Intake and Exhaust on stock trike

Waiting until having ridden for a while is always a good idea before doing power upgrades.

Many "upgrades" will yield very little in power increase.

However, the M8 can definitely benefit from a proper Stage I upgrade. See chart below.

Stock_v_606_w_Tune_1_.jpg

The power upgrades I would do right away are ones that will increase the longevity of the engine, as well as help it run cooler and stronger.

Here is a LINK to some things you can do that will benefit you and your Trike that are NOT stage I upgrades.

Kevin

Not to hi-jack this thread, but I am wondering if you noticed a sound difference with the SC on the 17 vs the 16. Reason I ask is that the cat is in the head pipe on the 16 and in the mufflers on the 17 (if I understand that correctly). That said, with the SC on the 17, there would be no cat?? I have heard that without the cat, the SC are much louder than with the cat. Your thoughts??

I havent looked in the head pipe but i do believe that the cat is still in the head pipe on the 17.The 16 with a gutted head pipe the SC seemed a bit louder than they do on my 17.If some one knows if the 17 cat is in the head pipe for sure please jump in.

I too have the 18 Anniversary trike. IMO be careful with what you do if you purchased the extra warranty. I made a catless head pipe but wont install it yet because of the warranty concerns. I did however do a pair of street canon mufflers and the DK lift right away. I think the bike runs well, a lot cooler than my 103 Dyna and plenty of power also.

Enjoy the new bike

I too have the 18 Anniversary trike. IMO be careful with what you do if you purchased the extra warranty. I made a catless head pipe but wont install it yet because of the warranty concerns. I did however do a pair of street canon mufflers and the DK lift right away. I think the bike runs well, a lot cooler than my 103 Dyna and plenty of power also.

Enjoy the new bike

What did the dealer say about the mufflers?

did they upload a new map?

Do you have a warranty?

What did the dealer say about the mufflers?

did they upload a new map?

Do you have a warranty?

I do most of my own work, but I did check with the dealer, The mufflers are good to go with no warranty issues, and no map uploads. I purchased the 7 year extended warranty with tire coverage. I was told that if I used my catless headpipe it would void the warranty if I ever had any motor related issues. Also, if you do either a stage 1 A/C or slip on mufflers, no mapping needed. If you do both, it is highly suggested.

Oh, and yes the cat is still in the headpipe. It is just before the cross over.

I do most of my own work, but I did check with the dealer, The mufflers are good to go with no warranty issues, and no map uploads. I purchased the 7 year extended warranty with tire coverage. I was told that if I used my catless headpipe it would void the warranty if I ever had any motor related issues. Also, if you do either a stage 1 A/C or slip on mufflers, no mapping needed. If you do both, it is highly suggested.

Interesting, the Screaming Eagle Catalog says

All models require ECM calibration with Screamin' Eagle Pro Street Tuner for proper installation.

Wonder how they got around that one? HMMMMMMM

I havent looked in the head pipe but i do believe that the cat is still in the head pipe on the 17.The 16 with a gutted head pipe the SC seemed a bit louder than they do on my 17.If some one knows if the 17 cat is in the head pipe for sure please jump in.

OK, thank you guys for the clarification on the new cat location.

I would like to see this in writing just because

The Screaming Eagle catalog is pretty specific about air cleaner and exhaust

You must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit. Failure to properly recalibrate the ECM can result in severe engine damage. (00399b) This is published by HD

I dunno how far they are going to push this since the EPA spanked them pretty hard along with tuners going outside the EPA JMO

I have a 17 and will de cat the header for heat issues, not performance.

i also have a Big Sucker cleaner for later down the road. When that time comes I’ll install the BS air cleaner, mufflers and a tuner.

I would like to see this in writing just because

The Screaming Eagle catalog is pretty specific about air cleaner and exhaust

You must recalibrate the ECM when installing this kit. Failure to properly recalibrate the ECM can result in severe engine damage. (00399b) This is published by HD

I dunno how far they are going to push this since the EPA spanked them pretty hard along with tuners going outside the EPA JMO

What Jack said !

I spoke to a dealer yesterday about changing just the air cleaner assembly (keeping the stock air filter element) to get rid of the big piece of plastic. His explanation was that it can be done without doing any tuning or changing the tuner. He added that there should not be any warranty issues unless the problem came back to that specific part. He said that the Motor CO say what they say is because they want people to do a complete Stage I, not just mufflers or air cleaner assembly. He said that they have had several change out their air cleaner assembly without any issues, but they also prefer the complete Stage I so they stay in line with the mother ship.

I know too that there can be a big difference in money laid out depending on what you do.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Delverc
Back