How long laborwise does the 24K mile checkup take??

Nov 15, 2012
Delray Beach Florida
Im just thinking out loud here.
As my trikes getting close to the 24K mile mark.
Do most of you guys do your own work or let Honda take care of it.
Just checking out the air filter -which has never been looked at -seems to be a heck of a lot of work.
I guess what Im asking is.
Do most of you actually follow the book and do the checkups by the mileage.
Or take care of issues as they pop up??
Now that Im officially out of warranty.
Im capable of tearing the bike apart but just wondering if its worth it for me to do it??
Or let Honda mess with it. And overpay the piper.
Whats the general consensus here??
I put my time and years in with a 99 Valk and a V-Twin the GW isn't.

I changed my air cleaner ( yes PIA ) at 50,000 miles ,looks good but after all the cuts scrapes and 4 letter words I put in a new one...

I had 9 Wings.... 2 of them Triked... Rode them a lot of miles,, never did the "standard" service. There just isn't much to do to a Wing. Regular oil changes plugs every 15-25 K Air filter at 40-50K. Fork seals if leaking....Fork oil at 50k....Replace the battery every three years just so there isn't any problem ......

I do all I can myself. I do not have one,but a friend of mine showed me a trick with a light and a mirror to check the air filter. Unless you ride in dusty conditions more like 30,000 on air filter I would think. Other stuff I mostly go by MAMA HONDA's Suggestions. GOOD LUCK! RIDE SAFE

I ask only because as a used bike.
I have no clue what its life was like in the Austin area of Texas???
I have no clue as to how dirty or dusty it might have been.
My Valk the filter was the original when I got the bike 8+ years old.
I only changed it because I had the tank off.

Ive never had to change an air filter because of dirt and/or grit here in Florida.
Of all my bikes and there has been a lot in 30 years.
Its just been oil changes and tires. A battery every 3 years give or take.
Change the plugs when I felt it was time to.

So I guess your all saying ignore the air filter for the most part.
How about the drool tube?? Do I have to worry about the dreaded Dragon snot with a GoldWing?? If its even got one? I haven't found it yet.
All Ive done in 2 years is change the oil. Grease the drive shaft.
The bike ends been perfect.

I'll trade a little information with you. As far as dust goes in the Austin area, I would say it is probably minimal, unless the previous owner lived on a dirt road. On the Texas plains that could be a big concern but, I wouldn't worry too much about the Austin area (JMO). Even on the plains, when the dust is blowing, most of us are in the truck, not on the trike.

You stated that you have greased the drive shaft, mine is due, how difficult is that chore? Motor Trike did it the last time it was done, but I will try it myself this time. As far as knowledge and ability goes I can do just about anything, I'm just not as nimble as I was a few years ago. I have a large grease gun with a 12 inch hose on it but I plan to get one of those small type so it will be easier to get in tight places. What advice can you give concerning greasing the drive shaft and how difficult is it? I have a Motor Trike Adventure Kit on a 2009 Gold Wing.

I'll trade a little information with you. As far as dust goes in the Austin area, I would say it is probably minimal, unless the previous owner lived on a dirt road. On the Texas plains that could be a big concern but, I wouldn't worry too much about the Austin area (JMO). Even on the plains, when the dust is blowing, most of us are in the truck, not on the trike.

You stated that you have greased the drive shaft, mine is due, how difficult is that chore? Motor Trike did it the last time it was done, but I will try it myself this time. As far as knowledge and ability goes I can do just about anything, I'm just not as nimble as I was a few years ago. I have a large grease gun with a 12 inch hose on it but I plan to get one of those small type so it will be easier to get in tight places. What advice can you give concerning greasing the drive shaft and how difficult is it? I have a Motor Trike Adventure Kit on a 2009 Gold Wing.

Thanks for the Austin conditions. It puts my mind at ease a lot.
Unfortunately if you have the original driveshaft.
Or have owned since new in 2009.
Pull the right front side cover.
The front is blue in color. Easily seen.
The new is green.
Mine was replaced under warranty after spitting out the front needle bearings.
The older shaft model has no lube points that Im aware of. Nor can nipples be added.
You may be able to dissemble it and pack the front u-joint??
But if you have that one and ride a lot. Id look into replacing it even at your own expense.
That's just me.
The newer one is that much better.

Aside from posts I made about it.
There a few others if you search here a bit.
From last ear or so.
http://www.motortrike.com/trikeHonda1800Adventure.aspx#honda-driveshaft

Mine went to heck spitting out the front needle bearings shortly after I bought it.
They have since redesigned the drive shaft with a much improved one that has grease points.

OK thanks, sounds simple enough. I'll have to pull the cover off and see what I have. Motor Trike worked on the U-Joint last year while I was at the factory having something else done, but I don't know whether they replaced it or not. If they didn't I will probably purchase the new shaft and replace it or let them do it sometime when I am down there. Is there no grease fitting for the rear joint?

I honestly don't know about the rear fittings??
I haven't been under the bike since September when the new shaft was put in and don't remember.
Ill look later tonight after work.

Mine is a 2012 and when I got it I checked or changed everything. The oil was the only thing that needed changing. The bike only had 9,800 miles on it when I got it.
I would consider a service manual and or Howard's videos.
Most of it is nothing but time consuming.

Brain fart time.
I cant tell you if yours has rear fittings as I don't have the old one anymore..........The new one has what appears to be a grease port for the rear joint though.
Id have to get a jack underneath and take a good look.
Ive only put 5K on the bike since Sept when it was replaced.
I usually look at these things during oil change time. For me that will be another 2500 miles.
Im going to go 7500 miles between oil changes this time.

Brain fart time.
I cant tell you if yours has rear fittings as I don't have the old one anymore..........The new one has what appears to be a grease port for the rear joint though.
Id have to get a jack underneath and take a good look.
Ive only put 5K on the bike since Sept when it was replaced.
I usually look at these things during oil change time. For me that will be another 2500 miles.
Im going to go 7500 miles between oil changes this time.
WOW that's a lota miles. RIDE SAFE

WOW that's a lota miles. RIDE SAFE

I have a ton of faith in Amsoil.
Ive had some different oils analyzed over the years in different bikes and cars.
7500 miles isn't a lot for most modern synthetics.
3K is a waste of oil.
5K is when I usally change it.
This Wing motor.
Im not a bit concerned with changing at 7500K.

Full synthetics don't break down or loose viscosity.
It just gets dirty.
Change the filter at about 3500-4K and top off.
You could go even more.

Look at the change interval of most new cars.
7500-10K range.
This motor isn't much different in that sense.
My V-Twin is a whole other issue.
Its a very dirty running motor.

http://www.searchforparts.com/motorcycle-oil/HONDA/2003/GL1800 Goldwing/1800/

They recommend a 7K change.
Its all up to how you feel about oils.
A lot of hype but also a lot of fact.

as yu may or may not know. I built and recently rebuilt JOY. the work you are talking about is easy. yes its a job getting the plastic body parts off. you only need to worry about the top cover very quick and easy once you do it a couple times.

the most difficult part of the check up is the valve adjustment. if you have never done this and don't have mechanical knowledge do not attempt this have the shop do it.

all other things are easy and very accessible.

your going to check fluid levels and change them. yes the manual will give you complete very informative instructions and you should have no issues.

the brakes are easy to once you get the front ones off the pads fall out with one bolt. the rear just remove the bolt they fall out.

you should get used to removing the top cover as this is how you clean your air cleaner. do yourself a favor and get the KandN filter. you need to clean this much more often than every 50,000. I would suggest 12,000 in this area.

good luck with your learning and have fun doing it, with the manual goldwings is fun to work on.

Im well aware of the maintenance of a Wing. I rebuilt a non running 99 Valkyrie. Tearing up an engine is nothing I haven't done before. The Valk had a K&N. I replaced that with a stock paper filter.
I had a Holley Powershot same thing on a Z-28 I raced for years. Never needed cleaning.
I just wasn't and still aren't interested in spending a lot of time removing basically the top end of the bikes innards just to get to a filter.
Local Honda stealer wants $700ish for the 24K check up or whatever mileage it is that I skipped.
Seems to me basically changing the air and oil filters. Im not too interested in that either.
Removing the stuff the manual calls for to just take a look at what is probably a still clean filter has to be done eventually.
The real question is one of when realistically. 24K, 50K ?? That's my real question.
Air filters don't really get very dirty down here. Just need a tap to get the sand out of them. That is what Id like to check up on regularly. The sand and grit factor. That's not to be ignored or taken lightly here.
None of my machines has ever had a filter that was so dirty it had to be tossed. Nor this difficult to get at.
Im being lazy here, not so much as cheap.

Welcome to the Trike Talk Community

Join our vibrant online community dedicated to all things Trikes! Whether you're a seasoned rider or just starting out, this is the place to share experiences, tips, and stories about your three-wheeled adventures. Explore modifications, maintenance advice, and rides, all while connecting with fellow trike enthusiasts from around the globe

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flyboy7312
Back