Strange rear brake problem is Solved on 2018 GW CSC DCT

mushy brake pedal

I had a mushy brake pedal on my 07 street glide trike. I got a new distribution block build (up behind the battery ) and I used the fitting Harley has on the front calliper(noticed it on my buddies 09)that has a banjo fitting and a bleeder fitting as one piece. I also replaced the cartridge in the pedal. Blead the system down and now I have a solid pedal. Its still winter up here so I haven't ridden it yet but I know the the pedal is way different than before. This Harley doesn't have ABS brakes by the way.

Yes, this fix does work for the issue described by CSC, and that is the grease issue.

One thing to note is that the ABS brake system on these new '18 & newer Honda Goldwings, is that this brake system is designed to utilize BOTH the front and rear brake working in unison at the same time, so do not expect to get optimal braking when using just the rear brakes alone, because you will not get sufficient braking when using just the rear brakes. You MUST use both the front and rear brakes simultaneously.

I can attest that the brakes work fantastic particularly if you need to really brake hard-as Papa Zook mentions you MUST use BOTH FRONT & REAR BRAKES. The 2018 GW DCT Tour prior to the CSC conversion would have no issues on stopping when you clamped down on the front brake w/out using the rear brake pedal. But with the added weight of the trike kit if Ya really need to make a sudden Stop use BOTH front & rear brakes.

Brake

I can attest that the brakes work fantastic particularly if you need to really brake hard-as Papa Zook mentions you MUST use BOTH FRONT & REAR BRAKES. The 2018 GW DCT Tour prior to the CSC conversion would have no issues on stopping when you clamped down on the front brake w/out using the rear brake pedal. But with the added weight of the trike kit if Ya really need to make a sudden Stop use BOTH front & rear brakes.

As a rule I would say I use my front brake pressure more than my back brakes but I do use them both to stop even when the is not an emergency.

Aren't the brakes linked so that the bike/trike tries to determine what is best needed to stop.

What is a linked braking system on a motorcycle? A system that engages both brakes when either lever is applied. A technique in which the rider uses both brakes at once.

Aren't the brakes linked so that the bike/trike tries to determine what is best needed to stop.

What is a linked braking system on a motorcycle? A system that engages both brakes when either lever is applied. A technique in which the rider uses both brakes at once.

You have asked a very loaded question and one that has lore than one correct answer depending on the Bike/ Trike manufacturer

Linked brakes are just what the name implies. The brakes on both axles are linked hydraulically be it diagonally or in most cases the front calipers are linked to the rear brakes when multiple piston calipers on the front axle have ( typically) center pistons applying pressure to front brakes via rear braking until you grab a handful of the front brake lever also to fully activate the front brakes

The braking has nothing to do with the bike/ trike knowing what is best EXCEPT when you throw anti lock and traction control into the mix

Now you have a computer and specific hydraulic valving involved along with wheel speed sensors very similar to how ABS works on your family car

I hope this answers your questions

Keep in mind all manufacturers use their own ( made for them) set ups

You have asked a very loaded question and one that has lore than one correct answer depending on the Bike/ Trike manufacturer

Linked brakes are just what the name implies. The brakes on both axles are linked hydraulically be it diagonally or in most cases the front calipers are linked to the rear brakes when multiple piston calipers on the front axle have ( typically) center pistons applying pressure to front brakes via rear braking until you grab a handful of the front brake lever also to fully activate the front brakes

The braking has nothing to do with the bike/ trike knowing what is best EXCEPT when you throw anti lock and traction control into the mix

Now you have a computer and specific hydraulic valving involved along with wheel speed sensors very similar to how ABS works on your family car

I hope this answers your questions

Keep in mind all manufacturers use their own ( made for them) set ups

All of this helps - thanks.

My bike has ABS and, also traction control. When I talked to my trike builder, he said that all of those functions will continue to exist when the unit is triked.

The Harley Tri-Glide, for example has ABS and traction control - so, I have to imagine that when I trike my Harley, since it is already there, those functions will be working just fine. I do know that when I was ordering the trike kit, it sated that if my bike currently have ABS, I have to get the trike ABS package ($300 cost)

brakes

Aren't the brakes linked so that the bike/trike tries to determine what is best needed to stop

I don't have linked brake option on my Trike. Rider brain link only! lol

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back