Still my favorite ...

I found this advertisement awhile ago, my Dad found it in 1954 I guess because he used this same make - model soldering gun in his business in Del Rio, Texas when I was but a brat, he had "Queen City Radio & TV" and he did maintenance work for USBP & TDPS & local PD & Sheriff's office, installs, trouble shooting, tower maintenance, repeaters, etc. This little Weller Junior was like an appendage, even after we moved to Va in '59 and he was hired at GE … he worked a lot with this gun.

I still have the gun and his work bench which has a transformer under it which powers a bench gun. Dad died in '69, I have other soldering guns, but this thing still rocks. Every time I use it, it's like Dad is there. I've used it on home projects, kits, slot car chassis as a kid, stereos in cars, the bikes, etc. I can hear him telling me to be careful or to put it down when I was in my early years like even just 4-5-6-7 years old, being an inquisitive brat with his dad on a service call. "Son, that's not a toy" … I liked seeing the lights come on, it was like "a ray-gun" in my mind then.

Bakelight housing, probably used up 50+ tips? No telling the yards of Kester Flux Core Solder it's melted. I think it's been dropped before, but it works. No Velcro used, but yeah … zip ties & duck tape … and some 3M Super 33 too. Like an old friend it is.

Attachments

• weller-jr-ad-1954.jpg
    weller-jr-ad-1954.jpg
    176.4 KB · Views: 172
I still have my Father's as well in the tin carrying tool box. Still works just fine I don't use it often though. Stay Safe Stay Home an Stay Healthy Fred:GoodPost:

Unfortunately their quality has really tanked. I remembered how good my father's Weller soldering gun and iron were, so I went straight for that brand about 10 years ago when I needed new tools. Within a 6 month period I bought 2 different Weller soldering irons and a Well soldering gun. They all died after 2 or 3 uses.

Unfortunately their quality has really tanked. I remembered how good my father's Weller soldering gun and iron were, so I went straight for that brand about 10 years ago when I needed new tools. Within a 6 month period I bought 2 different Weller soldering irons and a Well soldering gun. They all died after 2 or 3 uses.

I still have his...New ones made in China no doubt.....But one consolation they did cost less...:D..

Yeah, I've got two newer ones, one is a junior, one is a dual wattage one, 100 / 160 watts maybe? They both have plastic bodies, not bakelite … they work but the one newer Junior is low heat and the other one doesn't seem much hotter than this 1954 version, even on high. I sometimes think I'll repair the body with JBWeld, but then I ask myself "why"? The old frayed duck tape and 3m S-33 tape with zip tie backup seems to do the job … besides, the bakelite might crumble when I snip the zip ties & pull the tape off? .

$7.95 ?

I think that between us, "Dad & I", we got his money's worth out of it long ago.

Attachments

• Weller Jr was Dads (1).JPG
    Weller Jr was Dads (1).JPG
    174.5 KB · Views: 107
Yeah, I've got two newer ones, one is a junior, one is a dual wattage one, 100 / 160 watts maybe? They both have plastic bodies, not bakelite … they work but the one newer Junior is low heat and the other one doesn't seem much hotter than this 1954 version, even on high. I sometimes think I'll repair the body with JBWeld, but then I ask myself "why"? The old frayed duck tape and 3m S-33 tape with zip tie backup seems to do the job … besides, the bakelite might crumble when I snip the zip ties & pull the tape off? .

$7.95 ?

I think that between us, "Dad & I", we got his money's worth out of it long ago.

Mine is the dual wattage, not the Junior. Another band member left it at my house when he quit the band so I guess it was free back in the mid Sixties. I keep solder in my tool box on an old typewriter ribbon bobbin. I refill it about once a year. This will be a lifetime supply for me. The bakelite on mine is kinda rough, too.

Weller1.JPG Weller02.JPG solder.JPG

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back