Spring return on the parking brake is not working.

The spring on the piece that locks into the teeth on the underside of the parking brake seems to have come out of place. I can lock the brake in the lock position only by reaching down and pushing it into place. I am surprised that it is so small and light. I would have expected a more robust spring.

Possibly it was pushed out of place when the floorboard extensions were installed. I'll let the dealer take care of it I guess.

The spring on the piece that locks into the teeth on the underside of the parking brake seems to have come out of place. I can lock the brake in the lock position only by reaching down and pushing it into place. I am surprised that it is so small and light. I would have expected a more robust spring.

Possibly it was pushed out of place when the floorboard extensions were installed. I'll let the dealer take care of it I guess.

I hear you on this one! I seem to have to fiddle with mine - spring, adjust, lube.....at least twice or more a riding season. I have to say, I think it probably could have been engineered better....

Lately, I have just started avoided using it.....I just put in 1st gear when I park it.

And, I have to also confess, I am thinking of removing it.....all of it...

I also have been wondering if a mechanical reverse with an electrical lockout would/could be used....enguaged, would it be strong enough to keep the trike from rolling on a hill? If so, I could/would use that. Then, I could remove the parking brake and the electric reverse motor and get ride of the two worst aspects of the Freewheel in one swoop....

It would also increase the trikes ground clearance (I find the parking brake pedal hanging down a bit annoying at times) and probably lighten the trike's weight by almost 15 lbs (removing the electric reverse motor).

Another point of consideration is that with the electric reverse and parking brake gone - the need for those indicators in the Freewheeler's main gauge is mute. And, that opens up the possibility of using "other" gauges (HDs and Dakota Digital).

Yes, I have to say that this path (dumping the electric reverse and parking brake...and installing a mechanical reverse) would most definitely IMPROVE the Freewheeler and give me greater peace of mind in the vehicles overall reliability in my opinion.......

Springman

....I just put in 1st gear when I park it.

I also have been wondering if a mechanical reverse with an electrical lockout would/could be used....enguaged, would it be strong enough to keep the trike from rolling on a hill? If so, I could/would use that. Then, I could remove the parking brake and the electric reverse motor and get ride of the two worst aspects of the Freewheel in one swoop....

.Springman

I have the moto-trike mechanial reverse ......And if left in reverse on a hill it will roll... I don't use my park brake at all i just leave it in first gear... And it won't roll on a hill...:Shrug:

It is a very simple system until the pawl brakes. :AGGHH: My 2014 TriGlide was changed out under warranty.

I'd bet yours is broken.

Bob :D

Parking brake pawl failure.jpg

Yesterday I got down and moved the spring around. Today when I got in the parking garage I stepped on the brake and it worked. I'll just wait til I go to the dealer and have it checked.

HDBOB, the pic you posted is not familiar. I wonder if the parking brake on the Tri and Freewheeler are the same.

I'll have to look at it again when I get home.

Yesterday I got down and moved the spring around. Today when I got in the parking garage I stepped on the brake and it worked. I'll just wait til I go to the dealer and have it checked.

HDBOB, the pic you posted is not familiar. I wonder if the parking brake on the Tri and Freewheeler are the same.

I'll have to look at it again when I get home.

Same parking brake Rushmore TriGlides and FLRTs .... this is the ratchet pawl pictured with both side bushings on it. The ratchet spring clips into it ... and the spring is over the pawl on the same bolt going through the center of the pawl and bushings. Pawl is P/N 83000018.

Parking break indicator light not going off

I have only ridden this thing a few times and went to take off pkg break and indicator light on gauge wouldn't come off. Read owners manual this am ...Went out and followed directions. No luck. Got on ground and manually pressed depressed it. Does not seem to click into lock or fully depress. I'm not sure what happened but indicator light went off (yippie) after I monkeyed around with with my hand. I'm gonna get my mechanically adept son to read these threads so I'd appreciate your advice. What is the spring you refer to? How exactly did you manipulate it. I'm gonna go out and look at this thing but I wish I could find mechanical diagram or pic other than in owners.

I guess I can ride this w/o using emergency break (what I've garnered from your posts.).

but I live in mountains & thought it would be super thing to have... I am gonna take to dealer to fix, but from what I read in these threads is that this seems to be an undependsble item. Is that a fair assumption? Woukd i probably be wise getting chocks & keeping in trunk (yea/nay) Question..,Is this item under warranty.

question-in your estimation is this otherwise a dependable bike.

Thanks for helping this newbie and sorry I have so many questions.

I have only ridden this thing a few times and went to take off pkg break and indicator light on gauge wouldn't come off. Read owners manual this am ...Went out and followed directions. No luck. Got on ground and manually pressed depressed it. Does not seem to click into lock or fully depress. I'm not sure what happened but indicator light went off (yippie) after I monkeyed around with with my hand. I'm gonna get my mechanically adept son to read these threads so I'd appreciate your advice. What is the spring you refer to? How exactly did you manipulate it. I'm gonna go out and look at this thing but I wish I could find mechanical diagram or pic other than in owners.

I guess I can ride this w/o using emergency break (what I've garnered from your posts.).

but I live in mountains & thought it would be super thing to have... I am gonna take to dealer to fix, but from what I read in these threads is that this seems to be an undependsble item. Is that a fair assumption? Woukd i probably be wise getting chocks & keeping in trunk (yea/nay) Question..,Is this item under warranty.

question-in your estimation is this otherwise a dependable bike.

Thanks for helping this newbie and sorry I have so many questions.

Push to set ... should hold firm on 4th click down. Push down and release QUICKLY to let it raise QUICKLY to the top position.

If it does not come up ... reach down and pull pedal up firmly (or hook toe under).

I've been using my parking brake for 25 months and 22k miles.

1 broken ratchet pawl replaced.

I also park in gear all the time.

Thanks

Push to set ... should hold firm on 4th click down. Push down and release QUICKLY to let it raise QUICKLY to the top position.

If it does not come up ... reach down and pull pedal up firmly (or hook toe under).

I've been using my parking brake for 25 months and 22k miles. 1 broken ratchet pawl replaced.
I also park in gear all the time.

Thank you!!!!!!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back