Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Law In New York

Re: Motorcyclist Dies On Ride Protesting Helmet Law In New York

Personally I wear a helmet. However I feel that the wearing of safety gear should be the choice of the user (Children are an exception in my mind). I don't think the government should be legislating the individual safety laws.

Unfortunately for that poor man who died I'd like to give my sympathies to his family.

I have over 30 years in EMS, and my wife is a trauma nurse with over 20 years of experience. As far as head/neck injuries go, riders wearing helmets are way better off than those who do not. However that being said, I still believe that it should be the rider's decision and NOT a law. However they should carry enough insurance to cover the added risks they choose to take. They should also take their family & friends into consideration when making their decision.
My deepest sympathies to his family & friends'

I live in New Jersey where helmets are manditory. Even if they weren't, I would always wear one. I know people who have had their heads destroyed by NOT wearing a helmet. The only complaint I have about wearing helmets is that it messes up my hair. That's it, besides it does get a little warm, but the shields on the helmets plus my shield on my CanAm gives me lots more protection from flying objects. Of course, next door is Philadelphia where I don't think they have ANY laws. You can buy a gun with just a drivers license, no helmets required, and your ex-wife gets up to 40% of your earnings and assets, even if you are only married a couple of years. LOL.

I have spoken to a couple of police officers in both states and asked them why some states say it is okay NOT to wear helmets. He told me that it is better for the Insurance Companies if the riders KILL themselves as compared to paying medical benefits for years and years. Sad to say, he might have a point there. Everything relates back to MONEY and the bottom line.
Gordon

Last edited:

Helmets may be effective for what is intended, helmet laws are not.
Here in Maryland, we are a mandatory state.
If you look at the 5 or 6 years on either side of passing the law, you see some interesting statistics.

Looking at all motorcycle accidents, the death rate increased after the law was put into effect. Statistically, if you were in a motorcycle accident in Maryland, you were more likely to die after they made helmets mandatory (less likely to die when helmets were voluntary).
We see this in many other states as well.
Helmet laws are ineffective at best, and detrimental at worst.

One clear pattern is that motorcycle ridership decreases when a mandatory helmet law is in effect. This causes a very large loss of income for the citizens, in motorcycle and related sales, sales tax, registration fees, and tourism dollars.
When helmet laws are repealed, MC ridership increases.

Trikes are usually not considered in the statistics, but that may change in the future.
More and more trikes every day.

Looking at all motorcycle accidents, the death rate increased after the law was put into effect. Statistically, if you were in a motorcycle accident in Maryland, you were more likely to die after they made helmets mandatory (less likely to die when helmets were voluntary).

I would love to see your source. There is well documented proof that that deaths rose 30% in states that allowed no helmets.

One clear pattern is that motorcycle ridership decreases when a mandatory helmet law is in effect.

Again, I'd love to see your source. I have no issues with someone not wearing a helmet. But the fact is they DO lower the risk of death/head injuries. They DO NOT increase the risk.

I would love to see your source. There is well documented proof that that deaths rose 30% in states that allowed no helmets.

One clear pattern is that motorcycle ridership decreases when a mandatory helmet law is in effect.

Again, I'd love to see your source. I have no issues with someone not wearing a helmet. But the fact is they DO lower the risk of death/head injuries. They DO NOT increase the risk.
Deaths rise, because motorcycle ridership rises.
When helmet laws are repealed, the total deaths rise, because ridership increases.

In the case of Maryland, after the law went into effect (making helmets mandatory), accidents were cut in half.
Common sense tells us two things, first, a law requiring wearing helmets would not in itself reduce accidents. And yet accidents were cut in half.
Common sense would tell us that for accidents to be cut in half, there must be far fewer motorcycle miles driven.

Here is a complete report, the data for Maryland is on page 9.~ ~ ~

Please note that the reason for mandatory laws are statistical in nature.
'Statistics show. . .etc'
STATISTICALLY, just the opposite is true, if you look at relevant data.

My position is that laws are ineffective, and this is demonstrated by statistics that show that the rate of deaths, compared to accidents INCREASE when a madatory law goes into effect.

When data is examined, impartially, and sometime the numbers go up, sometimess down, there is no direct correlation.
There is no cause and effect relationship.

In the big picture I would say that mandatory helmet laws are ineffective, even though I can show specifically cases where the effect is detrimental to motorcycle riders. This is not an anomoly.
The public is hoodwinked into believeing helmet laws are effective, because sources are quoted that only look at the total number of deaths, regardless of motorcycles owned, registered, miles driven, etc.

Last edited:

Texas is almost a no helmet state. The way it reads now is that if you are of age and have gone to the motorcycle safety course and have medical insurance to cover any injuries you may receive in an accident you may ride without a helmet. The kicker that makes it a no helmet state is the police are prohibited from stoping you to check just because you don't have a helmet on.

I have the insurance and have been to the motorcycle safety course. I still wear a helmet every time I climb on my bike. I also try to wear a protective coat, boots and gloves. The wear is so good now it's cooler to ride with a mesh coat on than not. Boots and gloves are automatic with me when I ride.

I feel sorry for the family of the man who was killed. But he knew the risks and it was it right not to ride with a helmet.

keystone

Looking at your post again, I think you made the mistake of confusing helmet use, with laws requiring their use. Two different things.

If you wnat to see more studies that show helmet laws are ineffective, please let me know. They are not hard to find.

No, I did not get anything confused with something else. You may believe your false info if you want to. Helmets are effective. There is nothing from any anti-helmet law group that you can show me that will change that.

No, I did not get anything confused with something else. You may believe your false info if you want to. Helmets are effective. There is nothing from any anti-helmet law group that you can show me that will change that.
Have it your way.
Most of us think there is a difference between a helmet, and a law.

I think it should be left up to the individual, if they have proper insurance so "we" don't have to pick up the bill. This is like the seat belt law. A nanny state law. It should be a free choice and not dictated by some group that "knows best".

I wear a helmet but don't a seat belt. I consider those who chose to go with out, organ donors, which are needed to.

My friend David left a bar in Pensacola and had a very minor accident. He apparently was slightly buzzed, lost his balance and dumped his bike going just 10 MPH. He hit his head on the curb and spent the next 6 months in ICU and a rehab hospital relearning how to eat, talk and walk. He has permanent brain damage and cannot work or care for himself. His family is taking care of him and will from this day forward. This is why I wear a helmet. I dont want my family having to care for me due to my insisting it is my right to not wear a helmet.

Unfortunately Zook there are those that refuse to accept the fact that helmets will lesson the risk of that exact same injury happening.

I wonder when the Feds are going to step in and end this, "some States do", and "some States don't", situation we are in now. If they do it's a pretty safe bet as to how it's going to come out.

The safe bet is the Feds will not dictate to all states.
They tried the back door once (no federal funding for roads if your citizens are free to choose), and that failed in the congress.

If you can't get in the back door, the front door will never open.

In 1967, the federal government required states to enact universal motorcycle helmet laws to qualify for certain highway safety funds. By 1975, all but three had complied. In 1976, Congress revoked federal authority to assess penalties for noncompliance, and states began to weaken helmet laws to apply only to young or novice riders.

I've worn helmets off and on since the sixties, and then at all times after it became the law.
I understand the thinking behind the law, but still feel that it should be the rider's choice.

The problem with it being a law (IMHO) is the precedence it sets when laws like this are passed.
Deadly STDs are becoming more prevalent these days .......... so with the same reasoning .......... that being that most head injuries are both extremely expensive to treat and are statistically experienced in larger numbers by young under-insured riders (legislators words .... not mine) ..... how long before the "pecker police" are commissioned to verify a young, under-insured man is wearing a condom (to avoid contracting AIDS and costing the tax payers to treat him) when engaged in a similarly "exhilarating activity" as riding a bike?

Sounds far fetched eh?
So did 'mandated' helmets ..... up until the the '80's!

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gyl
Back