Need suggestions for a new Helmet

I think that for as many helmets there are, you will get that many replies. I have a collection of helmets but this is the one I wear all the time:

AFX FX-100 Multi Helmet - RevZilla

This one has a design on it but mine is solid blue with a little silver. It matches my ride. :)

I like it because it fits but isn't too tight. It has GREAT air flow through it. Some helmets are too stuffy for me but I can really breathe in this one. I also love the flip down sun visor on the inside. I have another visor I like but the sun shield is on the outside and doesn't stay put if I want it up, the wind catches it, etc. I also like the quick release for the chin strap. The thing about helmets is that they make them for different head shapes.

I have an oval shaped head.

Hope this is helpful.

MarciaG :)

MarciaG, thanks for the reply. I see that you are wearing a full face helmet with also a

windshield on the trike. I do have a full face that I wear when on 2 wheels. It has

plenty of air circulation and is a good fit. My husband thinks that I will get too hot

in it with the windshield. Maybe he thinks full face helmets look funny when driving a

trike. LOL

Both spouse and I wear a Shoei RF-1100. I selected the RF-1100 for a couple reasons. It is the lightest of the full- face, it provides the best protection, and it provides the the sound- proofing so our sound system works well. We are about to find out just how hot it can get. We are headed to Ft Wayne Sunday morning. It's going to be hot and steamy.

I have gone thru a battery of helmets thru the years. Mostly full face Shoei & Arai, some Nolan & a couple of HJCs. About a year ago I discovered SHARK "Evoline 3". IMHO, the best helmet for a trike. It is a flip-up, with a difference...it doesn't flip up & then sit on top of yr head like a great big wobbly air-brake. It flips right over to the back of your helmet. Streamlined! Which then makes it an open face, easy to talk to the guy at the gas station, or even sip a drink thru. And it has a slide down sun-shield, which is mighty convenient instead of fumbling around with sun-glasses. I have installed IMC speakers in them cause those speakers are slim & I dont care for my ears being roughed up with plush J & M speakers.

Wifey also switched to Shark Evoline as she is kindda claustrophic. She likes the fact that she can flip the chin bar down when needed.

:( oopps sorry for rambling on so!

I agree with Ghalib ! By the way Hi Ghalib :wave4:

I have been using the Sharl Evoline for a couple of years now and it is the best halmet I have ever had !

The ability to flip the chin bar over to the back is great because it is not in the wind so you don't feel like your head is being blown back.

This shows it closed

41PiF6GJr9L_SS400_.jpg

Here it is open

shark-evoline-open.jpg

Thanks for your replies and also for detailing what it is you like about your personal helmet. Thanks for all the links, will check them out. Glad that we all have options

available for us. I feel more comfortable wearing a full face anytime I am on 2 or 3

wheels. Anyone else feel the same?

At the MSF class I recently took, they showed the "after" photo after a guy was in an accident and slid on his face. His full face helmet kept him from having his teeth replaced, nose job, etc. I realize we are on 3 wheels but if we get in a wreck, I like our odds a whole lot better with the most protection possible. I wear all the gear, all the time.

MarciaG :)

I wear a Schuberth C3 modular helmet. Yes, it was expensive. (I purchased from Revzilla.) However, I have major neck issues and needed a light weight helmet. I purchased the stickers on the internet and put them on myself.

I went to a trade show over the winter and tried on so many helmets that my face was chaffed. Try on as many as you can find. Go with the one that works best for you and your style of riding. Purchase from someone who will let you return it if it doesn't work for you. Remember that it is like buying shoes...if the helmet doesn't feel good when you put it on, it won't get any better after you get it home!

That is just my 2 cents...how it helps. Ride safe.

I wear a Schuberth C3 modular helmet. Yes, it was expensive. (I purchased from Revzilla.) However, I have major neck issues and needed a light weight helmet. I purchased the stickers on the internet and put them on myself.

I went to a trade show over the winter and tried on so many helmets that my face was chaffed. Try on as many as you can find. Go with the one that works best for you and your style of riding. Purchase from someone who will let you return it if it doesn't work for you. Remember that it is like buying shoes...if the helmet doesn't feel good when you put it on, it won't get any better after you get it home!

That is just my 2 cents...how it helps. Ride safe.

I have a friend who covets a Schuberth C3! I read about it. Looks fabulous....out of my price range though. I notice, yours matches your trike. Very stylish!

MarciaG :wave4:

I just can't put a price on safety..or comfort for that matter. I am retired Navy and learned to ride with all the required safety gear. I too wear all the gear every time I get on the bike. I put the reflective decals on my white helmet because I ride into work in the dark.
I had a brother seriously injured on a "just going up to the gas station" run in shorts and flip flops. A lady didn't see him. He laid it down (had raced some years before) and that saved his life. He was a mess of road rash but he was wearing a helmet which saved his noggin.
I try to learn from others...there is a story behind every product safety label/warning. Most accidents happen close to home where your guard is down.
Be careful, wear your gear...your friends here on trike talk and your family would miss you if the worst happened!
I will get off my soap box now. Ride safe.

I just can't put a price on safety..or comfort for that matter. I am retired Navy and learned to ride with all the required safety gear. I too wear all the gear every time I get on the bike. I put the reflective decals on my white helmet because I ride into work in the dark.
I had a brother seriously injured on a "just going up to the gas station" run in shorts and flip flops. A lady didn't see him. He laid it down (had raced some years before) and that saved his life. He was a mess of road rash but he was wearing a helmet which saved his noggin.
I try to learn from others...there is a story behind every product safety label/warning. Most accidents happen close to home where your guard is down.
Be careful, wear your gear...your friends here on trike talk and your family would miss you if the worst happened!
I will get off my soap box now. Ride safe.

Go Denise Go!!!!

I grew Up in IL like my good friend Denise where a helmet is the law. I moved to CA before they had a helmet law.. and what do you know I wore one any way and it did save my face when a teenager cut across 3 lanes on her way to the beach... I had minor cuts and scrapes because I landed on my head.

My helmet was worn all the way through to the padding as I slide about 30 feet. I hate to think about what could have happened with out one. I always get the best gear for my wife... because I like her! :wave4:

Wow! Thanks for all the good replies to my inquiry. I learned "Wear a full face helmet when driving a trike" for safety's sake. I agree 100% of ATGATT.
I always wear my full face helmet on 2 wheels. I had been wearing a modular while
driving the trike, but I will change that to a full face now. I do need a lighter weight
helmet than what I have and you have given me some great choices.

I have always been taught that most accidents happen within 25 miles of home. I have had
many defensive driver's classes over the years that has helped me so much (past
school bus driver). That info is still with me today, plus I take a class every three
years.

Thanks to all. This is a great forum with great people and I am so glad that I
ran across it. You have been so helpful to me and such an inspiration.

Last edited:
Seahawkfan1765, sharp looking trike and helmet. Makes my black trike look dull:)
Yes, we can learn from others, but it is sad when bad things happen to our loved ones.
Thanks for your great post, should give us pause to think more about our habits and
decisions we make when we start out riding each time. Accidents are most likely to
happen close to home.

Memnoch451, a lesson learned here also. Lucky wife. My husband wonders why I
wear ATGATT, especially in the summer, because it is sooooo hot here. I tell him why.

Shadowrider, Thanks. Bought it used and my middle brother stripped it, upgraded the lighting, and painted it. Memnoch451 gave me a great deal on a reverse kit for it. ThumbUp
Adding an air horn and am working with Robin and Pat at Clark's custom windshields to get the right height windshield. Never realized how much of a difference that can make.

My family thinks that I am NUTS for riding with helmet/mesh jacket when it is 100 degrees and the humidity is 90 percent. I have 5 of the harley mesh jackets. (Had 3 for years from first bike) Of course they are stylish (Marcia G), but more importantly they are functional. I also wear custom ear plugs for any kind of distance riding. I find that I am more focused and enjoy the ride more if I am not so concerned about what is going on with me physically i.e. sunburn, windburn, wind noise, etc.

I love the modular helmets. I don't think they are a bad way to go. One of the other reasons that I purchased the Schuberth C3 model is the ability to upgrade it with the radio collar. Check out the videos of helmets at Revzilla.
I could not wear the Evoline Shark as it was too heavy for me. I really liked the idea of it, but it didn't work for me.

Gleen whatever info you can from us and go with what you find is best for YOU, not your hubby, not your neighbor, YOU! You must feel confident and comfortable in your choice of bike/boots/helmet...all your equipment. It will make you and everyone on the road safer. Ride safe!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JStogner
Back