Polished Stainless Steel wheel backing plates

Mykneesbehurtin

1500+ Posts
Gold Member
Apr 27, 2016
Dayton Ohio
How many of you are running the polished Stainless plates behind your rear wheels to control brake dust,just got mine today and installed them,wondering if anyone has had any issues with them.

On my sports cars, I've found that less dust equals more heat. The shields block the air flow that cools the pads and rotors. Mercedes put out a service bulletin warning dealers to remove these. Maybe TriGlides get better air flow, but I'd doubt it. Easier to wash the wheels weekly, especially if you ride in the mountains where hot brakes are dangerous.

I asked others and they said that they have seen no issues with the brakes and some have had them on for 10,000 miles,after getting under my trike i have no worries about air flow lots of room for air flow.

SS Wheel Discs

Tri-Glides and Freewheelers get much better air flow around their braking system than your sports car. The SS discs don't block air flow, they were designed to help prevent the corrosive brake dust from coating the outer face of the aluminum mag. Air flow is important mind you but the Motor Company didn't feel that it was of that much of an importance that they wanted the air flow to come through the spokes of the mag. If they did, HD would have made the spokes perform just as propellers do on a boat or a fan, to purposely pull or push air through the mag. They also wouldn't have come out with the Fat Boy. Which happens to have a solid wheel next to the brake disc. So maybe on your sports car you had these problems. But what you experienced does not apply to the product I developed.

On my sports cars, I've found that less dust equals more heat. The shields block the air flow that cools the pads and rotors. Mercedes put out a service bulletin warning dealers to remove these. Maybe TriGlides get better air flow, but I'd doubt it. Easier to wash the wheels weekly, especially if you ride in the mountains where hot brakes are dangerous.

Tri-Glides and Freewheelers get much better air flow around their braking system than your sports car. The SS discs don't block air flow, they were designed to help prevent the corrosive brake dust from coating the outer face of the aluminum mag. Air flow is important mind you but the Motor Company didn't feel that it was of that much of an importance that they wanted the air flow to come through the spokes of the mag. If they did, HD would have made the spokes perform just as propellers do on a boat or a fan, to purposely pull or push air through the mag. They also wouldn't have come out with the Fat Boy. Which happens to have a solid wheel next to the brake disc. So maybe on your sports car you had these problems. But what you experienced does not apply to the product I developed.

Great product! Looks great and from what I've seen on trikes that have them, it does really work. I've got a 2018 TriGlide and want a set but am concerned after reading they won't work on the 18's with the caliper change. Is there a workaround this so they will work?

Great product! Looks great and from what I've seen on trikes that have them, it does really work. I've got a 2018 TriGlide and want a set but am concerned after reading they won't work on the 18's with the caliper change. Is there a workaround this so they will work?

Call the guy who makes them. He may be already checking that out. find his # here https://www.rjsoriginals.com/

Wheel Disc fitment

the 2018's have new calipers that rub on the disc surface so there really isn't a way around it.

A new revision has been developed and our mirror polished SS wheel discs now fit 2018 and 2019 Tri-Glides. For further information. You can call us at our new location in Missouri at 660-477-0109

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back