SUPER BRACE on a Gold Wing 1800 Trike Report Thread

I have an 08 Gold wing Trike with Roadsmith. I would like to know if anyone installed a super brace on theirs,and would like to know if its worth the expense. I've felt the wobble at times but The Trike Shop said the brace was only good for 2 wheelers.

I've used the SUPER BRACE on Lotsa' various Motorcycles, and now, on my Gold Wing 1800 Trike....it has made each of them quicker turning, and added stability.....I'm a firm believer in em'.....ThumbUp

I see that Traxxion who was known to recommend NOT installing a fork brace on any trike has now conceded that they are indeed a very worthwhile addition.

"I", for one, have none of the "sticking" issues He mentions. It is imperative that Both Fork Tubes be sticking through the Upper Tree EQUALLY, and that the SUPER BRACE be clamped EQUAL distance from the Top of Both Lower Fork Legs.....I still stand behind my statements, that My Trike turns quicker (...and with less handlebar travel), handles better in twisties, and feels more planted since installing the SUPER BRACE........Count Mine as definetly one of the "One-Out-Of-Ten" being described......ThumbUp

.....and, yes, really strong definitive statements regarding the SUPER BRACE from another Company competing for Market Share....:innocent:

We welcome any questions and appreciate feedback. We prefer to spend our time creating, manufacturing and supplying the 2 and 3 wheel community with high quality, affordable, American made products that we stand behind than getting into personal attacks with fellow motorcyclists over differences of opinions for their personal gain.

We do appreciate all the support and battles that some of you have engaged in on other forums as we can not put out all the fires ourselves. In appreciation for your support, we contribute to forums like TrikeTalk.com and along with giveaways on this site, rallies, local events, etc.

We have always recommended SuperBraces for trikes and still do. Trike manufacturers, local trike installers, dealers and national clubs like the American Voyager Association have been buying SuperBraces for years. We do offer a money back guarantee and have been for years. Of all the SuperBraces that we have sold over the years, returns are less than 1%.

If properly installed, we guarantee no stiction. Besides stiction, we always recommend replacing the front tire when installing a SuperBrace. An older tire with bad cupping will affect the ride and might be more noticeable when a newly installed SuperBrace. The SuperBrace product line ranges from the Wings to Harleys to Metrics.

Ride Safe and thank you for all the support over the years,

SuperBrace – the Ultimate
Superbrace, fork brace, motorcycle fork brace, super brace, honda goldwing, fork truss
www.facebook.co/superbracefanpage

&

American Motorcycle Accessories
American motorcycle accessories, goldwing, motorcycle luggage rack, goldwing exhaust
American Motorcycle Accessories | Facebook

Sorry to report....I can't get it to stick either (humped & pumped till I thought I'd have a heart attack). AND, I have never enjoyed the steering & ride AS MUCH AS I DO NOW, with the SuperBrace on my '03 GL1800 (4.5* raked) / CSC. Don't plan on taking it off neither.

To have or not to have a fork brace

TO HAVE OR NOT TO HAVE A FORK BRACE

The whole idea behind a fork brace is to stabilize the forks so that they operate together instead of separately. This is even more important on a heavy motorcycle like the GL1800. The laziness of slow speed steering on a GL1800 is diminished with a fork brace and by keeping the forks together as a unit, theoretically should extend fork life. Even the manufacturers of TRAXXION components say that if you don’t notice the difference in handling, you are dead and someone needs to tell you so. On trikes it is even more important to stabilize the front forks because the forks now experience forces that they were not engineered to combat. The push or scrub that is present in all 3 wheeled vehicles put extra strain on the internal and external fork parts. The result is like a suspension bridge. Outer tubes may bend slightly and cause rapid fork bushing wear and ultimately fork seal leaks.

When changing the triple tree, more leverage is placed on the fork assembly and all of these problems increase. When lengthening the fork tube increases that even more. The front suspension is already inadequate for a touring motorcycle because dampening is only done on one side and the other fork is along for the ride. Converting a GL1800 into a trike also adds weight to the motorcycle and the front end specifically.

There are arguments about who makes the best fork brace and whether or not a fork brace is needed to start with. I tend to agree with TRAXXION in that you must be dead if you think it doesn’t make a difference.

I use a SUPERBRACE myself and have over 150 GL1800 trikes on the road with no fork or stem bearing problems. Now maybe most of these riders are operating in the extreme safe zone where lesser skills are involved but I still have a number of intense riders with or without raked trees that show no signs of fork wear much less failure. I install them on every GL1800 trike conversion and have never had a problem.

TRAXXION and Kuryakyn make a multi-piece fork brace that is touted as better than a SUPERBRACE. I guess if they said it was worse than a SUPERBRACE, their shelves would be stacked with unsold product, after all who would by something that was worse than what they already had.

Since the function of the fork brace is to keep the forks exactly parallel while in operation. The triple tree does this at the top and the axle does this at the bottom to some extent. The middle is neglected until a fork brace is installed and makes the forks one unit.

How the fork brace is attached can make a difference if braces pull forks together or push the forks apart. I could see where the multi-piece design could have an advantage to be adjusted IF the triple trees are not machined properly or fork tubes were not machined properly during manufacturing, but I have found this not to be an issue. The main issue in proper fitment and preventing "stiction" is to install and tighten the brace as instructed. When installed properly I have never had a problem with either stiction or an increased wearing of seals or bushings as alleged by the other fork brace manufacturer. Our company, M & J Motor Company has been a Lehman Dealer and building trikes since 1998. I personally do all conversions, so yes I do have years of hands on experience.

So I stand up for SUPERBRACE with its ease of installation and, up to this point, high standards of manufacturing.
Regardless, a fork brace is not the anti-Christ.:Trike1:

I appreciate the responses from Super Brace and the owners and dealers who have taken the time to respond. I invite anyone to add their comments. I have added a POLL in the "POLL DANCE" Forum. If you have a fork brace on your trike please respond to the poll by choosing the make of the brace you own. The poll will be followed up with questions for brace owners on the performance of their brace. Our goal in this is to compile real life, accurate data from the manufacturers and more importantly from you, the end users..."Myth Busters" style.

Thanks Skuuter,

I have been thinking and wondering if I need a brace. I also have an MotorTrike 1800 with 4.5% rake. Seems like it has more lean than my previous trike. So, you think it has less lean than without the brace??

P. Stan

Hi, I have a Motor Trike IRS with 2010 Goldwing. I saw Skuuter's comment about having problems with handlebar wobble. I don't have a brace and I don't have the wobble. I am thinking that I don't need the brace.

If You have installed a SUPER BRACE and feel You have found some "Negative Issue(s)" with it, this is the Thread to discuss it in also. More Input, More Information.....ThumbUp

My One and Only "Negative" that I personally have encountered is a "slightly harsher" Fork Rebound (going back to full extension) after hitting a really severe bump or pot hole.....really insignificant when compared to all of the Gains with the SUPER BRACE........ThumbUp

I Had the brace installed at the shop $350.00 for the brace and the traxxion springs. I saw on the web sites clip that the owner didn't recommend it for trikes. My bike shop however did recommend this option. So I called the company and talked to their rep he said they have reconsidered their thoughts on the issue. This was 3 weeks ago. I like the feel on the bike now. I didn't like the price of $350 (not installed) but took the bike shops advice at the time. When I got home did alittle web surfing and found that diect-line sells the same one for $199. so shop arround friends.

If You have installed a SUPER BRACE and feel You have found some "Negative Issue(s)" with it, this is the Thread to discuss it in also. More Input, More Information.....ThumbUp

My One and Only "Negative" that I personally have encountered is a "slightly harsher" Fork Rebound (going back to full extension) after hitting a really severe bump or pot hole.....really insignificant when compared to all of the Gains with the SUPER BRACE........ThumbUp

The Progressive Springs smoothed this Transition....No Longer an Issue:

*** 4.5 Degree Raked Trees and Spacers
*** SUPER BRACE
*** Progressive Fork Springs
*** Kuryakyn Adjustable Handlebar Risers

Great Transformation on my Frontend.....ThumbUp :cool: :Biker:

I just install a Super Brace on our 08 GW Trike this weekend (very easy to install) and as Skutter says it makes a hugh difference. Much more stable on the front in corners, the trike seemed to track straighter and not hunt so much on straight away. I do definitely recommend the Super Brace for better handling.
I had the brace for about 3 weeks, but it's been so hot here haven't had a great desire to ride in the heat.

Ride safe jt - just sayin!

Installed a Superbrace on my 1500 Roadsmith that had a 3.5 rake, progressive springs a month ago and all I can say is it does make a big difference, and I had a big improvement.

Thanks Skuuter for the initial Post and Thanks to AMA/Super brace for the Trike Talk discount.

Also count me in as getting a 1 out of 10 as I have no rebound issues.

Installed a Superbrace on my 1500 Roadsmith that had a 3.5 rake, progressive springs a month ago and all I can say is it does make a big difference, and I had a big improvement.

Thanks Skuuter for the initial Post and Thanks to AMA/Super brace for the Trike Talk discount.

Also count me in as getting a 1 out of 10 as I have no rebound issues.

You're Welcome and Thanks Lunchbox and jtilmon, and Yes, I really feel if You're really "in-tune" with Your Trike, and Suspension, You will feel the difference....Glad You got a gain.....ThumbUp

Anyone else went to the "DARK SIDE" lately and added a SUPERBRACE or Other Fork Brace to Their Trike for the first time...???...if so, post up Your opinions.....ThumbUp

For whatever it's worth, I had a Super Brace installed a few years ago at Americade on my (at the time) 2 wheel 1500 (now 3 wheels). It was installed personally by the then owner (maybe still is) of the SB company so I "guess" it was installed properly. I must also have one of those 1 in 10 with no binding problems and the results, to me, were so impressive, we went back the next day and had one installed on my wife's 1200 trike. She also liked the results saying the bike felt more "solid" to her. Just my 2 cents...

Anyone else went to the "DARK SIDE" lately and added a SUPERBRACE or Other Fork Brace to Their Trike for the first time...???...if so, post up Your opinions.....ThumbUp

Not triked yet but I added one to my 2012, it seems to be a little quicker in and out of corners. I also think there is better low speed stability since I added it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back