The loneliest highway in America US 50 from FAllon, NV to Ely, NV

MikeyTX

Dead animals deserve balloons...
Gold Member
May 9, 2016
Big Bend Country, TX
The loneliest highway in America US 50 from FAllon, NV to Ely, NV

Is it worth doing or is it simply tourism hype ? I'm going to run US 395 from south to north in CA and end up in Carson City,NV. Original route is to then head for Columbus, MT so i can do Beartooth Highway and Chief Josef into Cody, WY.

Man, you sure do travel a lot!

Kevin and Mary of DK Customs traveled that route on their trip this summer. The notation on the GPS actually said "The Loneliest Highway" while they were riding on it!!

It's a lot of nothing ... gas can be an issue sometimes ... make sure you fill up and I'd carry some water

Man, you sure do travel a lot!

Kevin and Mary of DK Customs traveled that route on their trip this summer. The notation on the GPS actually said "The Loneliest Highway" while they were riding on it!!
Consitter, I'm semi retired. Nearing 71, it is now time for me to start knocking off my bucket list while I can still ride long distance. FuzzyWuzHe, I somewhat suspected as much. I would imagine no different than those sections of old US 66 I rode across several weeks ago in CA. The Mojave desert can be just as deadly if one is not prepared. I believe I may head for the Pacific northwest and ride south on US 101 from WA to CA.

loneliest road

Wifey and I rode that from Ely west a couple years ago, it was memorial day weekend, got snowed in in Ely. Got to watch the Indy 500 in the motel room...
Was 34 degrees when we left the next morning. Still had the ambient air temp gauge in the dash. I remember watching it climb-all too slowly-
Things warmed up later. Yes, plan your gas. We found some cool pins in one little shop, they say you survived the loneliest road.
It's worth doing. Not the most glamorous scenery, but a few nice photo ops along the way.

I liked to ride 395 when I lived in Cali. Sierras to the west and desert to the east. 50 is so much better than 80. Trust me on that. I think 80 is what the term boring came from.:D

Is it worth doing or is it simply tourism hype ? I'm going to run US 395 from south to north in CA and end up in Carson City,NV. Original route is to then head for Columbus, MT so i can do Beartooth Highway and Chief Josef into Cody, WY.

Have ridden it maybe 4 times. I like it much better than the interstate. One time we were lucky enough to see some wild mustangs. Dont have a trike yet so gas was not a prob for 2 wheel. Just finished my last 2 wheel ride Sun. 5141 miles. Trike is being prepped as we speak, mat have it tomorrow. 2016 Cosmic Blue Pearl

Have ridden it maybe 4 times. I like it much better than the interstate. One time we were lucky enough to see some wild mustangs. Dont have a trike yet so gas was not a prob for 2 wheel. Just finished my last 2 wheel ride Sun. 5141 miles. Trike is being prepped as we speak, may have it tomorrow. 2016 Cosmic Blue Pearl

Welcome to the trike family,Bill. Glad to have you aboard.

I know that we enjoyed our '06 trip eastwards all across Nevada on US-50 .... but due to "Wife Unit" health issues in '05, we done it in the car. We limit our bike / trike trips pretty much to a day or so radius from home since then.

On a bike or trike, I can easily imagine many regrets when the sun get's high, there are some long miles out there ... but in the car it was great fun. If done by trike, watch the skies as shelter is scarce.

I could just imagine that Challenger cutting across the desert floor with a rooster tail .... or roaring out of Austin. :xzqxz:

Do US 50 you wont regret it even if the scenery isn't to your liking. I loved it. I don't know what kind of trike you are riding but as well as carrying some water carry a quart of fuel. When you get to Utah follow US 6 to I 15. Not real pretty but the best way thru the Wasatch Front. If you want some great mountain riding pick I 84 East to Mountain Green then North on UT 39. At Woodruff go North on Ut 16 to Sage Creek then UT 30 to the intersection with US 89.Get a raspberry shake in Garden City, then North on US 89 to Alpine Junction. Take the left on US 26 to Swan Valley ID then North on ID 31 to ID 33 to US 20 then thru Yellowstone to US 14 16 20 to Cody. Be sure to see the Museum in Cody and have lunch at the Irma Grill in the Irma Hotel. Great atmosphere and food.Out of Cody it's Wy 120 to the junction with Chief Joseph Hwy.

Beautiful Hwy, then turn right onto the Beartooth. It is opened with snow still on the sides. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

If you don't want to ride thru Yellowstone you can stay on US 6 to the junction with US 191 just before Helper Ut and follow it north to Farson Wy. Home of the worlds largest Ice Cream Cone. It is huge. From Farson take Wy 28 to Lander from there take Wy 789 to Thermopolis. Yes there are hot springs.From there Wy 120 to Cody.

These are all good roads and gas is pretty easy to find as is lodging and good food. Most of all they are all beautiful and avoid most freways. Enjoy your trip.

Have ridden it maybe 4 times. I like it much better than the interstate. One time we were lucky enough to see some wild mustangs. Dont have a trike yet so gas was not a prob for 2 wheel. Just finished my last 2 wheel ride Sun. 5141 miles. Trike is being prepped as we speak, mat have it tomorrow. 2016 Cosmic Blue Pearl

Welcome to the Gang and the world of three.

Not Tried...Did

You've tried this ? :D

I had ridden out of Yosemite up to a point just east of Carson City. I stopped for gas there before continuing on 50. I asked the girl at the station if there were gas and motels on down the road...she said there were (1st mistake).

It was 3:30 pm and I started east, figuring I could get another 100-150 miles in before pulling in for the night (2nd mistake). The "motel" in the next town was a mobile home trailer with three doors and no vacancy. Another hour or so was the next town. Their motel was the same. I stopped for gas and asked the guy for a phone book (there was zero cell signal out there in 2004). I called ahead to the next town's only listed motel...disconnected. So I left with a full tank, not knowing where I was going to end up.

It started raining (third mistake).

After another hour and a half or so of straight flat roads and some mountain climbs and curves, I came to the next town (maybe Ely). The first two motels were the trailers with no vacancy. On into town was a new Best Western. I pulled up under the canopy and went in requesting a no smoking single. The lady said her only room left was a smoking double..."I'll take it!" There was a bar about a block away and it was the only other thing I saw open. Their kitchen was still open and I had one of the best (it may have been the worst, but that late I didn't care) ribeye ever.

And that's my Loneliest Road story. I saw those pins and would have picked one up if I had known the adventure I was going to have...

Maybe you should go back. There is a Ramada and La Quinta in Ely. Along with half a dozen other motels now. :D

I've only ridden on it once back in 2007, but it was pretty amazing. We were headed home from the Posse Ride that ended in Portland and picked up 50 in Sacramento to finish off our goal of riding 50 coast to coast. To get to the start of the Posse Ride, we had to ride to Wilmington, Delaware so we took 50 east from Pueblo to Ocean City, MD, so we did do the entire route even though it was in two parts. What I remember most about riding it through Nevada on 50 was thinking how hot it was going to be the first week of August. But to our surprise, it was cool enough to wear a jean jacket the whole way across that day. I'm sure that's not the case most days, but we just happened to luck out. The scenery is pretty barren and remote, but that has it's own beauty, at least in my eyes.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back