New member, old rider, now on 2017 TriGlide

cawfeeguy1

5+ Posts
Nov 27, 2023
Van Nuys, Ca, USA
Hi everyone. Can someone explain to me why some Harley dealers penalize people for buying aftermarket parts and paying them a pretty penny to have them installed? I bought a new set of Legend Revo A shocks and lift brackets and wanted the sag adjusted because they never adjusted them when I originally had them installed by them. My dealer wanted 1 hr labor charge @ $189.00/hr. Had they been Harley shocks there would be no charge! Unfortunately I’m not a mechanic or have a lift and tools like a lot of you. Thanks.

Hi everyone. Can someone explain to me why some Harley dealers penalize people for buying aftermarket parts and paying them a pretty penny to have them installed? I bought a new set of Legend Revo A shocks and lift brackets and wanted the sag adjusted because they never adjusted them when I originally had them installed by them. My dealer wanted 1 hr labor charge @ $189.00/hr. Had they been Harley shocks there would be no charge! Unfortunately I’m not a mechanic or have a lift and tools like a lot of you. Thanks.

Welcome to TrikeTalk.

It is a little difficult to answer your question without a bit more details.

So, you purchased aftermarket shocks - curious, did you purchase them through the dealership or simply buy them and have the dealer install them?

Also, how long ago was this done - if recently, I find it hard to believe that the dealer would try to charge you if they were not properly adjusted.

So, let me add a bit about my dealership. I try to purchase my items through them, they can also secure some aftermarket items. On my 2014, I got aftermarket (Progressive) shocks - the dealer got them for me and installed them. When I felt something was wrong, I took them back to the dealer, they checked them and ordered a new set - no charge for any of this.

Recently I wanted a specific trike tire - the dealer could not get it. So, he told me if I could find it, he would install it. We did just that.

So, my point is - I don't think all dealers charge to make adjustments on aftermarket parts when they would adjust a Harley part (one out of warranty) for free.

Welcome to Trike Talk, sorry to hear problems like this from your local dealer

Have you had a conversation with the manager?

Some dealers do not install non HD parts while others do

Jason. Welcome to Trike Talk….👍👍…. Not all Harley dealers are that way, but being the devils advocate they are running a business and part of the business is selling Harley parts…But if they installed the parts then they should of given you a-brake on the adjustment?.. in the future. Choose your dealers wisely.!

Welcome to TrikeTalk.

It is a little difficult to answer your question without a bit more details.

So, you purchased aftermarket shocks - curious, did you purchase them through the dealership or simply buy them and have the dealer install them?

Also, how long ago was this done - if recently, I find it hard to believe that the dealer would try to charge you if they were not properly adjusted.

So, let me add a bit about my dealership. I try to purchase my items through them, they can also secure some aftermarket items. On my 2014, I got aftermarket (Progressive) shocks - the dealer got them for me and installed them. When I felt something was wrong, I took them back to the dealer, they checked them and ordered a new set - no charge for any of this.

Recently I wanted a specific trike tire - the dealer could not get it. So, he told me if I could find it, he would install it. We did just that.

So, my point is - I don't think all dealers charge to make adjustments on aftermarket parts when they would adjust a Harley part (one out of warranty) for free.

Hi cycle 7447,

Ordered and Bought the legend Revo A’s and lifts from Glendale Harley in California. Had them also install them along with new handlebars. The instructions that came with the shocks directed whoever was doing the install to make the necessary adjustments before putting the wheels back on. When I asked about that, the tech said to ride it for awhile and if adjustments need to be made, bring it in and they would adjust it.

Well, I waited about 6 mo because I hadn’t ridden the trike much after some leg surgery. When I went back this past weekend that’s the answer I received. I kinda figured that since I had previously spent around $2,000 in labor charges at the dealership, the least they could do was adjust what I bought through them and had them install. I also realize that there are many Harley dealers out there that don’t take their customers for granted and actually give great customer service.

Glendale Harley Davidson has been around for years and used to host the famous yearly Love Ride for muscular dystrophy. I guess just like the motor company themselves, customer service fluctuates depending on the dealerships. I envy all of you that have a great customer service oriented dealer and service Dept. Thank you

Hi cycle 7447,

Ordered and Bought the legend Revo A’s and lifts from Glendale Harley in California. Had them also install them along with new handlebars. The instructions that came with the shocks directed whoever was doing the install to make the necessary adjustments before putting the wheels back on. When I asked about that, the tech said to ride it for awhile and if adjustments need to be made, bring it in and they would adjust it. Well, I waited about 6 mo because I hadn’t ridden the trike much after some leg surgery. When I went back this past weekend that’s the answer I received. I kinda figured that since I had previously spent around $2,000 in labor charges at the dealership, the least they could do was adjust what I bought through them and had them install. I also realize that there are many Harley dealers out there that don’t take their customers for granted and actually give great customer service. Glendale Harley Davidson has been around for years and used to host the famous yearly Love Ride for muscular dystrophy. I guess just like the motor company themselves, customer service fluctuates depending on the dealerships. I envy all of you that have a great customer service oriented dealer and service Dept. Thank you

Maybe you should’ve said from the beginning that you purchased the parts from that dealership ! then they should’ve readjusted it for nothing but like I said, should’ve said it from the beginning?

I wanna thank everyone for their input. I guess I was just venting my frustrations. I guess I thought I was living in the old days for a minute. Thanks guys

That’s ok…..I can’t tell you how many times I vented about my frustrations..

And about living in the old days my kids and grandkids claim I am! And I told them I really do miss those old days you guys will never know what you missed..☹️..

Hi cycle 7447,

Ordered and Bought the legend Revo A’s and lifts from Glendale Harley in California. Had them also install them along with new handlebars. The instructions that came with the shocks directed whoever was doing the install to make the necessary adjustments before putting the wheels back on. When I asked about that, the tech said to ride it for awhile and if adjustments need to be made, bring it in and they would adjust it. Well, I waited about 6 mo because I hadn’t ridden the trike much after some leg surgery. When I went back this past weekend that’s the answer I received. I kinda figured that since I had previously spent around $2,000 in labor charges at the dealership, the least they could do was adjust what I bought through them and had them install. I also realize that there are many Harley dealers out there that don’t take their customers for granted and actually give great customer service. Glendale Harley Davidson has been around for years and used to host the famous yearly Love Ride for muscular dystrophy. I guess just like the motor company themselves, customer service fluctuates depending on the dealerships. I envy all of you that have a great customer service oriented dealer and service Dept. Thank you

I might suggest that you talk to both the service manage and the general manage (or owner). Show them how many miles were on the unit when they installed the parts vs what you have on it now.

Also, let them know what you were told when you had them do the install. I believe such might render a different solution.

Good luck

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom Wallen
Back