NOOB Questions.....

Apr 12, 2012
nowhere, usa
O.K...so I have finally made the decision to get a Gold Wing trike. This is because of back surgery and at the STRONG suggestion by my doctor that I don't get two wheels.

Anyway, I am looking at a Hannigan conversion with a 4 degree rake. What else should I be looking for in regards to the trike itself. Is there a particular GW that makes for a better trike? How about the handling?.....Please chime in with any thoughts and/or suggestions......THANKS!!!!!

O.K...so I have finally made the decision to get a Gold Wing trike. This is because of back surgery and at the STRONG suggestion by my doctor that I don't get two wheels.

Anyway, I am looking at a Hannigan conversion with a 4 degree rake. What else should I be looking for in regards to the trike itself. Is there a particular GW that makes for a better trike? How about the handling?.....Please chime in with any thoughts and/or suggestions......THANKS!!!!!

I know very little of the Hannigan conversions but from what I hear they are a pretty good kit. Based on your medical history you might also want to consider a Roadsmith conversion. They have a bit longer wheel base to the jar on your back would be less.....

I expect you will be purchasing a GL1800 conversion but there are probably some GL1500s out there to be had. The 1800 is fuel-injected and obviously more powerful. You'd find both of those nice to have.... After 2006 all GL1800 come with the comfort package as a minimum so you'd get heated seats, hand grips, and foot warmer vents. There are some low mileage early model bikes around but your neck of the woods gets pretty cool so I'd recommend an '06 or later...

Hopefully some of the Hannigan and Roadsmith guys will chime in and point out the plus or minus of those conversions. I know some de-link the brakes and some deactivate the ABS. To me both of those are important features of the GL1800 so I don't fully understand why they do that....

Good luck on your search and WELCOME to the three wheel world!!!

My previous trike was a 97 Valkyrie with a MotorTrike conversion which I had absolutely no issues with at all. That being said, I always was looking at and researching the other trike conversion offerings as I'm sure many of us do as well. Although I'm confident that all of the top contenders are excellent units, I'll be looking for a Roadsmith conversion when and if a new trike is in the cards. As was mentioned previously, the Roadsmith has a longer wheelbase which should result in a smoother and more comfortable ride. I also believe that Roadsmith has been in the trike conversion business the longest and I've never seen any negative comments regarding their customer service nor have I seen anyone who owns a Roadsmith saying any thing negative about them. They all seem to love the unit and comment on the exceptionally comfortable ride. I've sent RS a few questions via e-mail and have had responses on the same or the following day.

Hope this helps in your decision and welcome to TrikeTalk! ThumbUp

I have the Roadsmith and love it. I would recommend a post-2006 model Wing as several improvements were made that year. In January 2011 I found an '06 with 6300 miles on it at a good price. So far, (knock on wood) the bike has performed flawlessly.

Roadsmith and Hannigan, IMO, from what I've read are probably two of the smoothest riding trikes. The others are probably better in the tight curves but I opted for what I considered to be the best "touring" trike.

Whatever your choice, I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Roadsmith and Hannigan have similar width and length, and it is several inches wider and longer than most of the other kits. BOTH offer an exceptional ride and are exceptional quality of kit. I don't think you would go wrong with either one :)

A seeminly minor thing - I would have them install a belly pan as they are doing the conversion. The 1800 has a few parts down low that can get damaged by rocks and such and the belly pan protects these. There is a thread about this, and the consensus seems to be it is easier to install the pan while other parts are off, espcially if you opt for running boards.

Factory kit options are easier to install while putting the kit on rather than waiting and trying to do it later. Example would be a hitch - they can be installed anytime, but it is easier and cheaper to put them on and wire before the body goes on.

Some great comments and they are all appreciated. The belly pan isn't something that I had even given any thought to. Although I will certainly be asking about it now.

I have studied them all and the Roadsmith is one of the tops. Unfortunately, my trike is not a Roadsmith. You will also enjoy the independent wheel suspension on the rear. You may want to think about getting some of the grey plastic components painted when the trike body gets painted (should not add a lot to the cost but will make your trike a little different from the rest). Such as, the frame around the running lights below and the covers on the side kick plate area as well as the lower cover under the bike that runs from front to rear on each side. Good luck and enjoy this exciting time in your life my friend.

Here's another vote for the Roadsmith! Just recently got back from a 5,300 mile trip through thirteen western states in 14 days. The Roadsmith and my 2006 GL1800 were sheer comfort through wind, hail, snow, mud and a mini-tornado.

You will appreciate the huge trunk opening and the BUILT-IN trailer hitch. I opted for the auxiliary gas tank (an additional 5 gallons) and was glad I did on some of those very lonely desert roads where you can ride for hours and never see another human being.

A. Example would be a hitch - they can be installed anytime, but it is easier and cheaper to put them on and wire before the body goes on.

Just a note that on the Roadsmith a hitch is STANDARD equipment, not an add on. I've been "converted" for about 9 weeks (3k miles thus far-would've been more but the heat has been EXTREME here). Love the 'Smith and wish I'd done it years ago!!!

Man, that's a lot of food for thought. But, after a lot of mulling it over and a TON of phone calls to various dealers and private owners, I believe that I'll be going with the Hannigan conversion. Just seems to me that, for the type of riding I want to do, Hannigan is the logical choice. Also, another HUGE part of the decision is that my better half likes the way those look a lot better than the others. And we ALL know that if the passenger isn't happy, then the driver won't be either.

Any suggestions as to "extras" that I should look into before picking it up? Things that should be installed at the dealer?

In April I bought a 2006 GL with a Hannigan kit after doing much research on this board and others. After riding 5k miles since purchase, I can say it has to be the the best trike kit out there. It is the widest at 62" and if I remember correctly the longest of all of the kits. just its wide stance, IDS, sway bar and gas shocks gives you a outstanding comfortable ride. Also the inline drive shaft is in the original position, which decreases the likely hood of any problems with the universals down the road. Like the Roadsmith, the Hannigan has weight supporting Aqua boards. Personally I would not have a trike without the Aqua Boards, Roadsmith would have been my second choice.

Ride Safe

In April I bought a 2006 GL with a Hannigan kit after doing much research on this board and others. After riding 5k miles since purchase, I can say it has to be the the best trike kit out there. It is the widest at 62" and if I remember correctly the longest of all of the kits. just its wide stance, IDS, sway bar and gas shocks gives you a outstanding comfortable ride. Also the inline drive shaft is in the original position, which decreases the likely hood of any problems with the universals down the road. Like the Roadsmith, the Hannigan has weight supporting Aqua boards. Personally I would not have a trike without the Aqua Boards, Roadsmith would have been my second choice.

Ride Safe

Roadsmith was my second choice as well. And I really like the idea of the aqua boards. Do those do a good job of protecting you in the rain and on wet roads??

As long as we're talking about extras, here's my list that I've found make riding the trike much more comfortable:

1. Full set of Baker air wings including the "trike" wings. They dramatic reduce the air turbulence on the passenger and allow you to control the air flow around the entire cockpit.

2. Aux. fuel tank if available on the Hannigan.

3. RS has auto level rear suspension which I find indispensable as it automatically adjust for changes in weight due to co-rider, fuel, load.

4. Be sure you have a lug socket that will fit. I needed a narrow socket to reach into the lug nut.

5. Bt-45 or MPA front tire. I had MPA first and now have BT-45. So far I like the BT-45 better. In the Arkansas twisties trikes only manage around 11k-13k miles before we scrub the tread off. Flatlanders get much higher mileage.

Good luck. I am sure you will enjoy your Hannigan. Just be sure to chose a top notch installer as they make all the difference. Ask me how I know.

Ah....time for the motorcycle tax - all the little stuff to make it more suited to you and uniquely yours. We have things like the intercom, highway pegs, different grips, package rack, extra safety chrome, Gloria is planning to have pinstriping put on, different windshield and all the other little stuff that gets added over time. Don't have to get it all at once, but you'll see some farkle and have to have it.
Remember that most insurance covers the bike as it came from the factory, and anything else is accessories, usually under additional coverage. When we got our '04 last October I went through with catalogs and priced all the added stuff the PO's put on. Not including the trike kit itself, I came up with $4300 in accessories, and we have added some to that. We have $17,000 in accessory or customization coverage, and I am thinking we may need more as we add stuff.

Remember that most insurance covers the bike as it came from the factory, and anything else is accessories, usually under additional coverage. When we got our '04 last October I went through with catalogs and priced all the added stuff the PO's put on. Not including the trike kit itself, I came up with $4300 in accessories, and we have added some to that. We have $17,000 in accessory or customization coverage, and I am thinking we may need more as we add stuff.

Yes, I am fast finding out about the insurance thing. Shouldn't be too hard though. My agent said that as soon as I get it to bring it down and they will write a policy.

What catalogs were you looking at? I haven't been able to locate any trike specific ones. Although I do have the metric Dennis Kirk.

Not hard to get insurance, just make sure you get enough. Some accessory policies can not only cover the stuff on the trike, but things like helmets, jacket even trailers and contents when with the trike. And, some insurance accessory coverage is full replacement cost.

There isn't much in the way of trike specific items from the aftermarket. A very few things can be fitted or adapted to the trike body, but unless it comes from the conversion kit maker most things added are the same as for 2-wheelers. The catalogs I used were Add On, Big Bike Parts and the Goldwing version of the Kuryakyn book. My favorite local Honda shop was happy to give me the catalogs. I get quite a bit on line (Support your friendly TT sponsors!) but I make a point to occasionally buy from my local shop. The extra few dollars it can cost (my shop has a discount program for regular customers) is well worth it to foster a good relationship it your local shop.

Roadsmith was my second choice as well. And I really like the idea of the aqua boards. Do those do a good job of protecting you in the rain and on wet roads??

Definitely keep the rain from coming up from under bike to you. Secondly, if your foot slips off the peg at least your foot not going hit the road or worst yet slide under the back tire! Can change your feet position and put on the floor boards to give your self another position for your feet while cruising straight a ways. Like the Roadsmith Aqua boards the Hannigan is weight bearing, so you don't have the problem of breaking them off. I weight 250lbs and they support my weight with no problems. Hope this helps

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back