New to the group would love some info.

Lyn,
All of those are great kits....It truly is going to come down to which pros/cons are most important to you personally.
For me, the Champion offered the best quality for the price, the best style for my taste, and they make the EZ steer and the reverse I liked the best. I also made some calls to get questions answered, and the guys at Champion were incredibly helpful and good to talk to, taking the time to be sure I had the information I needed. Ultimately they were my choice and I have had no regrets. But not because they were "better"; but because they best met what I was looking for.

Lynn: Hopefully, your husbands friend can steer you in right direction. Your dealing with differant types of suspensions on the models you mentioned. I had narrowed my choice down to a Champion or Hannigan. I also liked the DFT, but my wife wanted to retain our tourpack. I have been looking at the Hannigan for about four years but there was no dealer in the area, every other mfg. had a dlr. within 60 miles radius. I had narrowed it down to Champion, But I got a call from Hannigan and they had a dlr that would work with me. Hannigan has a independant suspension, and I LOVE IT. It's a joy to ride... you guys have a tough decision to make. I'm sure everyone on this board will try to help you out, cause their a fine group....I'm of to Americade.

Lyn,
All of those are great kits....It truly is going to come down to which pros/cons are most important to you personally.
For me, the Champion offered the best quality for the price, the best style for my taste, and they make the EZ steer and the reverse I liked the best. I also made some calls to get questions answered, and the guys at Champion were incredibly helpful and good to talk to, taking the time to be sure I had the information I needed. Ultimately they were my choice and I have had no regrets. But not because they were "better"; but because they best met what I was looking for.

Thanks Nana
Yesterday I thought I was just going to buy a new 2010 now today I am looking at different trike kits. I love my Street Glide and was a little bummed
I was going to see someone else riding him. But now I will continue enjoying
riding him he will just be a different type of ride that I know I am going to love.
This is such a wonderful group...

Lynn: Hopefully, your husbands friend can steer you in right direction. Your dealing with differant types of suspensions on the models you mentioned. I had narrowed my choice down to a Champion or Hannigan. I also liked the DFT, but my wife wanted to retain our tourpack. I have been looking at the Hannigan for about four years but there was no dealer in the area, every other mfg. had a dlr. within 60 miles radius. I had narrowed it down to Champion, But I got a call from Hannigan and they had a dlr that would work with me. Hannigan has a independant suspension, and I LOVE IT. It's a joy to ride... you guys have a tough decision to make. I'm sure everyone on this board will try to help you out, cause their a fine group....I'm of to Americade.

Thanks Tis,
Ya my husband has known Doug for 35 yrs I think he will steer us in the right direction if we end up going with one of the four that he installs. Thanks for the info. Have a wonderful time at the Americade....

Robandlyn:yes:: If you are going to convert your Harley...try MotorTrike conversions out of the factory at Troup Texas..If not just get yourself a new Stallion trike. It is fantastic. We Just traded our HD 2008 Ultra Classic for our 2009 Stallion trike after over 50 plus years of riding 2 wheels. Charlie D.

Lynn, Great choice to convert. The paint on your SG is very nice and with all you put in it, it only makes sense. I chose Champion because I built it myself. They had the best instructions and like Nana says were very easy to deal with. After that it becomes what you like looks wise and what feels better for you when you ride it. Take advantage of the friend with the shop and see if they can let you do some test riding. Decide what rides best for you then what you like best in the looks department. You will find some of us that say Independent suspension is best and others that say straight axle is best. Bottom line is what you like when you ride it. Both types have their pluses and minuses and both get the job done. Good luck and keep us updated. Ted

Robandlyn:yes:: If you are going to convert your Harley...try MotorTrike conversions out of the factory at Troup Texas..If not just get yourself a new Stallion trike. It is fantastic. We Just traded our HD 2008 Ultra Classic for our 2009 Stallion trike after over 50 plus years of riding 2 wheels. Charlie D.

Thanks Charlie,
The Stallion is cool but not the style I am looking for but the Motor Trike we have been looking at.

Lynn, Great choice to convert. The paint on your SG is very nice and with all you put in it, it only makes sense. I chose Champion because I built it myself. They had the best instructions and like Nana says were very easy to deal with. After that it becomes what you like looks wise and what feels better for you when you ride it. Take advantage of the friend with the shop and see if they can let you do some test riding. Decide what rides best for you then what you like best in the looks department. You will find some of us that say Independent suspension is best and others that say straight axle is best. Bottom line is what you like when you ride it. Both types have their pluses and minuses and both get the job done. Good luck and keep us updated. Ted

Thanks Ted,
My husband was checking out Champion last night and he said they have just come out with Independent suspension this yr. I think that was one of the places he was calling today. I will keep everyone updated on what we decide. The color on my Street Glide is Black Cherry it is a very nice color...

Lynn, I think you'll be happy with keeping your SG and all of the extra's you've already paid for. One thing I had to do was add a tour pac. The loss of the saddlebags is not made up by the trunk, so a tour pac is a needed option, especially with an M/T kit. I found one on ebay and painted it. Another thing is that the M/T comes with new air bags and coil-over shocks. If you go Champion, it uses the factory shocks. However, NOT the SG shocks, as they are lowered pieces, so you'll have to shell out for a set of standard touring shocks too. Most of us are selling the bags, rear tire/wheel and other stuff on ebay to offset costs. When I did mine I got the Champion reverse kit as well. I love to whip into parking lots, grab reverse and back in under power rather than duck walk it. LOL
Good Luck with whatever you choose...

Lynn, I think you'll be happy with keeping your SG and all of the extra's you've already paid for. One thing I had to do was add a tour pac.

I told her that last night :D
Sell the bags and buy a chopped tour pac !
She is already planning to hit one of the 15% off discount days next week
at one of our local NH HD dealers. I also already have the mounting brackets
for the Tour pak because I have a 07 Ultra and did the quick release setup
and have the extra parts they took off.
Talked to my buddy today and he said he would not try the new Champion
independent suspension just yet. So it looks like the Roadsmith might be the
one we will try. I sort of like the way reverse is done via a separate high
torque electric motor. This way there is no reason to fool with the Harley
transmission.
Rob .....

Rob, there ya go! In MHO, electric reverse is not the way to go. The champion reverse for the 6-speeds is slick. Shift to neutral, pull in the clutch, reach down with right hand, shift the extra handle to reverse, add some throttle, ease out the clutch, and back up just like a stick shift car, way cooler than a whining electric motor......
Did you look at the M/T FLH Trog kits?
Oh, here's a link to Zanotti HD. 20% off everyday!
https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/partLookUp.html

Last edited:
Lynn and Rob,

I also would suggest the Champion Reverse. Most of the research I've done points to the electric reverse as being problematic. Those that seem to be in the know say pay the couple of hundred extra and go with the mechanical reverse. I personally do not have reverse. I preplan my parking and when I have to it backs up easy as long as you are not going up hill backwards or on rocks, thus the preplanning. When the time comes and I can afford it that's the way I plan on going.

Ted

Have the electric reverse. It is really easy for me and don't have to pull in clutch, etc.
I don't care if it whines, it gets me where I need to be. That is what counts for me.

Does the shop have a website? I'm looking around for ideas for my next trike. ;)

His Trike building shop in Keene,NH has only been open one year.
So really does not have a web site showing anything much yet.
He does have a web site for his other shop he has been at for
40 years. He was doing trike conversions (partnered with another
guy) at his other shop. I'll see if i can get some pictures at his new
place next time we go there.
He actually had a Suzuki Volusia triked (I think that was the model).
Here is what he has for a link so far.
Rob .....

http://americantrikesandmotorsports.com/

Last edited:
We have the Roadsmith on our 2008 1800 Goldwing. We got it in Nov 08 & love it. No problems at all & the ride is very smooth. We went with the Roadsmith because of the smooth ride & the very large trunk. Great for shopping trips. I don't think you will regret it if you go with Roadsmith.

Ironhorse, No offense intended, as most (if not all) TG's are coming with the electric reverse, I'd keep it too.

Oh, I didn't take any offense. I have heard that the electric motor reverse is not all that great, but like I said.....it works to get me where I need to go. And yes, it is whinny:yes::yes::yes:

His Trike building shop in Keene,NH has only been open one year.
So really does not have a web site showing anything much yet.
He does have a web site for his other shop he has been at for
40 years. He was doing trike conversions (partnered with another
guy) at his other shop. I'll see if i can get some pictures at his new
place next time we go there.
He actually had a Suzuki Volusia triked (I think that was the model).
Here is what he has for a link so far.
Rob .....

http://americantrikesandmotorsports.com/
OK! I know who that is - I actually spoke to him at the Springfield MC show a couple of months ago. Found out my "Extended Warranty" is USELESS, thanks to our conversation!!! :mad: So now I'm waiting for my dealer to return my money. When you talk to your friend, tell him I said Thanks!!! I never would have known if he hadn't told me.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back