New from Washington State

I just discovered this site, and have found some great information and discussions already. Thank you!!

I hadn't ridden a motorcycle since the late 60's, so getting a new trike is a huge step for me. I got my 2 wheel endorsement last October, and my 3 wheel endorsement in January. I also demo'd a GL 1800/Champion trike in November. That was the extent of my recent riding experience - not much!

I purchased a 2008 GL 1800 with a 2013 Roadsmith trike kit in January. I bought it on the 2nd of January, but didn't get it until about 2 1/2 weeks ago, because of weather issues all across the country. It snowed the night that it showed up, so no riding for a couple of days. The first time I took it out, I was totally intimidated! But now, after a couple of hundred miles, and 5-6 rides, I am getting much more comfortable with it.

The weather is getting much better here, and I expect to be doing a lot more riding. It took me about 4 years of working on my wife, to get her to agree to even getting a motorcycle. She says she is going to ride with me, which would be great! It is something we can do together, and she can always keep up! :D

I look forward to being a member here.

Welcome from just up the road from you, in Lynden. I just signed on the other day as well, and have yet to ride my trike since it's still being built.
Maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime when the weather gets better!

~ Keith

Welcome from just up the road from you, in Lynden. I just signed on the other day as well, and have yet to ride my trike since it's still being built.
Maybe we can hook up for a ride sometime when the weather gets better!

~ Keith

Keith,

I would like to do that. My wife and I both went to Western, so we are very familiar with your neck of the woods. We do definitely plan plan on riding up there, so it would be fun to hook up.

What kind of trike are you putting together? Tell 'em to hurry, the weather is getting better! Right now it is sunny and low 50's.

Although you are probably going to get frozen out this weekend. My wife is supposed to go to a wedding shower for a niece on Lake Whatcom on Sunday She is very nervous about the snow forecast for up there this weekend. We are on the very south tip of Whidbey Island. Not exactly the banana belt, but warmer than Bellingham/Lynden!

Tim

My 2007 HD Ultra is being converted to a Hannigan. It might not be ready until mid-April, it is still in transit to Georgia, then build, then shipped back.

I am maybe going to the 3-wheel class next weekend in Seattle, but am not looking forward to it. Seems like a long time in class to get a certificate. Please tell me (or lie) that it was worth it!

I actually work in Bellingham, so if you're riding through, we'll have to get a coffee.

Keith

My 2007 HD Ultra is being converted to a Hannigan. It might not be ready until mid-April, it is still in transit to Georgia, then build, then shipped back.

I am maybe going to the 3-wheel class next weekend in Seattle, but am not looking forward to it. Seems like a long time in class to get a certificate. Please tell me (or lie) that it was worth it!

I actually work in Bellingham, so if you're riding through, we'll have to get a coffee.

Keith

Keith,

Everything I read, you are going to be really happy with he Hannigan. I couldn't find a low mileage used one, so went with the Roadsmith, which I expect to be very happy with. I have read nothing but good reviews on them also. Time will tell.

I think the class is definetly worth it. I never heard anybody that was in it even insinuate that it was not worthwhile. Including some very long time bike riders. It is a totally different ride and set of conditions for a trike, versus the bike, as I am sure you know. A fair number of bike riders complain about the transition to 3 wheels. I haven't had any problem myself. But that is mostly because I haven't ridden a bike in nearly a half a century(gulp!), and I have an ATV that I use on our property quite a bit, so the steering wasn't an issue.

We'll have to get together this spring/summer.

Hello 34 and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. Congratulations on on getting your new ride and after so many years getting back into the wind. I highly recommend that you take a trike refresher course, some are put on by community college, or you can find more information through online sites. Also you can practice in an empty parking lot with two traffic cones. This has been discussed many times here, but if you need more info let me know.

Hello 34 and welcome to the website from the U.P. of Michigan. Congratulations on on getting your new ride and after so many years getting back into the wind. I highly recommend that you take a trike refresher course, some are put on by community college, or you can find more information through online sites. Also you can practice in an empty parking lot with two traffic cones. This has been discussed many times here, but if you need more info let me know.

Hi, bustedwing. Thank you for your suggestions. I actually took the 2-wheel BRC in October, and then took the 3 wheel class in January, while I was waiting for my trike to show up. In Washington state, you are required to have a 2 wheel endorsement for a bike and a 3 wheel endorsement for a trike. You can get this by taking and passing the class, or going directly to DOL and passing the written and driving portions. Obviously, with no 3 wheel experience, I opted for the class! :laugh: I actually took both classes, just to get more training and exposure to riding.

Your suggestions about practicing in an empty parking lot is excellent, and I plan to do that.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back