Rough ride

Mar 13, 2019
Henderson NV USA
Just bought this 03 Goldwing Lehman monarch 2 and hate how rough it rides! Running the rear load suspension at about 5 single Rider, rear tires at 24 lb, just seems awfully bouncy to me. Any suggestions?

Just bought this 03 Goldwing Lehman monarch 2 and hate how rough it rides! Running the rear load suspension at about 5 single Rider, rear tires at 24 lb, just seems awfully bouncy to me. Any suggestions?

Provided you are running 205/70R15 (or 16) rear tires, they should be at 20 PSI. Get them up to temperature and let the pressure down. Make sure your gauge is correct.

Remember, you are running 3 tires now instead of 2 with 50% more tire contact and a straight axle, a bouncy ride should be expected on rough roads.

Provided you are running 205/70R15 (or 16) rear tires, they should be at 20 PSI. Get them up to temperature and let the pressure down. Make sure your gauge is correct.

Remember, you are running 3 tires now instead of 2 with 50% more tire contact and a straight axle, a bouncy ride should be expected on rough roads.

+1 .... and since the rear wheals are huge compared to a 2 wheeler, I'm guessing it's way more that 50% more tire contact. Also, when you hit anything on 2 wheels, the movement is mainly up and down. On a trike when you hit a bump, it's mostly side to side movement. It's a different platform .. but it does grow on ya :D

Having said that ... as mentioned, play with tire pressure, slight changes can make big differences.

Hey Jim I need some rear brake pads, I'll call you or email you.

My earlier Lehman GTL is also solid axle, came with fat 245/60-15 rear tires, I scaled back to 215/70-15 rear tires. When it had them fat 245/60-15 ones, I ran 20-25 psi (MAX) in back as told, and I still run usually 20-22 PSI cold adjusted, and I may run as high as 25 if pulling the trailer too.

I am almost always carrying my wife. Even at 20-22 most of the time, even these slightly narrower 215/70s are plenty stiff and wear slightly …. just slightly …. more in center.

The reason I even mention the 245/60s was I know many earlier Lehmans were so equipped and it was once suggested 20-25 psi, but those Qualifier GTs wore out in the center at those PSI and road harder than the current 215/70s, they were like big rotating air tanks.

Just food for thought. They are "car tires", meant to carry a far heavier load than they'll see on a trike.

My earlier Lehman GTL is also solid axle, came with fat 245/60-15 rear tires, I scaled back to 215/70-15 rear tires. When it had them fat 245/60-15 ones, I ran 20-25 psi (MAX) in back as told, and I still run usually 20-22 PSI cold adjusted, and I may run as high as 25 if pulling the trailer too.

I am almost always carrying my wife. Even at 20-22 most of the time, even these slightly narrower 215/70s are plenty stiff and wear slightly …. just slightly …. more in center.

The reason I even mention the 245/60s was I know many earlier Lehmans were so equipped and it was once suggested 20-25 psi, but those Qualifier GTs wore out in the center at those PSI and road harder than the current 215/70s, they were like big rotating air tanks.

Just food for thought. They are "car tires", meant to carry a far heavier load than they'll see on a trike.

Thanks for the info!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eddienorman
Back