Primary cover bolt with striped head.

when I worked at a shop years ago aways gave all the fasteners a wack with a hand impact first then finish taking them off with a t handle or speedhandle. Red Loctite still needs some heat.

I have one in my special tools drawer a great tool to have amazing what it can do for you getting tight things loose 😀 Fred

The most important step in removing any bolt that has been red loctit-ed, and I have to do it way to often, is to apply heat to the bolt head. And I mean considerable heat, up close and directed to the bolt head only. Otherwise forget it coming off, it will always shear if its a small bolt. I use a small butane torch on the small bolts and it almost always works without breaking the head off.

The trick is to keep heat on it for longer than you think its needs to be heated...like 15-30 seconds on small bolts and longer on larger bolts. The heat takes a while to soften the red loc-tite and as soon as you remove the heat it will almost immediately start to harden back up, so don't wait long before applying force to loosen the bolt, but turn it slowly with steady torque. Just remember, you are dealing with a very strong glue.

Yup go to the loctite site. Right there it says heat must be used to loosen fasteners that were red loctited. The configuration of the head isn't the problem. People are unfamiliar with the amount of force it should take to loosen a bolt. So they break something. Keeping in mind that a quarter twenty fastener should probably only be torqued to maybe 7ft lbs. That ain't much.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back