Starting in gear?

Service called and left message. Part (switchpack, Lt) due in Monday Said he will call when he gets it in his hands and set appointment for repair! I hope I’m number one on the wait list!

Update, bike dropped off for Lt switchpack replacement since it won’t start “in-gear”.

Recieved text, “Bike is ready, clutch AND brake must be used to start in gear”

Drove to dealer and was told “Harley added Safety feature to trike, we started it several times and it works the way HD says”

Bike pushed out, key ON, bike in gear, clutch AND brake pulled,.....NADA.....ZIP......NUTTIN HAPPENIN.......

Service Tech comes out, repeats “ clutch AND brake yada yada yada,

Put bike in-gear, pullclutch and brake .... NADA ....ZIP .....NUTTIN.

The saga continues.......

Update, bike dropped off for Lt switchpack replacement since it won’t start “in-gear”.

Recieved text, “Bike is ready, clutch AND brake must be used to start in gear”

Drove to dealer and was told “Harley added Safety feature to trike, we started it several times and it works the way HD says”

Bike pushed out, key ON, bike in gear, clutch AND brake pulled,.....NADA.....ZIP......NUTTIN HAPPENIN.......

Service Tech comes out, repeats “ clutch AND brake yada yada yada,

Put bike in-gear, pullclutch and brake .... NADA ....ZIP .....NUTTIN.

The saga continues.......

Can the dealer confirm with you there that this is a fix?

If not find another dealer JMO

Update the Update......

Dealer called, they replaced the Lt switchpack after putting bike on computer to verify problem

1. They tested bike befor Christmas as said bad switchpack. Was placed on order.

2. Switchpack arrived last week so appointment for made for today.

3. Dropped off bike yesterday in PM

4. Tech didn’t connect Computer this AM and bike started several times

5. When I went to pickup, it didn’t start so I came back to the house.

6. Thirty minutes later, “tech” connected computer and confirmed bad switchpack, Changed and bike was ready for pickup WITH APOLOGY FOR INCONVENIENCE.

Tomorrow I will ask the obvious question,,,,,,,

WHY DIDNT TECH CHECK THE SERVICE HISTORY AND INSTALL SWITCHPACK THIS MORNING AND SAVE ME TWO TRIPS TO THE DEALERSHIP.?.?

This is the closest dealer to me in Tampa. Area, but they will have to really step up their game to work on my trike again, even on warranty.

Update the Update......

Dealer called, they replaced the Lt switchpack after putting bike on computer to verify problem

1. They tested bike befor Christmas as said bad switchpack. Was placed on order.

6. Thirty minutes later, “tech” connected computer and confirmed bad switchpack, Changed and bike was ready for pickup WITH APOLOGY FOR INCONVENIENCE.

WHY DIDNT TECH CHECK THE SERVICE HISTORY AND INSTALL SWITCHPACK THIS MORNING AND SAVE ME TWO TRIPS TO THE DEALERSHIP.?.?

This is the closest dealer to me in Tampa. Area, but they will have to really step up their game to work on my trike again, even on warranty.

I dunno, but a guess

The dealer is charging back the MOCO on several warranty tickets?

If that is the case I would talk with the GM and see what they will do for wasting your time

Finally Success !!!

Bike reconnected to computer, switch good, Bike disconnected...NO Start in gear,

Reconnected to computer..... switch failed....

Switch replaced and VVVVAAARRRROOOOOOOOMMMMM.

No t shirt or cup of coffee for the inconvenience. Didn’t make a fuss, just won’t take bike back for service or warranty!

P.S. Service writer says he watched the tech do the work late yesterday evening just before closing and the switch ck’d good, then bad as stated by tech. I reminded them that the original problem was “intermittent” starting in gear.

Update the Update......

Mine started doing the same thing a couple months ago. It may start in gear for a week or so and then it won't for a couple days. I'm waiting until just before my warranty expired because I should be right at 20,000 miles, to take it in.

I bought my TG at Six Bends (Ft. Myers) but the few times I have needed something I drive up to Black Widow (Port Charlotte). I wouldn't let Six Bends check the air in my tires!

Mine started doing the same thing a couple months ago. It may start in gear for a week or so and then it won't for a couple days. I'm waiting until just before my warranty expired because I should be right at 20,000 miles, to take it in.

I bought my TG at Six Bends (Ft. Myers) but the few times I have needed something I drive up to Black Widow (Port Charlotte). I wouldn't let Six Bends check the air in my tires!

H-D used to talk to customers directly. Perhaps they still do, or via HOG. If you have a really bad dealer it might be worth a try.

H-D used to talk to customers directly. Perhaps they still do, or via HOG. If you have a really bad dealer it might be worth a try.

That is what I had to do to convince my dealer that a Tri-Glide should be able to start in gear. They insisted that it should never start while in gear even with the clutch in with a brake activated.

I called the HD corporate office and in their menu they have a customer service option. Got a lady on the line and explained the situation, she put me on hold for a minute to go talk to a Tech and when she came back she had confirmed that I was correct.

I asked her how was I going to relay this to the dealer, she told me to call my dealer and give them a reference number that she supplied and have them call corporate with it and they would straighten out the problem.

Found out later from both the Service and Sales managers that the entire dealership had meetings about how I was treated (as they did not believe what I had told them and I had to call corporate to convince them) and that Trikes should start in gear.

HD corporate customer service is there to help.

Bob

That is what I had to do to convince my dealer that a Tri-Glide should be able to start in gear. They insisted that it should never start while in gear even with the clutch in with a brake activated. Bob

I was told at the dealership that a Harley never starts in gear, never has, never will.

I opened my Freewheeler Owner's Manual and read that section to the service manager. He told me that HD doesn't want me to do that, so I assured him I would only in an extreme emergency. They fixed it.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back