Overcoming Worry-Innocence Lost

SouthportFLRT

60+ Posts
Feb 2, 2023
Southport NC USA
My first venture onto 3 wheels was several months ago...at Harley On the Beach in N. Myrtle Beach SC. I had accepted what my physician and podiatrist recommended that I should simply give up attempting to continue to ride my Street Glide. The arthritis in my left foot had progressed to the point that only bone-on-bone existed...causing unbearable pain and the inability to keep my 900# SGS in a comfortable upright position. It didn't take long to sell it..the first person that showed up, without any hesitation, paid what I was asking for it...$21,000 invested in 2016...$19,000 returned in 2023. Indeed I had added LED lighting to the bike, which of course, was not free...but nevertheless, a very good return.

Some readers may recall that I was scammed on Ebay. Approximately 4 weeks after that incident, Auction Insurance Agency, on behalf of Ebay. refunded 85% of my money. So began my quest to find a trike once more. The initiation from Harley On the Beach was at best...embarrassing. I quickly found myself pointed the wrong way on a divided street. Thankfully no traffic was encountered to cause damage to myself nor that Freewheeler. But my own "ego" was more than a bit bruised. Not willing nor wanting to pay an exorbitant amount in the way of dealer fees and add-ons, I began to search Chopper Exchange and Cycle Trader. Happy to state Cycle Trader was the winner. On the very first day a 2019 Freewheeler was posted..the ad stating that it was being sold for some "old guy" I responded. Turns out the "old guy" was her father. A 78 year old gentleman that simply was no longer riding...his dream turned out to be merely a wishful thought. Florida heat, weather and traffic kept him from truly enjoying riding for any extended time. He did add Cobra Slip-ons as in his own words..."Harley's should be loud". He had also paid a local artist, Chris Cruz Artistry, to pinstripe the name "Time Machine" on the rear of the trike. Being just 6 years the "old guy"s" junior...I am keeping the name and the pinstriping as it is quite incredible. Pics will be posted once I learn just how to do that.

So...Innocence Lost. Thursday I received the Title. Yesterday I got License Plates. Today I took my first ride on my/our 2019 FLRT. It was glorious if only a bit brief. But I overcame any trepidation and inward fear...no divided streets nor cars or trucks approaching me head-on. Just the joy of once again riding. Only a week ago my wife was given her "5 years cancer free" diploma from Duke Medical. No more every 3 month visits required. Today she rode her FatBoy. We had honestly ridden very little in the past year due to her immune system, my arthritis and Covid-19. Perhaps we will once again join the HOG Chapter at Beach House H-D. What we know for certain is that we both will be riding again....together. I still have much to learn about riding a trike. One venture of a couple miles in no ways makes me an expert at anything. But I felt comfortable and as though...YES...I can do this. 72 in 20 days. Covid, Cancer, we choose to enjoy life. We may choose to continue to wear masks. RSV and Covid are still present.

And yes, I will add a few more trinkets to the trike. C'mon...Harley needs our $$$!!!

My first venture ont0 3 wheels was several months ago...at Harley On the Beach in N. Myrtle Beach SC. I had accepted what my physician and podiatrist recommended that I should simply give up attempting to continue to ride my Street Glide. The arthritis in my left foot had progressed to the point that only bone-on-bone existed...causing unbearable pain and the inability to keep my 900# SGS in a comfortable upright position. It didn't take long to sell it..the first person that showed up, without any hesitation, paid what I was asking for it...$21,000 invested in 2016...$19,000 returned in 2023. Indeed I had added LED lighting to the bike, which of course, was not free...but nevertheless, a very good return.

Some readers may recall that I was scammed on Ebay. Approximately 4 weeks after that incident, Auction Insurance Agency, on behalf of Ebay. refunded 85% of my money. So began my quest to find a trike once more. The initiation from Harley On the Beach was at best...embarrassing. I quickly found myself pointed the wrong way on a divided street. Thankfully no traffic was encountered to cause damage to myself nor that Freewheeler. But my own "ego" was more than a bit bruised. Not willing nor wanting to pay an exorbitant amount in the way of dealer fees and add-ons, I began to search Chopper Exchange and Cycle Trader. Happy to state Cycle Trader was the winner. On the very first day a 2019 Freewheeler was posted..the ad stating that it was being sold for some "old guy" I responded. Turns out the "old guy" was her father. A 78 year old gentleman that simply was no longer riding...his dream turned out to be merely a wishful thought. Florida heat, weather and traffic kept him from truly enjoying riding for any extended time. He did add Cobra Slip-ons as in his own words..."Harley's should be loud". He had also paid a local artist, Chris Cruz Artistry, to pinstripe the name "Time Machine" on the rear of the trike. Being just 6 years the "old guy"s" junior...I am keeping the name and the pinstriping as it is quite incredible. Pics will be posted once I learn just how to do that.

So...Innocence Lost. Thursday I received the Title. Yesterday I got License Plates. Today I took my first ride on my/our 2019 FLRT. It was glorious if only a bit brief. But I overcame any trepidation and inward fear...no divided streets nor cars or trucks approaching me head-on. Just the joy of once again riding. Only a week ago my wife was given her "5 years cancer free" diploma from Duke Medical. No more every 3 month visits required. Today she rode her FatBoy. We had honestly ridden very little in the past year due to her immune system, my arthritis and Covid-19. Perhaps we will once again join the HOG Chapter at Beach House H-D. What we know for certain is that we both will be riding again....together. I still have much to learn about riding a trike. One venture of a couple miles in no ways makes me an expert at anything. But I felt comfortable and as though...YES...I can do this. 72 in 20 days. Covid, Cancer, we choose to enjoy life. We may choose to continue to wear masks. RSV and Covid are still present.

And yes, I will add a few more trinkets to the trike. C'mon...Harley needs our $$$!!!

James’…Good for you.👍👍… 72 is the new retirement age now’.. You are still young ride the wheels off your new machine..ThumbUp

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back