Stereo upgrade for Elvira

Apr 12, 2015
Arlington, TX 76017
I am doing a stereo upgrade on Elvira and doing a install and review on HD forums, it was suggested to me by another Cross-poster (that's got a bad sound to it:D) that I do that as well on Trike Talk

Their are some really exciting advancements in the equipment that can be used on HD motorcycles these days, both in speakers and amps.

I got to wondering what the Hi-End could be with a 4 speaker system that would use Factory speaker locations, 2 in the Faring and 2 in either the lowers or tourpak pods and using an amp that will fit inside the faring of either a batwing or a shark.

I am going a little bit out of the usual plug and play box for my Faring speakers, but still using a brand (HAT) that most of you are familiar with. Going with Arc moto 602's for the rear speakers

I have the Motor Guard delete kit on this trike and cannot put on lowers. I also have the HD chopped tour pak and cannot utilize regular tour pak speaker pods. I will be mounting my rear speakers a set of 6.5” speaker pods with a custom made mounting bracket. The location of the back speakers will probably mean that the back speaker sound will wash away above 70 MPH…but I should sound good in the parking lot…LOL

Speakers: Faring, HAT L6SE 7.1” Mid Bass, L1V2 20MM Tweeters and U2x 2 way passive crossovers

Rear Pods, Arc: Moto 602 V2 6.5” Coaxial

Amplifier: Arc Moto 600.4 it's a 600W RMS total, 150 x 4CH RMS amp

Head Unit: Sony MEX-M70BT with the Hawg Wired handlebar control module and install kit

Wiring: Stinger 8000 series RCA’s, Arc 8ga amp hookup kit and 16ga speaker wire

Misc: Line the faring with FatMat’s Mega Mat Butyl sound dampener and fill the rear pods with Poly-fill

I will follow with pics and updates later today

Last edited:
New Sony Head unit mounted, the Hawg Wired Radio install kit and handlebar control interface sure makes it easy. Fit like a fine leather gloversz_20160709_133955.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Got the tweeters mounted in the grills.

rsz_20160710_155807.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Gauge guards removed. speaker adapters and speakers mounted in the faring

rsz_20160710_172010.jpg

Glad to see an audiophile adding your knowledge to the board! That's next on my to do list. Subscribed..ThumbUp

Hey Bazooka,

Thank you for the compliment, but I am more of an Audiophile in training.

Fortunately or unfortunately depending on how you look at it, HD Motorcycle audio is simpler than car audio. There are a lot of amplifiers for car audio but a very limited number of amps will fit in a faring. much less perform well in this type of environment. The number of speakers out there is mind boggling, but when you narrow it down to the requirements needed to live and perform well on a motorcycle (70-80 MPH wind, rain, playing at Hi- volume for long periods) , once again the proven sample size becomes much smaller.

I am hoping this new HAT setup for the faring will set (for me anyway) a new HI-end standard for faring setups...we will see in the next week or so.

I should also add that putting new stereo equipment on a HD is a lot easier than a car, no door panels to remove, no twisting around trying to do wiring under the dash, no trying to fish wires under carpet or R&R heavy car seats. At my age...that's important, real important. 95% of the work is on my Husky roll-around stool.

Last edited:
I got everything installed and fired it up and started tuning her. I ended up cutting a hole in my rear speaker pods to allow the speaker to expand some

This system is amazing. Without a doubt the best system that I have heard that is "one amp that mounts in the faring, four speakers in factory locations"

My objective with this build was to do the the best sounding stereo possible, but utilize only equipment that would fit in the faring and factory speaker locations and not lose my handlebar controls

This build has exceeded my expectations. Really tight crisp bass and crystal clear mids and highs and can get so loud you don't want to stand next to it.

I will finish putting it all back together this week and give a riding review

rsz_20160717_175909.jpgrsz_20160717_140432.jpg

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr Tool
Back