike.

Went out and used a jumper battery. Started after 3 attempts. The battery was almost empty. The trickle charger boiled it dry. Filled it back up, and imam charging it. Will invest in a new battery in the spring. ( 4 weeks) going out now to see if it will start on its own. ;)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back