Just bought a trike

Congratulations on the new arrival, Mingus! I'll bet you are tempted to sleep in the garage tonight :D. I hope your weatherman produces some great riding weather tomorrow!!!!!

So what's the first thing you're going to do to it? I couldn't ride mine the first weekend. Instead I put on a universal throttle lock and an air horn. When I took the seat off to get at the battery, it was a stock seat. Sales guy told me it was a Mustang seat when I was looking. I had been off bikes for 25 years, and the stock seat looked comfy (it isn't) so I didn't know any better. We kicked it around, and he's getting me a Mustang seat below cost (I confirmed that) but it's not in yet.

I was looking for the Honda VTX owners manual. I found it cunningly hidden next to the mini toolkit in the secret locker. You kinda need a manual to find the manual!

If we don't like the Honda seat will likely get the X ultimate lowrider 2 piece (with the studs of course), but will give the stock seat a ride for a while. Also, I like a clock on a bike, Kuryakyn have nice goodies so will look there first.

:D:D:D:D

First ride today – about 20 miles on rural twisties - to get used to a trike and a VTX (it's a lot bigger than all my previous bikes). The trike felt strange at first but I quickly got used to the bumpy road characteristics and the steering. I found open road corners are fun and I’m getting pretty good there. Slow speed turns, like a turn at a stop sign, still seem odd but I’m getting there.

The VTX is way cool but I’m not sure I like the heel & toe shifter. I’ve been able to just use the toe shift (I’ve about 35 years of practice with these). I found myself having to think about shifting with my heel which felt odd. Seems to me that the heel change lever is in the way of the floorboard – maybe I’ll get used to it. Also, the gearing seems rather high but that may be Champion's final drive ratio. These are minor issues, it’s certainly a real nice bike.

You can certainly do things a little different when you don’t have to put your feet down!

However, I think I will ride a few more miles before taking the boss on the back!

This is a one cool looking ride and gets a lot of attention at stops and even in the driveway.

Sounds great.

I'm still trying to get used to that awful feeling when you're accelerating through a stop light left turn, and your front wheel runs over a reflector in the road. Feels like the whole trike is going to tip over.

I've a few more miles now, getting used to the handling and liking the trike a lot. Will be doing some night riding this weekend to see how I like the standard Honda lighting. Lot of deer around these parts can make night riding tricky and good lights a must.

Congrats! Looks awesome! Me and the hubby are just north of you and come down that way a lot on my our way to my hometown. (Peoria) Maybe we can meet up one day and ride together! Have fun!

I've a few more miles now, getting used to the handling and liking the trike a lot. Will be doing some night riding this weekend to see how I like the standard Honda lighting. Lot of deer around these parts can make night riding tricky and good lights a must.

Lots of deer indeed. Last night while at a SCRC meeting one of our members who has a King Airflew it up to our meeting. He had to take it back to home base and a few of us flew down with him. He brought us back in his cage.

Anyway, it was totally dark when he dropped me off where I left my trike. I switched to my yellow glasses for better night vision and drove home. I live on a country road and always ride slower then the speed limit on this rode. Saw a handful of deer along the side, but none came out. Have fog lamps and kept the headlights on bright to give me as much light as I could. Plan to order running lights in addition to what I now have for more illumination.

Just look at my sig photo. This is on my front yard and two deer in the background.

The other photo is a fawn that was born on my front yard this week. Deer are everywhere.

Good luck with your new trike.

Comanche, you mentioned your King Air trip. Its a good idea to fly a low pass over rural airstips around here before a night landing as deer seem to like warmth from the ashfelt runway A deer stike in an airplane will completely ruin your evening!