Route 66 planning

Dec 15, 2012
austell, GA, USA
Wanting to hear from people who have done 66 or live near it. Planning on my next trip for July. My son and I will be traveling from Georgia to illinois to see family then planning to take 66 from Chicago to LA, then highways home. I want to plan what sites to take in on our trip. I love the cheap/free ones . We will be camping most of the way with some hotel stays. Taking my 72 vw trike.
Thanks.
Matt

Be sure to get the 13 Ks. miles Has a very interesting bridge on it. It will be a good trip,but really hot in JULY. RIDE SAFE

Be sure to get the 13 Ks. miles Has a very interesting bridge on it. It will be a good trip,but really hot in JULY. RIDE SAFE
cool. Thanks . yep. Planning on some toasty weather. If we end up with a scorcher we'll change to plan to Pacific northwest and do 66 the following fall. Maybe I'll end up with some unseasonable cool weather like I did this past summer. I had to go and buy myself a sleeping bag for the tent. I left mine at home and the Blanket wasn't cutting it at night.

I live about 30 miles south of Joplin, MO. We have been on 66 from Lebanon, MO to Oklahoma City OK, and rode the Joplin to Tulsa stretch pretty much every time we go to Tulsa. It's not as fast, but a lot more interesting than running the Will Rogers Turnpike, and unlike the Trunpike, 66 is not a toll road.

If you are through the area about stopping time, it might be worthwhile to spend a night in 1949 style at Boots Court. It is being restored, I believe there are 5 rooms finished for travelers, including one in which clark Gable stayed. here are a few links:

http://www.bootscourt.com/default.html

https://www.google.com/search?q=boo...69i60l2j0l2.5717j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

I'm watching this thread because my wife and me and another couple are headed west next year and wanting do do at least part of Route 66. We are wanting to take the southern route one way and come back the northern route. I know the weather is something to consider but what is the best time of year to make this trip? What are some of the main thing to check out along the way? I know I'm tagging on to the post but looking for some of the same things.:cxtv:

Thanks for any help!

Get the Route 66 ride book and stay off the bitten path. Plan on a lot of the old part of Route 66. When you get close to Oklahoma e-mail me. If I'm not gone I might be able to give you a guided tour across OK.
pandlbiker@olp.net

Thanks. I'll get it . That would be cool. I want to stick with as many old parts as possible. I'm budgeting in about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks for just the 66 part. I haven't decided if we will head to LA first then go north, or head to Chicago first then go south. I'm starting to think heading north on 66 would be the better idea. We have family in illinois we can crash with for a few days to recuperate before driving home.
Will definitely be seeing the petrified forest.

Check out Oatman AZ which is an old gold mining town. they have wild burros roaming the streets as well as gunfights. Not to far from Laughlin, NV which is a good watering hole and you might even win a few $$ if lady luck in on your side.

Dont know your timetable,
But early summer would be better than july or august.

Allow some flexiblity in your schedule.
Summer thunderstorms/ tornados can throw a major kink in things.

Also be prepared for WIND. It can blow for days in central to western Kansas/Oklahoma
We are talking 30 mph plus wind.

A good weather app on your smart phone is a GOOD idea.
Check it every time you stop for gas.

Check out Oatman AZ which is an old gold mining town. they have wild burros roaming the streets as well as gunfights. Not to far from Laughlin, NV which is a good watering hole and you might even win a few $$ if lady luck in on your side.

Oatman is a fun stop and Laughlin is a good place to spend the night. Kingman AZ is not that far away and is also another good stop over location. If you could go out in April you could hit the Laughlin River Run (annual bike week)......Will get your monies worth just people watching.

- - - Updated - - -

Oatman is a fun stop and Laughlin is a good place to spend the night. Kingman AZ is not that far away and is also another good stop over location. If you could go out in April you could hit the Laughlin River Run (annual bike week)......Will get your monies worth just people watching.

Billy's show was one of our inspirations. We will try hard not to flip at the end though. Thanks for the offer R and R. We ended up getting a used copy of the book off eBay that looks like it was on the trip before. Lot of handwritten notes from someone's 2013 trip.
We are looking at 2016 now so we can leave in mid to late may. Wouldn't be able to leave until July if we did it this year. I teach and am able to take off from may until the end of july. I was thinking about building a teardrop camper to tow but after our trip out to Wyoming on the trike last summer I think that would just allow too much of a target for wind. I am modifying my small tow behind trailer for the trip.

check out www.ridert66.com for information on the Mother Road Rally June 10-21.
I40 from Tucumcari to Albuquerque overlays RT66. Be sure to spend time at Clines Corners half way between. Yes it is a tourist trap but it is an original piece of RT66 that made the transition and is worth a look.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back