Removing the parking brake.

I just replaced the rear brake pads on our 2010 TG with Lyndall Pads and I want to totally remove the rear parking brake. I haven't really gotten under it to get a good look at what all is involved with it but I'm looking for some do's and dont's on totally taking the whole "schabang" off. Then maybe people won't ask us, "Is that an umbrella there?" anymore too!!:D

just remove the r/h tire and place a jack stand under the axle. the you unbolt the
e-brake brackets and the e-brake falls free. then you pull on the cable and hold the cable at the 12:eek:'clock position and the swedge slides out of the caliper. (like brake cable)

These bikes are heavy and they will roll, even in gear. I don't see why removing the rear brake is good idea.

I know folks have had issues with the rear pads wearing prematurely, but a properly-adjusted parking brake should not cause any problems.

i use mine a lot.Wish there was an indicator light on the dash though so i wouldn't forget to release it as much.
You know it would be easy to hook up a indicator light when the brake is engaged. All you would need is some time and a few parts to make this happen..

I never ever used mine. I tested my bike without it on very steep hills and parked in gear. I could not get it to roll while in gear. And how often do you park on a really steep hill anyway. That parking brake caused scraping and squeaking noises and was always needing adjustment. And it is very ugly. My mechanic told me he could sure understand why I would want it gone and removed it with a smile, no problem. To me, and a lotta TG owners, it is a useless item that requires attention for something you do not need. To each his own though..if it makes you happy to use it..go for it!! But if you take it off, you will not miss it.

Mine has gone missing for a year and I still haven't missed it, never used it and found the umbrella looking handle a distraction. When I'm concerned about the trike rolling I use a Velcro strap to hold the front brake. I'm in the process of installing the Performance Machine stage 1 rear brakes, my kit is the older one which doesn't have any provisions for a parking brake.

The parking brake on the trike is about as useful as the one on my car (which I also never use). Most ATV's have a simple locking front brake lever which on the trike would have more grip and be less likely (never?) to left engaged. Of course that would be too simple. Nothing for HD to patent there.

When my trike was in our local dealership, I asked them if they would take the whole thing and of course they wouldnt because of reliability reasons. But they did show me a complete diagram of the whole the Parking Brake, so i wonder if they will make a copy of that for me for disassembly reasons?

the method i used to knoww if the e-brake was on is when i apply the e-brake
raised the passenger foot rest. so when ever i get on the t/g all i have to do is to glance at the f/rest if its up the brake is on. takes a bit of getting used to to train yourself, but it works.

I just replaced my brakes and readjusted the parking brake..Its a pretty basic system of cables and a accuator arm that moves the slined shaft that pushes the piston out..It can be removed easily by removing your wheels and 5/8 wrench to remove the nut pull the splined arm off and the the cable and leave the cables on the bike. If you dont want the brake arm showing then remove that too.. Its a realy basic brake system..Made by Hayes..

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back