The Traditional Motorcycle Wave

I really enjoy reading the different comments about "The Wave".:wave4:

If I see another biker in time, 2 or 3 wheels of any size, I will give a wave and not that cutsie 2 finger pointed at the ground thing. Last year I got a little tired of that pointing at the ground thing and, if I have time & am able to, I will give them back a wave like the smilie above and do it as long as possible.

The first time I saw a lot of the point at the ground thing I was up at Sturgis with some friends and we were miles outside Sturgis just riding some back roads. The next time we stopped I had to ask, were they all trying to warn us about something on the road or just too tired or bored to raise their hand above the bars?!?! Of course I must admit that it was not the first time I saw the below the bars wave, but that was from ape hangerers who's bars were already higher than they could raise their arms!:D

I say the that all of us Trikers should start or continue to use ONLY the above the bars wave!ThumbUp

Also, like others have said, I would never let someone to tell me that my Trike & I had to ride in the back or park away from 2 wheel bikes, I ride or park where I want or I leave!

I agree with others, I appreciate all who ride and I wave at everybody. I seldom get a wave back from Harley riders and a lot of times end up grumbling about it, but at least most other riders are nice enough to wave. My Patriot Guard Riders require trikes to ride in the rear, saying the extra tire kicks up more rocks so the two wheelers with expensive paint jobs get to ride in front. It grinds me because I have mudflaps to control stones, but some are very pushy about it.

Here's a thought. People are all different, some are friendly, some are not. They also tend to acknowledge their peer group before others.

I'll drop an arm to wave at any street bike I see and usually get a wave in return. Crotch rocket and younger riders don't seem to respond very often, so I don't wave to them very often. Either way, I don't mind.

My experience with Harley riders has been pretty positive, maybe because my trike is a nice looking touring bike. I recently parked in a group of Harleys and didn't get one evil eye look. In fact, a couple of rough looking guys with tattoos and doo-rags came over to talk to me about my trike and road trips I've been on. They were really pretty friendly, but maybe that's because I'm a senior and not very intimidating to look at.

Anyway, if it makes you feel good, go for it. You never know, you may be making the first friendly gesture that other rider has seen all day.

Even if they don't wave back, you could be the one person that lifts their spirits.

I always wave at other bikes. I find that a lot more harley owners wave than crotch rocket riders.Up here trikes are just starting to get popular...more of us old farts getting into riding again I guess. At our annual "Ride for Dad" prostate cancer fund raising rally last year we had just over 800 bikes register.Out of that there were only 6 trikes. At our local bike night event trikes are actually draw a crowd. Wouldn't go if I had to park seperatly.:D

"Also, like others have said, I would never let someone to tell me that my Trike & I had to ride in the back or park away from 2 wheel bikes, I ride or park where I want or I leave!"

Well said, 92fxsts. I ride what I want, when I want, where I want. I don't judge another man's ride, and I don't judge a man by what he rides. If I find myself amongst a group that doesn't extend that same respect and courtesy, then I ride alone.

Bustedwing, Tell them to go to h*ll or better yet thell them to keep that museum piece in the garage if they're so affaid of getting a nick in their paint.
What a bunch of pricks in my opinion. They do have my respect for what they do though. I am also one of them but the ones I ride with are not that anal. :gah:

StormNorman, you are correct about the measurement when on the side stand, but I was referring to when the bikes are being riden in a group.
Now parking is another matter and you are right in that regard - they do take up as much room as a TG. ThumbUp

Like I always tell people. I started life on a 3 wheeler and I'm going to leave life on a 3 wheeler. pepper

Ya, I pretty much wave to everybody as well. My experience (and my wife has also noticed and commented), is that pretty much everybody that I wave to, waves back... except for the Harley crowd. Seriously, I've noticed that the "crotch rocket" crowd often waves back (maybe only lifting the fingers), but Harley riders very seldom ever do. I've just always concluded that a lot of Harley riders are just "full of themselves", and (not wanting to start a flame war here), always thought that was why people bought Harleys anyway.:xzqxz:. Don't get me wrong, I have met some very nice Harley owners just never understood the whole attitude that some seem to have. As far as parking over across the parking lot, I gotta ask- "Who tells you that you have to park there?"... followed by, "If it's a public parking spot, I'll park wherever the "L" I want to or go somewhere else. Maybe now is a good time to start a get together with some of your friends and the good people on this forum, who share your interests,... mostly riding.

:cool:

Now you all did it and jinxed me. Out and about last couple days. At least 200 miles in 2 states. NOBODY waved back at me. I will wave at all that I see and usually don't give a rats patootie if they wave back.

Gary, I would tell those Patriot Riders to take a hike, but I enjoy what we do so if I have to suffer a little degradation because these idiots think their paint jobs are going to be safe from the dreaded three wheeler then I will do it. Thanx for the vote of confidence tho, I appreciate it.

I wave at everyone. I get more waves from the crotch rockets & Honda riders than Harley riders. I get tired of waving at ass holes that think there sh--t don't stink. When I got my first Harley in 87, it was a big deal to own one. Now I gess It don't mean squat. Harley people always waved. Most of the trikes I see on the highway don't even wave. Whats wrong with these people.They all must have their head up their asses. Sorry, just gotta vent once in awhile.We all share the same road I thought.

An interesting topic. I wave at all motorcycles and bicycles. Most waive back. If they don't it doesn't matter; perhaps they're deep in prayer or something equally as important and just missed seeing me.

I love meeting and chatting with all fellow bikers that I encounter along the road. But I'm not looking to make new friends - I have plenty of riding buddies back home.

I wave at everyone. I get more waves from the crotch rockets & Honda riders than Harley riders. I get tired of waving at ass holes that think there sh--t don't stink. When I got my first Harley in 87, it was a big deal to own one. Now I gess It don't mean squat. Harley people always waved. Most of the trikes I see on the highway don't even wave. Whats wrong with these people.They all must have their head up their asses. Sorry, just gotta vent once in awhile.We all share the same road I thought.

Very well put JC!!! We have exactly they same feelings on this subject...but if I would have said it...... It would have been deleted.:DThumbUp

I think the wave is like saying "good morning or good night". I am pretty much the only one in my office that will say that when I enter or leave the office. About 70% don't. They will return my greetings though. :Shrug:

I think courtesy and common sense is pretty much dead in the US. Along with a sense of humor......compared to 50 years ago.
Just my observation.

Bustedwing, I don't care how much I like a group, if they tell me I have to ride in the back, I'll tell them I'll ride alone and meet them at the destination.
Do they frown on sportsters? Or do they tell the riders with Rhineharts or other loud pipes to ride in the back because their exhaust it too loud? I doubt it. Do they shun you because you have dull ordinary stock paint jobs?
Sounds like they don't do very many long trips if they're affraid of getting a nick in their pretty paint jobs. :gah:

I say ride where you want and if somebody else doesn't like riding behind you they can pick another spot to ride. I guess they have "rules" so if you want to ride with them you have to do what you're told. That's your choice.
Good luck to you. ThumbUp

Telling people where to ride is becoming a bit of a problem in our H.O.G. chapter. They've determined that all trikes must ride in back of the group...behind the sweep bike!! I've been a Road Captain in the chapter for about 6 years now, and figured since I've switched over to a trike, that I'd always ride sweep and not lead. Not a problem for me. But when they said that trikes couldn't ride sweep and had to ride in back of the sweep, now that p****d me and the other RC's that ride a trike off big time. I've resigned being a road captain because of this. Their "concerns" are not putting a trike in the middle of a group because the trikes can stop faster and are slower taking off. They don't want a trike to be the sweep because "they can't pull off the road safely if someone breaks down or has to stop for some reason". Really? I'm guessing on a trike I can pull off in many places a two wheeler wouldn't dream of stopping. I'm not giving up though and hope to "re-educate" them.

Forgot to say I wave to everyone.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back