New Member Intro

Jun 10, 2024
Dripping Springs, TX
Name
Lewis
Hey y'all,
69 Y/O Freewheeler rider. Proud Grandad of 8. Been riding for over 60 years and still keepin my knees in the wind as much as possible. I do have a little basic knowledge about Harleys, but this is my first Twin Cam and I'm as green as an Army Tank about all the electronics and sensors. I welcome any and all tips, advice, and experienced rider's comments.

I have an ECM issue with my Harley. It's got around 78,000 miles and has recently started showing the oil light while riding. It has gotten progressively worse to the point of hardly running enough to pull back into the shop this morning.

I've reset it several times, and even repaired a broken wire from the oil pressure switch and replaced the oil pressure sensor. Still have the light come on when starting. The cruise control light also comes on intermittently when I turn on the key. About to scratch a bald spot in my head trying to figure this one out..
Help an old man fix his scoot will ya?

SaveShare

I'm sure this new member appreciates the greetings, but no one acknowledged his question or offered any help and that is a big part of why forums like ours exist. I reposted his question in the Freewheeler Forum adding the appropriate header and all of us staff members have the tools to do the same, so thanks in advance for helping with this when a new member posts a similar question.

Hey y'all,
69 Y/O Freewheeler rider. Proud Grandad of 8. Been riding for over 60 years and still keepin my knees in the wind as much as possible. I do have a little basic knowledge about Harleys, but this is my first Twin Cam and I'm as green as an Army Tank about all the electronics and sensors. I welcome any and all tips, advice, and experienced rider's comments.

I have an ECM issue with my Harley. It's got around 78,000 miles and has recently started showing the oil light while riding. It has gotten progressively worse to the point of hardly running enough to pull back into the shop this morning.
I've reset it several times, and even repaired a broken wire from the oil pressure switch and replaced the oil pressure sensor. Still have the light come on when starting. The cruise control light also comes on intermittently when I turn on the key. About to scratch a bald spot in my head trying to figure this one out..
Help an old man fix his scoot will ya?

SaveShare
Battery going bad? Loose connection at the ECM? The ECM's themselves are very reliable, I'm told, but numerous things connected to it can rattle loose, develop a bad ground or simply fail. Did the previous owner have this issue? Has it thrown a code and if it did have you read and researched it? Other than that, it might be best to bring it to a reliable shop who can run diagnostics on it.

Hi Lewis and Welcome to Trike Talk
You can scan your ECM for DTC have a look here

After you scan it write down the codes and the part numbers to post here for more help and good luck

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNT
Back