Spark Plugs

NC Triker

200+ Posts
Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
Supply, NC
Had the 30k service done on my 2017 Triglide. Service mgr said spark plugs are changed on 30k service but I didn't have them changed as I have no ignition problems. Now I am thinking about upgrading the spark plug wires to those from DK Custom Products. While I have the tank off I will change the spark plugs. Does anyone have an opinion on the spark plug wires and brand of spark plugs?

Since the advent of unleaded gas and hot ignition systems have yet to change spark plugs on any of my vehicles my truck right now has 60,000 miles and no problems with the plugs my 2011 triglide I had close to 50,000 miles and never touch the plugs. My wife’s car has 102,000 miles and still original plugs….

Had the 30k service done on my 2017 Triglide. Service mgr said spark plugs are changed on 30k service but I didn't have them changed as I have no ignition problems. Now I am thinking about upgrading the spark plug wires to those from DK Custom Products. While I have the tank off I will change the spark plugs. Does anyone have an opinion on the spark plug wires and brand of spark plugs?

I think they work well. I put them on a couple yrs ago

Before I would change either, look at your owners manual for recommendations.

Pull your plugs and look at them to see if they are burning properly. You just had a 30k service done, what does the service tech think?

Your plug wires, put them to an ohm test. By doing this you'll know how things are. Don't spend money to spend money.

Changed the spark plugs last month. Used OEM. Bought them with Visa gift card points ying yang. Came under $25.00- I've spent more in the first 5 minutes walking into a bar. You won't see any benift from upgraded spark plugs on a stock motor except from some delusion you now have a race motor.

Before I would change either, look at your owners manual for recommendations.

Pull your plugs and look at them to see if they are burning properly. You just had a 30k service done, what does the service tech think?

Your plug wires, put them to an ohm test. By doing this you'll know how things are. Don't spend money to spend money.

Just to add to the ohm test for the wires, twist the wires to see if the ohms change. Sometimes wires get a bit of breakage enough to change this value, 10K to 12K resistance per foot is a good rule of thumb

There is no reason to mess with the spark plugs or wires as long as the engine is running good.

These days the only reason I replace spark plugs at a certain interval is so that they do not get stuck in the cylinder head.

There are a lot of gimmick spark plugs out there, but none are better than the ones that came in the bike originally.

I like to replace them at 30K, just so they don`t become embedded in the cylinder head.

No anti seize needed, all modern plugs already have a sacrificial coating on the threads for that purpose.

The service manuals now state clean and dry threads for spark plugs.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back