Thinking about a trike - never ridden a motorcycle

Hi Greg,

Welcome to trike talk from Ct and part time NY during the summer....I rode many years ago and after 23 years of not riding could never get comfortable handling a larger bike. I picked up a used trike a few years ago and couldn't be happier and the wife loves to ride on it.

If you haven't found anything before the end of August, take a ride up to Windham, NY the weekend before Labor Day. We have a trike rally that weekend and you would get a chance to see and talk to other trike owners. I did that myself before I bought my trike when the rally was held in my town here in Ct. I spend summer weekends at a RV park in Athens, NY and the roads up there are great for riding. The rally runs from Thursday through Sunday and your welcome to join us, even in a car. If you check out the info for the northeast rally all the info is there. There is a dealer/builder in Albany too that is not far if you wanted to check out the kits. If you do get a trike before then, by all means your welcome to stay and ride with us as well

Thanks, everyone!

Dougv, that Windham trike rally sounds like a really good opportunity to check out a lot of trikes. I probably won't have purchased a trike before then. I'll need to do a lot of test-riding. I was planning to go from dealer to dealer, and this sounds like a good way to check out trikes and kits without flying around the country!

Greg that's a good start and you get to meet the gang on here. If you wanted to stay a few days, the hotel still has rooms available, let them know you are with the trike group. The host hotel is Hotel Vienna in Windham, NY so not too far from the city, Rt 87 north and then Rt 23.

I think the shop in Albany is called Two Brothers and they carry a few different brands. I bought mine at a place here in Ct called Kent Road Motorsports. I found Kent Road was less expensive than the Albany shop by a few thousand dollars based on similar builds and kits and mine had a lot less mileage. I think both of those shops maybe the closest to Windham, there is one over in Pittsfield, Mass area that builds the kits.

Of course there are a lot of Harley dealers and Can-Am dealers around too, just depends on what you are looking for. Myself I didn't want to put a lot of money into one until I knew for sure I liked it, I paid under $15,000 with a 1997 Goldwing and a 2011 kit and with under 32,000 miles. Maybe someday I'll go for a newer one but my trike is bullet proof.

If you decide on coming up, send me a PM and let me know so we are around.

One thing I know from lots of riding is this - I'd like a posture that supports my lumbar area, while also not making me lean forward too much (my lower back won't like that). --Greg

Similar problem here. For this, you should take a look at trikes like Rewaco (look at my avatar) or Boom Trikes. Much more back-leaned position than tri-glide. The position on rewaco is much more like on recumbent bicycle.

Hello all,

I don't know why, but can't get the idea of a trike out of my head! I'm heading towards retirement, so I would be able to put a lot of time into it.

Never ridden a motorcycle, but for the last 10 years I've been riding some great recumbent (human-powered) trikes. So I'm very comfortable with the overall 3-wheel geometry, both "delta" and "tadpole" designs.

I'll probably go to a Harley dealer to see a Tri-glide soon.

Here's what I've ridden. Is there hope for me?

--Greg

View attachment 46181

View attachment 46180
https://www.facebook.com/groups/trikerlife/

TRIKER LIFE

Hello all,

I don't know why, but can't get the idea of a trike out of my head! I'm heading towards retirement, so I would be able to put a lot of time into it.

Never ridden a motorcycle, but for the last 10 years I've been riding some great recumbent (human-powered) trikes. So I'm very comfortable with the overall 3-wheel geometry, both "delta" and "tadpole" designs.

I'll probably go to a Harley dealer to see a Tri-glide soon.

Here's what I've ridden. Is there hope for me?

--Greg

View attachment 46181

View attachment 46180
https://www.facebook.com/groups/trikerlife/

Hey Greg,

Just FYI, our rally this year is in Acra, NY, just a few miles from Windham. Its at the Acra Resort Aug 23 through the 26th . If you havent picked up a trike yet, stop by or if you did, please join us. All the info is on this site.

Hi Greg :wave4: Welcome :D

I started on a Spyder RT. These are so easy to ride and comfortable. Also, my Harley dealer holds Trike safety classes every so often. I rode one of their Tri Glides. It’s a great, confidence building class that focuses on safety, learning the mechanics of riding and some maneuvering exercises. At the end of class (if you pass) you get a card that you take to the DMV for your endorsement.

It was a lot of fun and a great way to start out. Good luck.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back