Need Help!! No Power to Radio, Lights or Starter

I recently performed some upgrades to my bike. Installed new lights, handle bars, speakers and amplifier. After I installed the handle bars and speakers I turned my bike on to check my work and everything worked fine. Installed amp and in the process took out the key switch from the ignition assembly. I stuck a screw driver down the hole to turn the bike on and ended up getting the switch assembly out of alignment. Lights would work but no radio or starter. I ordered new switch assembly thinking I broke the old one. Installed it today now I have no power to lights, radio or starter. Fuses check out, connectors are all plugged in and I am at my wits end am I missing something? It has to be something simple but I can't track it down wanted to ask this forum before I haul it to the shop.

Doubt you actually broke the original switch assembly. Like you said you probably got it out of alignment. I too did that when I changed my handlebars. There are two different 'rings' (for lack of a better description) inside the switch cylinder that must be properly aligned in order for the ignition knob to properly engage and lock itself into the cylinder.

I was able (barely) to see down inside the cylinder with a small flashlight. I pushed a blade type screwdriver down past the top ring so I could turn just the bottom ring by itself and in that way get the two rings back into proper alignment.

Even though you have a new switch I wonder if somehow things are still not properly aligned and when you turn the ignition knob it is not actually turning what it should down inside the assembly.

If everything is properly aligned the ignition knob should fit as before and be locked into the cylinder. I thought several times I had things sorted but the ignition knob was not locked into the cylinder and I could pull it out.

Hope this helps and good luck getting it sorted.

I bought a switch alignment tool and when I received the new one ignition switch visually checked each position. I installed the switch and put the switch in lock position and installed key assembly. Everything with the key switch is aligned correctly. Still not getting power to starter, lights and radio but when I turn the switch on you can hear the fuel pump engage. Its driving me nuts and if I can't figure it out I am going to have to load it on a trailer and have Harley figure it out for me. Thanks for your response and help.

Except for the fact that you can hear the fuel pump energize it almost sounds like a security system issue. If you're fob is not present (or is not recognized) they you get no power like you are experiencing. I just turned my TG on without the fob present and did not get the fuel pump to energize - didn't think I would.

Anyway it might be worth a shot to see if you have and can retrieve any DTCs (diagnostic trouble codes). Here'a link on how to do that:

https://www.lawabidingbiker.com/harleydtc/

I guess anything is possible with these complicated electrical systems and perhaps something is preventing the BCM from turning off the security system.

Finally Figured it Out

Well I traced it down to a direct ground inside the fairing however it took a trip to Harley Davidson to figure out where it was because I was at wits end. It was a pinched wire when I installed the fairing after mounting my Amp I pinched a wire which caused a direct ground.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back