Tire pressure drop

Oct 14, 2011
austin tx usa
My 08 CSC front tire was leaking air, almost flat in 5 days. I had a new tire installed, and overnight, it dropped about a pound of air. Is that normal? It went from 40 psi to 39.

Gerald

When temperatures drop over night you could see a pressure drop. Keep and eye on it. If it comes back up after riding on it, then it's temperature related.

Other things would be did they replace the valve stem? Maybe check the valve is snug in the stem? It's kind of rare, but, aluminum wheels can get pinholes or porosity depending on their environment.

My 08 CSC front tire was leaking air, almost flat in 5 days. I had a new tire installed, and overnight, it dropped about a pound of air. Is that normal? It went from 40 psi to 39.

Gerald

It is possible with a new tire.....Check it again in a day and see if it still loses some air...

Also one pound is not so serious...You could lose a pound just by checking it a few times most gages are not that accurate to the pound...

Not uncommon to lose 1lbs of pressure keeping in mind most air gauges will lose PSI when checking pressures. Mix up some dish soap and spray the tire and wheel and check for leaks. Check it again in a day or 2. Good Luck:clapping:

Reactions: MDO

Gerald

I've seen tire gauges vary a pound from check to check, both ways, back to back, especially if it drops the pound as you just let some air molecules out of the tire and into the gauge to be checked for squeeze. That give them other molecules more room inside the tire, like more elbow room. Those that came out to be checked are then set free to join the others that we breathe.

There are other factors, like the temperature of the air used at inflation vs temp of the same air when checked. If pumped in while in a warm tire shop from a running compressor vs checking it after it's parked and rested at home 6 hours later at 7:00pm on a cool evening.

Gerald

When temperatures drop over night you could see a pressure drop. Keep and eye on it. If it comes back up after riding on it, then it's temperature related.

Other things would be did they replace the valve stem? Maybe check the valve is snug in the stem? It's kind of rare, but, aluminum wheels can get pinholes or porosity depending on their environment.

It sure sounds like the valve stem to me unless you have corrosion around the wheel bead.

It sure sounds like the valve stem to me unless you have corrosion around the wheel bead.

Some soapy water on and around the stem and bead will help to identify a leak, take the valve cap off the stem and soak the core you may find some bubbles, I like to push on the valve stem ( side to side ) when checking for leaks also

Some soapy water on and around the stem and bead will help to identify a leak, take the valve cap off the stem and soak the core you may find some bubbles, I like to push on the valve stem ( side to side ) when checking for leaks also

I would replace the Rubber Valve Stem. See attached photo.

90 Deg. Valve Stem.jpg

I only use the ones with the nut on the top of the rim as in the above photo.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back