Parking Brake Hex Bar Adjustment

OK, using vise grips on the silver metal barrel spacer, I finally got the ADJUSTER HEX cover to come loose so that when I turn it to the right(clockwise), the number of screw threads are visibly increasing. So far, I have added over 1" of visible threads turning the ADJUSTER HEX cover. However, the trike still moves back and forth in a 3 to 4 foot span distance with the Parking Brake's pedal set on the 4th click. How much more screw threads distance do you think I am going to have to make visible before I see the Parking Brake pedal holding the Trike on the 4th click or do you think I have already gone to far indicating I need to replace the rear brake pads? On your Trike, how much screw thread distance do you have between the silver metal barrel spacer and the ADJUSTER HEX cover with the JAMNUT screw threads included? Thank you, Allen S.

There is a possibility your pads may be worn

However ,lengthen the adjuster till you get to 2-3 clicks and the trike does not move, press your rear brake pedal after making your adjustment also, it should be firmer and a bit higher

Get your rear brakes inspected to be sure the pads are OK;)

I have a lot of threads exposed on mine, I keep my pedal adjusted for best parking brake holding and optimum rear brake pad adjustment

Reactions: MDO
Thanks Jack, Both You and MDO have been a lot of help. The instructions in the HD Service Manual makes the process very simple if everything is work as it should. However, in this case, everything did not work as it should plus the Service Manual does not state if more or less screw threads need to be visible when performing the Parking Brake Pedal Adjustment. Once again, thank you both for all your help. I will let you know if and when I finally get the Parking Brake Pedal to hold on the 4th click. Allen S.

Your going to have to get that adjuster pretty hot to break it free

Use a vise grips on the other end, go easy, if it does not come free you will need more heat

I use a spray can of Liquid Wrench on corroded/rusty parts, it has worked wonders for me. I use some silicon spray for general lube of pivot points/hinges.

Good Luck and keep us all posted

MDO ( Michael is my partner in crime) :p He always has good info you can stand on;)

Thanks Jack, I have good info, unless I'm wrong.;) You sir are a mechanic, I am a garage hack the Navy taught to use a meter & turn a wrench in a limited form. On my subs, Missile Techs had to take care of the missile & launching system, which included electronics, electricity, hydraulics, pneumatics & water systems, so I got a little of everything, but I was an expert in none, just enough experience to get by.

Thanks Jack, I have good info, unless I'm wrong.;) You sir are a mechanic, I am a garage hack the Navy taught to use a meter & turn a wrench in a limited form. On my subs, Missile Techs had to take care of the missile & launching system, which included electronics, electricity, hydraulics, pneumatics & water systems, so I got a little of everything, but I was an expert in none, just enough experience to get by.

You pay attention to detail, ask all the right questions and give help based on your experiences.

What more could anyone ask for.;)

Keep on qualifying the members questions, together we will get it right and have a positive impact on the community here:clapping:

Hi Jack/MDO, Just wanted to give you an update on trying to loosen the threads inside the ADJUSTER HEX cover to adjust the Parking Brake pedal. The silver metal barrel spacer I was trying to hold and stop from turning, using vise grips, split and formed a crack on the side of the spacer from the vise grips applied pressure/teeth allowing the whole parking brake mechanism to, once again, turn while turning the ADJUSTER HEX cover. In turn, after a few "*#$!@*" choice words, I decided to tighten down the JAMNUT up against the ADJUSTER HEX cover and use a 1" Velcro strap to "pull-in" the front brake lever to the twist throttle if I ever need to park the TRIKE on an incline/decline in first gear. It is so seldom I use the Parking Brake, it seems to be most economic thing to do unless there might be a reason it would damage the Trike. In case I want to have the Parking Brake linkage repaired, do you happen to know if a new silver metal barrel spacer, threads insert, and ADJUSTER HEX cover can be installed after the OEM ones have been removed?

Once again, thanks for all the help.

Allen S.

# 29 is the front cable with adjuster, it aint cheap

HD16FLHTCUTG033.gif

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back