Say Hello to the New Guy

Jan 26, 2024
Jefferson, GA, USA
Hi, my name is Gerry and I reside in the great state of Georgia in USA. I live in the NE area of the state in a place called Jefferson.

I currently ride a 2008 Honda VT750C Shadow Aero Trike. Her color is all Black. The trike is new to me as I've only been on the road with it three times. My main mode of two wheel riding is a 2001 Harley-Davidson XL883C.

One of my reasons for joining the forum is to learn why my Honda trike cuts out just past 50-55mph. I was pretty surprised when this happen while I was out on the road as it put me a risk of being hit by another driver.

I've been informed that many trike conversions have a rev limiter installed to prohibit higher speeds do to the obvious risks when making high speed turns. I'd like to learn more about this if anyone would like to comment.

Hi, my name is Gerry and I reside in the great state of Georgia in USA. I live in the NE area of the state in a place called Jefferson.

I currently ride a 2008 Honda VT750C Shadow Aero Trike. Her color is all Black. The trike is new to me as I've only been on the road with it three times. My main mode of two wheel riding is a 2001 Harley-Davidson XL883C.

One of my reasons for joining the forum is to learn why my Honda trike cuts out just past 50-55mph. I was pretty surprised when this happen while I was out on the road as it put me a risk of being hit by another driver. I've been informed that many trike conversions have a rev limiter installed to prohibit higher speeds do to the obvious risks when making high speed turns. I'd like to learn more about this if anyone would like to comment.

Gerry Welcome to Trike Talk…..👍..I never heard of that type of limiter??….Does it cut off suddenly or does it sputter, just before it cuts off?? If that’s the case it could be that the gas tank isn’t venting….?

Trike rev limiter?

Thanks for the response. It cuts out as though the gas has run empty - so that would be a sputter. I've heard that the problem may be bad gas tank venting.

One of my reasons for joining the forum is to learn why my Honda trike cuts out just past 50-55mph. I was pretty surprised when this happen while I was out on the road as it put me a risk of being hit by another driver. I've been informed that many trike conversions have a rev limiter installed to prohibit higher speeds do to the obvious risks when making high speed turns. I'd like to learn more about this if anyone would like to comment.

Jerry, that would have to be a Motor Trike VT750C Shadow Aero conversion yes? Years ago when MT first introduced those, we were a dealer for them and they sold like popcorn. They came pre-built by MotorTrike and weren't available as a conversion. I'll try to find my 750 Shadow Trike pics and post some up.

We never exprienced what you are describing and I know that they did not have a rev limiter, they were just limited by the available power the bike made. Some of you may remeber that there was a guy here on the forum that owned one and toured the US on it and posted about here. I remember he did the Four Corners tour.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back