IRS ve. Live axle trikes

In the VW world, what you're calling a 'live' axle is referred to a swing axle. I have used both IRS and swing axle in builds, and I like the simplicity of the swing axle. I didn't think the ride was any better with either one. Nova Trikes and Cyclestyle both used swing axle in their designs. You see the IRS more on 'old school' trikes with the fiberglass bodies, but they were built with swing axles too. IRS takes a lot more room, so you have a tougher time finding space for the gas tank and battery.

I have a Champion Trike with my Goldwing 1800, for so reason it is riding very rough. My wife complains, and is haveing bladder problems due to rough roads. Had considered the irs, but it soons like I may be wasting money. Open for ideas.

welcome aboard. Try working with your tire pressure to see if that will help. You can go down into the high teens on the pressure if it helps the ride for her.

Here's an interesting twist on the IRS vs Straight axle discussions:
Of more significance to me was the fact the conversions that lengthened the wheel base provided a "nicer" ride, especially for the passenger!

Thank for the suggestion on tire pressure. I know I have the tire pressure at max. So I'll drop it down some. Just had a new front tire replaced and forks overhauled.. I am going to get my wife to use the air hawk as extra cusion.

You can't always pice and choose smooth roads...

Getting ready (Oct 11-15) to ride to Cherokee NC and ride the mountains, want her to be happy.

Thanks

Since bein' "fairly experienced" now in Trike Ridin', I have ridden several Solid Differential Rearends (...even includin' My Wife's), and I still prefer my IRS for handlin', and definetly for Ride Quality. Not suggestin' this for Everyone, but I prefer it. The IRS does need to be dialed in to suit the Rider though, or the Ride can be very dismal.....:wtg:

Thank for the suggestion on tire pressure. I know I have the tire pressure at max. So I'll drop it down some. Just had a new front tire replaced and forks overhauled.. I am going to get my wife to use the air hawk as extra cusion.

You can't always pice and choose smooth roads...

Getting ready (Oct 11-15) to ride to Cherokee NC and ride the mountains, want her to be happy.

Thanks

A suggestion again on the tire pressure. If you were at max then you have identified the issue. Trikes do not weigh near as much as even a small car. For your setup most rides here are suggesting 40 in the front and 18 to 22 in the rear. Start with that (Start at the low figure) and see how your partner likes it.

Looks like the trike MFG are all switching to IRS. Like the Subaru thing . They made an all wheel drive car for 40 years . The first 30 they were laughed at it and now every MFG makes a 4 wheel drive CAR (DITTO on the station wagon )

Looks like the trike MFG are all switching to IRS. Like the Subaru thing . They made an all wheel drive car for 40 years . The first 30 they were laughed at it and now every MFG makes a 4 wheel drive CAR (DITTO on the station wagon )

Gettin' harder to get suitable solid rearends now. Most cars with RWD have gone to IRS also.....:wtg:

Hi everyone,i am new on this site,i have a 2005 Ulta that i had triked at DFT,before making this big leap(been riding two wheels for 50 yrs.)i rented a Tri Glide,it was nice,i then road a 2002 Ultra Leman,it road like a buckboard,my wife noticed it more than myself,we then went to DFT in Addison Ill. and road two Ultras,one w/a 5 deg.rake and one without,what a plessure,smooth over the tracks and expansion joints,(i prefer the 5 Deg.rake(easy on the shoulders)to sum it up i had them do the conversion,note:most of the conversions know offer an IRS.

Welcome to you, wildbill1939! Sounds like you took all the right steps to find the trike that suits you and your wife best. DFT is an excellent choice, and the rake kit is essential, in my opinion! You will love the riding!

Hi everyone,i am new on this site,i have a 2005 Ulta that i had triked at DFT,before making this big leap(been riding two wheels for 50 yrs.)i rented a Tri Glide,it was nice,i then road a 2002 Ultra Leman,it road like a buckboard,my wife noticed it more than myself,we then went to DFT in Addison Ill. and road two Ultras,one w/a 5 deg.rake and one without,what a plessure,smooth over the tracks and expansion joints,(i prefer the 5 Deg.rake(easy on the shoulders)to sum it up i had them do the conversion,note:most of the conversions know offer an IRS.

WELCOME to TRIKE TALK.....Yep, I, too, consider the Rake Kit a necessary tool, not an accessory....Enjoy the Forum....:wtg:

i prefer the 5 Deg.rake

That's good to know, wildbill. I'm doing a Frankenstein on my Deuce, and they recommend 7 degrees. I presently have a Pro One 5 deg triple tree, and will start out with the front end exactly like it is. I personally prefer a bit more trail in a trike for the high speed stability, and I was afraid the 7 deg would be just too close to zero trail for my liking. I don't ride mountain twisties - we don't have any in these parts.

Welcome aboard wildbill. DFT was a great choice. And they are a somewhat local place for you.

i have my Champion (solid axle) tires set at 17 lbs and ride 2 up 99 % of the time. We got a set of ultimate seats shortly after we got this trike----rides great

I have about 2000 mi.on my 05 Ultra DFT,befor converting we rode a number of solid axle Ultra's including the new Tri-Glid,the DFT was much smoother the passenger than the solids over rough roads and rail tracks,they seem to handle the same,better with a rake,Ihave been rideing for 52 years on two wheels the handling of a trike is much different,i have ridden the twisties in the mountians and the smooth flat land roads you have to work harder in the mountauns if you push it and you cannot take you eye's off the road therefore i prefer the flatlands, i'm 72 and still enjoy rideing two wheels therefore i have a second bike for this purpose.i have ridden the new spider touring, different but nice,just my observation.

I have 12.5" wide eagle GT 15" tires on my trike,it is a softtail based frame....right now the tire pressure is around 18-19 lbs......unfortunately the roads in south joisey leave alot to be desired.
I wanted to do the IRS thing,posted a thread about it....got several responses of which I really appreciated but never bought an IRS rear....too damn much money for my limited retirement income to justify:D
I'm back to the same dilemna I started with.
On smooth roads she rides like a charm.......but the straight(DNA)axel will bounce you up and down on the slightest bumps:mad:

I even considered loosing the softtail under the frame shocks and going with an air suspension(1800$)................or eliminating them altogether and mounting a set of 12" shock absorbers like on a swing arm bike.

With my neck and upper back issues I dont ride all that much but it sure would be nice if I could figure out a way to deal with the washboard roads that are so commonplace here in South jersey:innocent::censored:

do you have alot of miles/use on those under the frame shocks ?

Good question JG......I bought 'em used...aint no tellin how many miles are on 'em.

I got the air down to 17 pounds per rear tire,gonna get 'er down the pike tommorrow....see if there's any difference.
Plus.......I put on a steerin stabilizer on 'er tonight.:pepper:

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back