Total Engine rebuild

Jun 24, 2011
South Bend,IN,USA
Sort of found out what happened to my engine today. The rods were too tight, no side clearance. It had metal shavings on the crank In the brand new SE oil pump,In all my bearings, in the oil pan.It messed up the cams also. So Lou figures a SE crank & rods,new SE 10/5-1 forged pistons, new cams,he is going to sell me a new set of jugs & bore them .005 over with .005 over Pistons. He hasn't checked the new lifters yet. New oil pan cause he said the new pans you can't clean the filters anymore on them. I told him I have the 259e cams now but if he finds something better do it. I just said I want it done right this time. You can't trust the dealerships anymore. Anyone that doesn't know the right way to install rings the right way probably couldn't even mop the floor right.

I'll probably have to sell my new truck to pay for this!! The crank and rods alone are $1200. I told him my wife said just put a new stock motor in it & he said no you don't want to do that cause these motors coming out of the factory aren't worth a crap. He said this isn't the first time he's seen the rods with no side clearance. Where's the quality control anymore. The money you put out for these things you shouldn't have all these problems. I'll be lucky if this doesn't cost more than $5000. If I'd known I was going to have this much trouble I would've kept my Ultra. Never had a problem and didn't use oil. He still has to figure it all up & let me know how much. Jim

Sort of found out what happened to my engine today. The rods were too tight, no side clearance. It had metal shavings on the crank In the brand new SE oil pump,In all my bearings, in the oil pan.It messed up the cams also. So Lou figures a SE crank & rods,new SE 10/5-1 forged pistons, new cams,he is going to sell me a new set of jugs & bore them .005 over with .005 over Pistons. He hasn't checked the new lifters yet. New oil pan cause he said the new pans you can't clean the filters anymore on them. I told him I have the 259e cams now but if he finds something better do it. I just said I want it done right this time. You can't trust the dealerships anymore. Anyone that doesn't know the right way to install rings the right way probably couldn't even mop the floor right. I'll probably have to sell my new truck to pay for this!! The crank and rods alone are $1200. I told him my wife said just put a new stock motor in it & he said no you don't want to do that cause these motors coming out of the factory aren't worth a crap. He said this isn't the first time he's seen the rods with no side clearance. Where's the quality control anymore. The money you put out for these things you shouldn't have all these problems. I'll be lucky if this doesn't cost more than $5000. If I'd known I was going to have this much trouble I would've kept my Ultra. Never had a problem and didn't use oil. He still has to figure it all up & let me know how much. Jim

IMO I'd install an S&S crank over the SE crank if I was buying a new one. The bores on your present jugs must have been really bad it they couldn't have over bored those to make your engine a 107.

Eddie, my engine is a 2011 with I believe 17,000 mi. Mike, we talked about putting in the S&S crank but it is more expensive plus you have to do more machine work to the case to put in the Timken bearing adapter. The bearing is smaller than stock. He didn't mention about going to a 107. I think he's trying to keep the cost down for me. Maybe i'll call him today & ask him about going to 107. If you do that wouldn't I have to get it re-dynode? That would be another high cost I can't afford. He did say the S&S would be better but the SE was a sturdy set-up. I'm not sure if there is a better cam than the 259E though. The only thing I notice when taking off,it takes a little to get it going.Wouldn't you have to re-tune it if you went to 107? Jim

Eddie, my engine is a 2011 with I believe 17,000 mi. Mike, we talked about putting in the S&S crank but it is more expensive plus you have to do more machine work to the case to put in the Timken bearing adapter. The bearing is smaller than stock. He didn't mention about going to a 107. I think he's trying to keep the cost down for me. Maybe i'll call him today & ask him about going to 107. If you do that wouldn't I have to get it re-dynode? That would be another high cost I can't afford. He did say the S&S would be better but the SE was a sturdy set-up. I'm not sure if there is a better cam than the 259E though. The only thing I notice when taking off,it takes a little to get it going.Wouldn't you have to re-tune it if you went to 107? Jim

You can buy S&S wheels setup for the factory roller style bearing, you don't have to do the Timken. The Harley Screamin eagle crank is not worlds better than stock, only slightly. The S&S is a much better unit with a better track record, sure it does cost a little more. A little shopping and you can find the S&S wheels for a tick under $1,200.

If your looking to not dyno it you have to skip the 107 and stick with the 259 cams, you have to also stick with the stock bore pistons, or the same bore size you had when you did the dyno. It'll be close but not dead on, if they put a sick engine on the dyno and tuned it and you builder does his job and puts together a better engine it will be more efficient and possibly need some tweaking of the tune.

I feel bad for the spot your in, I'll bet you'll hit the $5,000 mark with parts and labor. I hope I'm wrong.

jcolson,
Was your engine stock?....never mind, I just looked at some of your old post and the things you had done to that motor WOW, if it was me I would put a stock motor in it, and "LEAVE IT" alone, your typ. shade tree mech. is no match for Harleys engineers, and sadly this is the results, so sorry for your maj. problems, and I wish you well, good luck.

Sucks to be me Mike!! Iboos the guy I have working on the bike now is no shade tree. He has some top drag bikes and his dad was a champion hill climber. His dad used to own the Harley dealership where I got mine but they new how to work on bikes and do a good job. The people that own it now have know idea whats going on. They also own the dealership in Pueblo, Co. They are the ones that Fu---ked up my bike right off the bat. They installed the rings upside down 3 times. Louie Gerencer has his hill climb bike in the new Harley museum in Millwalkee. You are probably right Mike , the motor probably wasn't getting the best compression when dyno tuned. I can't afford to get it done again right now. Gotta figure out how to pay for it first. Just hope it's going to be right this time. Thanks for the input.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back