Thinkin about a 124/126 CI motor for a winter project for my trike

Yes sir!!

That was one wild ass 117, for those interested this is the dyno sheet. Dave Stoddart tuned helped with the R&D and tuned it within an inch of its life. I had Dave tune my 120, he knows hit stuff.

chopsae.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I've built a few street cars and bikes in the past with too-radical engines & drivetrains,also. Won't make that mistake again.
How do you think one of the new 120ST engines would work in a trike?

IMO, I'm not feeling the love for HD's workmanship like I used too, they're going to disposable for my taste. I'd DIY, have someone build it or look real hard at the S&S LC124.

How do you think one of the new 120ST engines would work in a trike?

I've had the 120ST in my trike for about 2,000+ miles now. Just love it! I plan on putting on more miles as weather permits so I can make sure while within the one year warranty that no problems crop up.
With this engine and the 30 tooth sprocket change (from 32), it really is a pleasure to ride. Too bad the next 10 days have no sun - and it's dark when I get home from work!

Elvira 103.jpgI have been talking with Frank with Dragos, Scott at Hillside, Gary Williams at Williams Carbs and Steve with GMR about the differences between the 117CI and the 124CI motors.

The majority consensus is that in similar builds, the 124 will build a little more TQ down low, but will not have the low end throttle response that the 117 will have because of the shorter stroke of the 117. Low end TQ does not always equally equate to low end throttle response

Gary Williams compared them to the difference between the 427 BB Chevy and the 454 BB Chevy. The 427 has much better throttle response than the 454 and revs so much quicker.

Having owned both a 69 427 Vette and a 70 454 Chevelle earlier in life, I understood this analogy. I realize comparing these cars is apples and oranges, but I was never beat by a stock 454 Vette in my stock 427 Vette and I raced more than a few.

My trike weighs over 1250#'s dry add another 350#'s with me and my lady, that's 1600#'s before we load all our stuff.

I think low end throttle response will be more important than a few #'s of TQ on the bottom end and most likely losing considerable HP on the top end.

I am going with a 117 CI.

Thank you to everybody who offered advice, I appreciate your help.

Ive got a 93 flthc, (evo) and a 05 dyna, (twin cam) would redo my 07 streetglide but its a new motor in it, which would be the best candidate for a 117.

Im thinking the two big flywheels like truett and osborne use, (more torque than one thick one skinny) then the bigger cyls, or maybe just a stock bore ? May not be enough performance increase with the big bore to offset the cost of big bore kit.

i have an extra s&s carb for the evo, and a hotter cam and cnc port of the heads along with custom valves and springs. adjustable pushrods, mmm, maybe roller tip rockers, but that might be no really necessary.

Nightrider has good tips on these builds, but in the end they don't ride trikes. What say you ?
:cool:

Ive got a 93 flthc, (evo) and a 05 dyna, (twin cam) would redo my 07 streetglide but its a new motor in it, which would be the best candidate for a 117.

Im thinking the two big flywheels like truett and osborne use, (more torque than one thick one skinny) then the bigger cyls, or maybe just a stock bore ? May not be enough performance increase with the big bore to offset the cost of big bore kit.

i have an extra s&s carb for the evo, and a hotter cam and cnc port of the heads along with custom valves and springs. adjustable pushrods, mmm, maybe roller tip rockers, but that might be no really necessary.

Nightrider has good tips on these builds, but in the end they don't ride trikes. What say you ?

I don't think Truett and Osbourne work on twin cam flywheels

The best would be the build with parts that work with each other to achieve the goal you're looking for. It's all in the package, heads need to work with cams, you need a large enough carb or throttle body & injectors to feed air and fuel, the compression needs set to work with the cams. A big one some folks never consider is the exhaust, many of shitty exhaust designs have killed the potential of an engine.

Hey Downtown,

I don't know enough about this stuff to mix and match without getting into trouble. I am going to stay with all S&S matched components. It will cost a little more, but I will be comfortable with my choices.

Hey Downtown,

I don't know enough about this stuff to mix and match without getting into trouble. I am going to stay with all S&S matched components. It will cost a little more, but I will be comfortable with my choices.

You have to use care, even with S&S. If you are relying on someone to help make the choices, they have to understand what your expectations are. I know we have one member here who went with an S&S big boar and a set of their cams, the cams did not perform as expected. The builder chose a cam which wasn't suitable for both a trike and the way the person road, they ended up with a bottom end which was softer than they wanted.

Do overs suck, make sure you cross your T's and dot your I's before you do the build.

You have to use care, even with S&S. If you are relying on someone to help make the choices, they have to understand what your expectations are. I know we have one member here who went with an S&S big boar and a set of their cams, the cams did not perform as expected. The builder chose a cam which wasn't suitable for both a trike and the way the person road, they ended up with a bottom end which was softer than they wanted.

Do overs suck, make sure you cross your T's and dot your I's before you do the build.

I have selected Steve at GMR Performance, to do the design, build and tune.

Steve is one of the best designer/tuners around this area.

Do-overs suck?.... They sure do! The 120R as it sits stock is a do-over when installed in a Trike. Wrong cam. Ask me how I know, $1600.00 and with another tune about 2 weeks after the 120R install.

If you are sure what you want, make sure they (the builder) understands what you want.

When I first asked about putting a 120R in a Trike, the answers were.... yeah, book says it will fit, the dyno sheet shows, and that should be fun. The truth is on the street it is much different.

I have selected Steve at GMR Performance, to do the design, build and tune.

Steve is one of the best designer/tuners around this area.

I may have to get up with him, Keller is not too far. My take is from night rider, good site, for what its worth, putting a big bore in my bikes either of them, might be a waste of money, seems, heads, cams exhaust are the ticket with a compression ratio that around 9 or 9.5.

piss poor fuel for the foreseeable future for all of us, so Ive always liked lower compression. Aint gonna happen too soon, so truett and Osbourne, could get a email from me on the subject.

The thought of two heavy flywheels churning and burning seem to light my fire. Throwing me outta the hole. Jus the way i like it.

Might be a good way to go, stroker or no stroker. Just the mods, about 95hp on a evo,.theres a 89inch evo with the goodies on Craigslist for $2700 ? i think.:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Downtown,

Good to hear from ya, i hate Arlington traffic, lol, like im suppose to love it, the new freeway gets me dyslexic. And the trail-dust steak house is gone gone gone, damn the luck. Ride safe. ;);););););););););););););););)

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back