Solid Axle vs Independent Axle

I was looking at the DFT IRS for the Tri Glides. Looks great, & a simple install. Even went as far as to talk with them about their policy for having only authorized shops do the install. I was told that they would bypass that is I could do everything myself.
I couldn't get over the expense of the conversion just to get IRS. So I convinced myself when the rear end wears out under the Tri I might do it then.... The other day I installed a pair of Progressive 416 shocks........ Now I don't think I will do the IRS ! HUGE DIFFERENCE !! A set of shocks that have a great progressive spring rate, & a shock that actually works as a shock ! Also the top pressure for a load is 100# not 50#. And they are re-buildable !
Also,,, you can purchase the rear rotors from DFT which are 10.5" & their mounting plate to use your stock calipers that would give you some better brakes, all for a measly $600.This would fit the stock Tri Glide.

I was looking at the DFT IRS for the Tri Glides. Looks great, & a simple install. Even went as far as to talk with them about their policy for having only authorized shops do the install. I was told that they would bypass that is I could do everything myself.
I couldn't get over the expense of the conversion just to get IRS. So I convinced myself when the rear end wears out under the Tri I might do it then.... The other day I installed a pair of Progressive 416 shocks........ Now I don't think I will do the IRS ! HUGE DIFFERENCE !! A set of shocks that have a great progressive spring rate, & a shock that actually works as a shock ! Also the top pressure for a load is 100# not 50#. And they are re-buildable !
Also,,, you can purchase the rear rotors from DFT which are 10.5" & their mounting plate to use your stock calipers that would give you some better brakes, all for a measly $600.This would fit the stock Tri Glide.
I have been thinking about the 416 shocks also. So far the results from owners who have installed them are very positive and for the price I think they would be money well spent. I love the way mine handles so I will be sticking with the straight axles. Although I have not ridden an IRS trike, I have seen two DFT trikes traded for Tri Glides at our dealer.

I put on my old shocks and tires along with removing the lift brackets..And drove it around..Didnt check tire pressure yet but seemed like a whole new bike over the bumps..Think the tire pressure is low..

Thanks for all the great opinions!

So test drove the 2015 TG this past weekend and I'm sold! Gorgeous machine! The Frederick dealership had a single 2015 in stock, the dark grey one. Pinstriping is a plus, but preferred the White/Blue model. Apparently, they're hard to find on the east coast, but put a deposit on a White/Blue nevertheless and girded myself for the wait. Got a call yesterday. I was thrilled to learn that they found one down in Chesapeake. Taking delivery this weekend!

Even though I watched their obligatory video, I still wasn't quite prepared at how differently a trike handles vs two-wheel. Took me a few moments to change my riding patterns. Suffice to stay, when I drive out of the dealership this coming weekend, it's going to be go-slo-mode for a bit until I become accustomed to the dynamics.

I noted those comments about how rough a solid axle can be compared to IRS-type suspension, so I added a Road Zeppelin Air Adjustable Seat as an option, thinking it might help take the edge off, on those bumps. Also upgraded the exhaust with Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons and a taller windershield.

I'll be sure to post pics when I can. Thanks once again for your comments!

Vince.

I live in Wyoming and towns are 100 miles apart with lots of open prairie and high mountain twistes.
I rode both the independent and straight axle models.
I found the straight axle to (Feel) more solid in the curves giving me a sensation of more control.
However the independent suspension feels much better on my cities crappy streets. I can get along with it on the mountain roads also.

I will be honest, the longer wheel base makes a difference anywhere.
How much riding are you going to do in town?

I built my trike myself and I built it for the highway, as soon as I get it up to speed the ride smooth's right out with my champion straight axle kit and I just don't see any reason to go the extra expense involved in the independent suspension. of course shocks make a difference, I use air shocks, others swear by progressive shocks both are good.

Installing a raked triple tree to improve handling is a necessity on just about any trike.

I reasoned that if a straight axle was good enough for the tri-glide it was good enough for me, and that has proved the case for my riding terrain and style.

I live within 150 miles of Spearfish and the Leman factory and they do good work for sure.
If you are at all handy with a wrench and have a motor manual handy for reference (torque values etc.) you can convert your own.
There are a few tricks such as using a spot weld on the bottom neck race for easy removal but these tricks are easy to find out by asking folks on this forum for advice and checking out the build forums.

There are sponsors on this forum that will sell you a kit and deliver it to your door to do yourself and those who insist they do the conversion for you, (ask for assistance and you will get it a discounted price.)

The difference between a good trike and a bad one depends entirely on the integrity of the builder. (ask before turning your bike over to just anyone)
I was able to control quality from the word go by doing the conversion myself, No corners were cut, no shortcuts taken etc.
I'm not the only one here who has done it themselves.

for pics of the conversion Google - pcombe library/photobucket

teton3.jpg

How hard can you take a corner on a trike no matter which style suspension?
If you screw up and miss the corner, back off 5MPH and try again?

P.S. I have never had a back wheel come off the ground.;)

IMHO There is NO comparison. Years ago too many to remember I owned a solid axle trike. One of the rear wheels was always coming off the ground. ended up flipping it broke 3 ribs my collar bone and lost my spleen. Last year I was shopping for a trike I rented a Tri Glide from Myrtle Beach H.D. not much had changed, when cornering very hard the tire lifted. The right more so than the left. I found a newly converted Road King Classic with a Motor Trike IRS. I have tried to get a tire to lift riding very hard and aggressively it stays put. I did not get to ride the TRI Glide on Upstate NY. winding weather beaten roads like I have the Motor Trike. I need a rake kit to improve and ease it's turning but it sure is a comfortable ride on rough roads Hope this helps in your decision with whatever you choose. Ride safe

Well, it looks like if you are going to ride on bad roads most of the time or want to raise one of the rear wheels around a corner = get an IRS.

If on the other hand you travel on good roads most of the time and are not a speed demon around corners = stay with the solid axle. Why spend $5000+ when you don't need to?

Simple decision.
For me it was a stock Harley with a full mfg's warranty.

So test drove the 2015 TG this past weekend and I'm sold! Gorgeous machine! The Frederick dealership had a single 2015 in stock, the dark grey one. Pinstriping is a plus, but preferred the White/Blue model. Apparently, they're hard to find on the east coast, but put a deposit on a White/Blue nevertheless and girded myself for the wait. Got a call yesterday. I was thrilled to learn that they found one down in Chesapeake. Taking delivery this weekend!

Even though I watched their obligatory video, I still wasn't quite prepared at how differently a trike handles vs two-wheel. Took me a few moments to change my riding patterns. Suffice to stay, when I drive out of the dealership this coming weekend, it's going to be go-slo-mode for a bit until I become accustomed to the dynamics.

I noted those comments about how rough a solid axle can be compared to IRS-type suspension, so I added a Road Zeppelin Air Adjustable Seat as an option, thinking it might help take the edge off, on those bumps. Also upgraded the exhaust with Screamin' Eagle Street Cannons and a taller windershield.

Vince.

mega-icon-smiley-thumbs-up_zpse96db721.jpg Now all you gotta do is learn to keep your feet up and watch your back fenders especially around a gas pump. Old habits die hard!
Learn to lock an elbow in a turn to decrease fatigue,

Well, it looks like if you are going to ride on bad roads most of the time or want to raise one of the rear wheels around a corner = get an IRS.

If on the other hand you travel on good roads most of the time and are not a speed demon around corners = stay with the solid axle. Why spend $5000+ when you don't need to?

Simple decision.
For me it was a stock Harley with a full mfg's warranty.
Looks like you and I view thing diff. I have never kept anything stock and never will. The last thing I want is the same bike as anyone who walks into a dealer can buy. The day that happens I'll quit riding,Start drinking warm milk and in bed by 9 = BORING yolo

Looks like you and I view thing diff. I have never kept anything stock and never will. The last thing I want is the same bike as anyone who walks into a dealer can buy. The day that happens I'll quit riding,Start drinking warm milk and in bed by 9 = BORING yolo

You're quite right. We definitely do see things differently. Most all my vehicles I keep stock except for safety or comfort items. My 2003 Ultra was the last bike I put every conceivable update/upgrade to = I got zip back for any of that stuff when I sold it.
The reason I did it in the first place was because I almost totaled it on the Pig Trail in Arkansas. I thought now's my chance to upgrade all the chrome goodies and other stuff because all I had to do was pay the difference between the stock parts and the upgrades, didn't even have to pay labor since that was already covered in the insurance. I saved thousands of dollars doing that. Never again. I have no problems with having the same thing as somebody else. I do not want to stand out in the crowd. I like being anonymous. :D

I do like looking at what others do to their bikes though. ThumbUp

IMHO There is NO comparison. Years ago too many to remember I owned a solid axle trike. One of the rear wheels was always coming off the ground. ended up flipping it broke 3 ribs my collar bone and lost my spleen. Last year I was shopping for a trike I rented a Tri Glide from Myrtle Beach H.D. not much had changed, when cornering very hard the tire lifted. The right more so than the left. I found a newly converted Road King Classic with a Motor Trike IRS. I have tried to get a tire to lift riding very hard and aggressively it stays put. I did not get to ride the TRI Glide on Upstate NY. winding weather beaten roads like I have the Motor Trike. I need a rake kit to improve and ease it's turning but it sure is a comfortable ride on rough roads Hope this helps in your decision with whatever you choose. Ride safe
I ride my Tri Glide pretty hard thru the curves and it has never lifted the rear wheel. I can make the front tire skip when hitting the curves hard, but this trike has never lifted the rear wheel!

I ride my Tri Glide pretty hard thru the curves and it has never lifted the rear wheel. I can make the front tire skip when hitting the curves hard, but this trike has never lifted the rear wheel!

We learned a thing about the front tire skip. Last year while talking with a friend who does a lot of motorcycle suspension work, we mentioned the front tire skip on the Triglide. He told us its because the front suspension isn't following the road properly through the corners. This winter we shipped the legs from my dads too him for a Traxion AK20 cartridge install. The forks had around 40,000 miles on them at the time. The 1st thing he noticed was the oil came out like sludge, he said the tire was pretty much the front suspension.

The handling is night and day different since the change. My dad has been through corners where he used to skip the front tire, now it doesn't skip. He has about 10,000 miles on the new front suspension, no skips, and it takes bumps better.

I used to do it intentionally (many moons ago) since I couldn't wheelie the darn thing I would get it up on the front wheel and the right rear tire. Hence the broken and missing body parts.

By the way,,,,,,, A new trike is coming out with IRS & full factory warranty along with the warranty on the Trike.
Something new to look at.... :http://www.bikernettrikes.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=12403
Old news. That's for the Victory Cross-Country. I contacted them a couple weeks ago and they only have two left. Seems they have inconsistent production runs.

- - - Updated - - -

Vince.

Well, picked up the new scoot this last Saturday! Lovin' it! :D

Vince.

Attachments

• TriGlide-3.jpg
    TriGlide-3.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 68
  • TriGlide-2.jpg
    TriGlide-2.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 71
  • TriGlide-1.jpg
    TriGlide-1.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 60
By the way,,,,,,, A new trike is coming out with IRS & full factory warranty along with the warranty on the Trike.
Something new to look at.... :http://www.bikernettrikes.com/pages/story_detail.aspx?id=12403

Well, I have to admit it, but that looks pretty good. I didn't like the Victory tourers before, but the addition of the trike body somehow makes it visually appealing. Still would buy a TriGlide though - - it's a HARLEY by god and I do like baseball and apple pie too. :)

I have owned a TriGlide and a CSC conversion (IRS and made in Virginia). For me there is no comparison. In Minnesota where the roads are terrible I much prefer the CSC ride. In Florida where the roads are much better, I still much prefer the IRS.
And, the CDC handling is far superior in the twisties. I've proven that over two six day trips around Colorado this summer and last.

I have owned a TriGlide and a CSC conversion (IRS and made in Virginia). For me there is no comparison. In Minnesota where the roads are terrible I much prefer the CSC ride. In Florida where the roads are much better, I still much prefer the IRS.
And, the CDC handling is far superior in the twisties. I've proven that over two six day trips around Colorado this summer and last.

Proven it to who?

Nobody is disagreeing about the IRS being smoother then a solid axle. What I'm saying is it's not worth $5000 more - at least to me. I am perfectly content with the solid axle's performance and see no reason to change. I stay off of bad roads and yes, I have ridden on some pretty bad streets, but that only lasts a few minutes. Still not worth the extra$$$$ to me. I've been told I'm a tightwad - I have to agree. :D

I would love to ride with you in the twisties and compare both. I've never ridden an IRS in the twisties so I can't say if it's better or worse. All I can say is keeping up with 6 rice rockets on the Cherohala Skyway last summer was very invigorating. :)

On a good smooth road how can you tell the difference???

Maybe in another 10 years when I'm 80 or have a bad back, I'll reconsider. :D

Ride and enjoy whatever you ride. And stay safe. ThumbUp

Proven it to who?

Nobody is disagreeing about the IRS being smoother then a solid axle. What I'm saying is it's not worth $5000 more - at least to me. I am perfectly content with the solid axle's performance and see no reason to change. I stay off of bad roads and yes, I have ridden on some pretty bad streets, but that only lasts a few minutes. Still not worth the extra$$$$ to me. I've been told I'm a tightwad - I have to agree. :D

I agree it wouldn't be worth the extra money if a person owns a Triglide, but if they are converting, its a whole different deal. The Motor Trike Gladiator IRS is only $1,000 more than its straight axle Trog, the CSC IRS Harley kit is also within the same cost as the Motor Trike Gladiator.