Something unique

trike lady

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 26, 2008
Lovington, NM, U.S.A.
Maybe someone can explain this to me, I watched this video earlier today and I am a bit confused, not by the ceremony, but that two individuals being pinned were not in Navy uniforms, one was Air Force and the other Army and they were pinned as CPOs and carried their Navy cover. It was a very nice ceremony.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/551754/navy-cpo-pinning-national-capital-region

In the military it's tradition that advancement in grade can't be worn on the uniform until pinned on by a superior officer. Pay date and date of rank are the date of the order to advance in rank. The pinning ceremony could be as long as a month after the orders are published and can be a joint ceremony. CPO is the acronym for Chief Petty Officer. Hope this sheds some light and enjoy the ride.

Maybe someone can explain this to me, I watched this video earlier today and I am a bit confused, not by the ceremony, but that two individuals being pinned were not in Navy uniforms, one was Air Force and the other Army and they were pinned as CPOs and carried their Navy cover. It was a very nice ceremony.

https://www.dvidshub.net/video/551754/navy-cpo-pinning-national-capital-region

The Navy use to allow other services E-7s to voluntarily participate in Chiefs initiation/transition. Afterwards they were afforded all of the military courtesies normally given to Navy Chief Petty Officers. This practice was stopped about 12 years ago, but I'm guessing the Pentagon folks have revived it. I was a Navy Chief Petty Officer (or above) for 21 years of my 30 year career and I never liked the practice. Primarily because the other services folks didn't have the same experiences that Navy personnel had getting there and their frame of reference was different. And, to me honorary titles just sucked....

Bubba

Thank you. I got it now, that's not fair in my opinion to the men and women of the Navy who actually 'Earned' CPO.

That's my take on it too. When I was initiated in 1989 there was a Marine that went through it with us and I had a hard time accepting him as an honorary Chief. He was a nice guy and all, but he earned the title by just going through 8 weeks of initiation with us.

Bubba

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back