Question on 14"next gen plus lift kit especially to Kevin

Trampas

1000+ Posts
Aug 27, 2016
Des Moines IA US
Question on 14"next gen plus lift kit especially to Kevin

Was at my dealer today with my trike and ran into another trike the same year. He has the 14" next gen shock plus lift from Kevin, he really enjoys the ride and his wife does to and like he said if I didn't do something to the suspension she wouldn't be riding. They are both happy with the ride.

Both bikes were beside each other and mine sits higher than his, granted I have air shocks but I only have 20lbs in shocks, he noticed the height difference also. He likes the height of mine showing more of rim and tire and I do have Kevin's lift kit on mine with air shocks. If this is the case I will keep my air shocks and rough it out I guess, I don't put many miles per year as some do, I know he said take his bike for a short ride and see how it rode, I declined, he said if I did you would be putting them on, told him I'm looking at the 13 inch since I already have the lift kit from Kevin and it still has 4 inch of travel like the 14 inch next gen. I just didn't like the look of his for height. I think if I was going to I think I would order the 14 inch with lift kit since it is around $150 or so more than just the 13 inch shock and sell my lift to somebody else I guess.

Hopefully Kevin can explain why the difference in height compared to mine or maybe somebody can, with mine only 20 lbs and stuff in trunk and tour pak loaded I was surprised in the height of his with 14" next gen and lift kit.

All for now Trampas

I forgot to add he said when filling the form he said around 400lbs for him and her and what they carry on the trike. He sat on mine to try the bars out and I told him they were 12.5 wild ones bars, he liked them, he said he needs to get a bumper put on and put some film on also, he noticed I had the bumper and the film, he said the film should have been put on when he got it since he has a few rock chips, he did put some adjustable passenger pegs on that he got from J & P and she likes them, he did put on the footboard spacers from DK and he likes them, he need to get a longer shift peg he said.

All for now Trampas

Hey Trampas,

I am in the middle of the White Mountains in AZ right now, and Kurt (Tonkadriver) brought your post to my attention.

We have a series of 3 videos explaining Trike Height on different years and models of Trikes. I will link the first in the series below.

You are correct in using the 13" NexGen. They will work with your existing Convertible Comfort Lift and will get you a tad bit higher static height than the 14" NexGen.

Also, you can always increase the pre-load a bit to get it to sit higher.

What you have observed is that most Trike shocks have a 2.5" or 3" travel, with only a few at 3.5" and the NexGen at 4" of travel.

For the best ride quality you want to have around 30-35% sag. So, with 4" of travel, there will be a little more sag than on a shock with less travel....but you can always run it with less sag, and still have an improved ride.

Always feel free to email or call with any questions.

We are about to break camp and it will be another day or two before I am back online.

Kevin

Thanks for responding back, I figured you were pretty busy or on vacation because I know you respond as quickly as you can on things here in the trike forum. I have watched all 3 videos and very interesting to say the least.

Special thanks to Tonkadriver for letting you know, enjoy your riding around and vacation. You would think all the driving you did with Mary out west and then Sturgis would have been enough, guess not LOL, enjoy

All for now Trampas

I know my 2002 Road King with air shocks had a very good ride and was happy, I know not much weight. Now with the triglide's and other 2 wheel baggers they use the same shock, 13 inch, I guess Harley Davidson doesn't give a damm about the people buying trikes, you would think harley would maybe put a different kind of shock like maybe a 14" air shock, not sure that would be any better, I do know from the forums and people that have the coil over shocks it still isn't worth a damm for a ride. With the weight and size of a triglide you would think the top people at harley would be putting on a better shock so people wouldn't have to spend more money to put aftermarket shocks on the trikes, trikes are high enough now in price and then they put a piece of crap for a shock on it, rant is off for now

OK HARLEY DAVIDSON LISTEN UP TO THE PEOPLE I KNOW HARLEY VIEWS WEBSITES BUT THEY DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE, GO FIGURE

All for now Trampas

I know my 2002 Road King with air shocks had a very good ride and was happy, I know not much weight. Now with the triglide's and other 2 wheel baggers they use the same shock, 13 inch, I guess Harley Davidson doesn't give a damm about the people buying trikes, you would think harley would maybe put a different kind of shock like maybe a 14" air shock, not sure that would be any better, I do know from the forums and people that have the coil over shocks it still isn't worth a damm for a ride. With the weight and size of a triglide you would think the top people at harley would be putting on a better shock so people wouldn't have to spend more money to put aftermarket shocks on the trikes, trikes are high enough now in price and then they put a piece of crap for a shock on it, rant is off for now

OK HARLEY DAVIDSON LISTEN UP TO THE PEOPLE I KNOW HARLEY VIEWS WEBSITES BUT THEY DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE, GO FIGURE

All for now Trampas

Why are you bitching like a little bitch here? Call HD. Write letters. Most importantly "sell" the HD trike wherever you go. Numbers talk. Unit sales talk. Only when more owners complain will anything be done. Put your money where big mouth is- buy a trike, bring it right back and demand the shocks be upgraded or demand a refund. If everyone does that watch how fast they change. Otherwise STFU.

Why are you bitching like a little bitch here? Call HD. Write letters. Most importantly "sell" the HD trike wherever you go. Numbers talk. Unit sales talk. Only when more owners complain will anything be done. Put your money where big mouth is- buy a trike, bring it right back and demand the shocks be upgraded or demand a refund. If everyone does that watch how fast they change. Otherwise STFU.

I have called several times to harley and they don't listen, I was ranting a little if you want to say I'm a little bi--h go right ahead, have been called worse in my life and it won't be the last either. It is not worth arguing with you and as far as I'm concerned you do alot on here yourself about people and little things, so I will quit right now because I don't want to get revoked on here, I like to post and I will want to do that in the future also.

All for now Trampas

OK HARLEY DAVIDSON LISTEN UP TO THE PEOPLE I KNOW HARLEY VIEWS WEBSITES BUT THEY

DON'T LISTEN TO THE PEOPLE, GO FIGURE

All for now Trampas

Harley and all other automotive type groups, leave this void for suppliers like DK to jump in. If Harley did it all - no more DK Customs. It's another economy.

Thanks for responding back, I figured you were pretty busy or on vacation because I know you respond as quickly as you can on things here in the trike forum. I have watched all 3 videos and very interesting to say the least.

Special thanks to Tonkadriver for letting you know, enjoy your riding around and vacation. You would think all the driving you did with Mary out west and then Sturgis would have been enough, guess not LOL, enjoy

All for now Trampas

Thanks!

Yes, we enjoyed getting together with some other Trike Talk Members and riding around Arizona.

Now we're visiting family for the next couple of weeks.

Kevin

When installing 13" or 14" and you need to adjust the sag more how hard is it to adjust with shocks still on the trike, I know to loosen up the little screw if I remember right and then turn the adjuster. I know you have to fill out a form so they can set it according to the form you filled out. I know one guy had to re do his after riding, his friends told him it looked a little bouncy and so he ended taking the shocks back off his trike and did the adjustment one full turn and now he is very happy, granted he said he was happy the way they were but he decided to because of friends telling him it looked bouncy what ever that means. He went with the soft plush ride on the form.

So can anybody say how hard it is to adjust when still on the trike without having to take them back off, that is alot of work to do that maybe if is not possible to do this on the trike, so anybody can answer this. It was alot of work just doing the lift kit on my trike and that helped but still have air shocks

All for now Trampas

When installing 13" or 14" and you need to adjust the sag more how hard is it to adjust with shocks still on the trike, I know to loosen up the little screw if I remember right and then turn the adjuster. I know you have to fill out a form so they can set it according to the form you filled out. I know one guy had to re do his after riding, his friends told him it looked a little bouncy and so he ended taking the shocks back off his trike and did the adjustment one full turn and now he is very happy, granted he said he was happy the way they were but he decided to because of friends telling him it looked bouncy what ever that means. He went with the soft plush ride on the form.

So can anybody say how hard it is to adjust when still on the trike without having to take them back off, that is alot of work to do that maybe if is not possible to do this on the trike, so anybody can answer this. It was alot of work just doing the lift kit on my trike and that helped but still have air shocks

All for now Trampas

Two ways...both involve getting the rear weight off the tires.

1. You can lay on your back and reach up and do it.

2. I find it easier to remove the rear tires and then the adjuster is right there...easy to do while sitting on a stool.

Kevin

Two ways...both involve getting the rear weight off the tires.

1. You can lay on your back and reach up and do it.

2. I find it easier to remove the rear tires and then the adjuster is right there...easy to do while sitting on a stool.

Kevin

Thanks for the feedback, good to know this, that is alot of work taking them back off and at my age, not sure why the other guy took his back off but he is happy and he old also, LOL

All for now Trampas

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back